LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS1B 99-07 Pcm Tow/Haul mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1B 99-07 Pcm Tow/Haul mode

I'm not a big online poster...with that said.

A few* of months back I posted an device in a number of face book groups related to LS stuff. It is called the "Performance shift module" and that evolved into "Shift Smart". It emulated the switching conditions similar to that of an OEM BCM to turn on and off an indicator light when using pin 71 on the 99+ Ls1b pcm's. While it worked very well I wasn't happy with it and decided to take it one step further and actually replicate the function of the BCM....over the data bus. I'm here today because I'm releasing a time limited demo version of this....and more then likely you already have every thing needed to use it. Once I hacked the data bus apart and pulled out what I was after I got it up and running with some moderately expensive hardware.....once I had it working well enough that I couldn't find any faults with it I ported my work into cheaper hardware until the point I couldn't get any cheaper. In the past the Elm327 has been looked at as nothing more then a gimmick......well I'm changing that right now. I have been able to replicate the BCM's control parameters using a $4.99 Elm327 from Ebay and an Android phone. Now granted the 4.99 version BARELY works and it's beyond slow but it does work. Step that price up to about $9 shipped and it works every bit as good as a $100+ piece of hardware.* I've run the app with more then a 1/2 dozen different elm327 Bluetooth dongles* and haven't found one yet that it didn't work with.* So I don't have to type it out again here's the cliff notes regarding it's testing.

Shift Smart V2.1 - Here is a fully working trial version for Android using an Elm327 of your choice. I have tested this in 99, 2000,2002,2004&2006 Silverados with a 5.3, 2003,2004 & 2005 Express van's with 6.0 & 4l80E trans. I have also tested this in several swaps from trucks and vans. Pcm Service numbers I verified on some of the OE application and in Swaps *12586243*, *12589462*, *09354896*, *12200411*

Pcm MUST be set for Data Bus control of Shift Pattern - Or it won't work(literally it will do nothing)

Tested with various Elm327 devices - The $4.99(W/free Shipping) Blueberry off ebay does work but it's VERY slow(it's a **** device really). All the other Elm327 dongles I tested seemed to work fine with no noticeable delay or any type of errors. I have had really good luck with the $9-$22 dollar range version. Obviously the OBDLinkMx trumps them all but it's just wasted power for this, I can not tell any difference between a $9 dongle and a $90 dongle with the App in terms of response from the vehicle.

The only thing I have seen in swaps is it may set a U1026 or U1085 if the codes are not already disabled(Bcm lost comm error). I have not seen any codes set in pickups or in vans that were already equipped with a Tow/Haul switch and it gets along just fine with the stock bcm in those....it even turns on/off the indicator light on the dash.

I have plug pulled every dongle I have in just about every manner thinkable with no issues(other then a possible U code if they are not turned off in swaps). The software is no different then any other App you may have used with an Elm device and would carry the same risks. In the event the app were to crash Tow/haul will turn off automatically after about 3 seconds. If you shut the vehicle off but leave the App running...it'll be in Tow/Haul mode when you restart it(assuming the app is still paired with your dongle)

Last but not least.....the App has only been testing on Samsung phones running Android 5.1-7.01. The app should technically be compatible with any phone running Android 2.0 and higher. Phones with larger screens may have unusual graphic placement or image's may be stretched out of scale but it won't affect the app's usability. The App has been tested on 1 Android radio off Ebay and it was hit or miss with it. It was a pretty cheap radio running some re-skinned version of Android 5.0, the issue was it kept dropping the Bluetooth signal(likely radio related).

This is a trial version. I would like to hear if from you if any one has issues with phone compatibly and to see if there are Bluetooth dongles it doesn't work with. The app will reset every 90 seconds once it connects to a Bluetooth device. If Tow/Haul is on it will be turned off when the App resets.

A Hardware version of this is currently under development.

Please provide feed back....good or bad. If you have issues with your Elm working with this please include a picture of the dongle any any other details regarding it such as brand/model etc. If the app crashes, won't load or distorts the images... then please provide the type of phone, screen size and version of Android your running so I can track down compatibility issues. I have left a portion of the debugging log visible as well. If you encounter an issue and your able to screen shot it that would also be helpful. I have written the log so it's pretty basic text. You'll be able to tell if the log looks out of sync...it'll be that obvious.*

Now if your still reading.....this was just setting the ground work for the real data bus I plan to crack. I'll be moving this to the 4th gen LS platform and start working out the data buss for those engines(Can vs J1850vpw).* Since there is currently no way to* access the alternative shift tables in the 4th gen pcmse with out the BCM I figured it'd be something people should really be interested in. Some other things I've had request to try and work while I'm decoding the bus on the 4th gens are: cruise control, Ac request and tap shift..... of course all done over the data bus. Once I have the bus decoded it will follow the same method I did for the 3rd gen stuff. It'll be done as an App first, extensively tested and then moved to a hardware version once every thing is sorted out.*

Some of the devices I've tested with
imgur.com/a/srJJk

PCM Settings to make it work
imgur.com/a/CQnZM

Trial version of the App
dropbox.com/s/yceil4kzt6kac5k/ShiftSmartTrial.apk?dl=0