Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

CAMARO IROC-Z

Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 PM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAMARO IROC-Z

I'm posting some further photos of my car (I hope) but, unfortunately, I will not be able to continue on this site. I designed the new 383 engine for my Camaro from scratch, starting with painting the engine bay. While Hagerty was impressed enough to appraise it for $47,600 even with the old chipped paint and complimented me on the meticulous detail, I find myself unable to navigate this site without getting extremely frustrated. I hope you enjoy the photos.
Attached Thumbnails CAMARO IROC-Z-september-25-2008.jpg   CAMARO IROC-Z-september-26-2008-3   CAMARO IROC-Z-img_1569.jpg   CAMARO IROC-Z-aug.9-2006-edited_1.jpg   CAMARO IROC-Z-img_1408.jpg  

CAMARO IROC-Z-img_1382.jpg   CAMARO IROC-Z-img_2368.jpg   CAMARO IROC-Z-img_1358.jpg   CAMARO IROC-Z-november-1-2010-10   CAMARO IROC-Z-img_1378.jpg  

Old 12-30-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 HO
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: CAMARO IROC-Z

Beautiful car!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by dlinger
Beautiful car!
Thank you. Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 - full intake & exhaust boltons
Transmission: Bowtie 700r4, 2400 rpm stall
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 9bolt, 3.45 gears, posi

Very clean car!
Old 12-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by klydestanley
While Hagerty was impressed enough to appraise it for $47,600 even with the old chipped paint and complimented me on the meticulous detail,
I'm going to be skeptical until I can hear more about this car. Is it super low mileage or one of the more rare Camaros? Your Camaro looks great (really!) but I don't see any dramatic alterations that would make me think it's worth that much. There are guys on this site with LS swapped Camaros that also look fabulous that get appraised by a well known service for mid 20 to 30K. Lately I've been getting the impression that some of these appraisal guys might be a little over zealous. A great example is BlueZee28 who had his car appraised at mid 20K but then could only sell it for half that. I wonder if I had your appraisal guy come appraise mine what would he say it's worth? Mid 50-60K?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by Tibo
I'm going to be skeptical until I can hear more about this car. Is it super low mileage or one of the more rare Camaros? Your Camaro looks great (really!) but I don't see any dramatic alterations that would make me think it's worth that much. There are guys on this site with LS swapped Camaros that also look fabulous that get appraised by a well known service for mid 20 to 30K. Lately I've been getting the impression that some of these appraisal guys might be a little over zealous. A great example is BlueZee28 who had his car appraised at mid 20K but then could only sell it for half that. I wonder if I had your appraisal guy come appraise mine what would he say it's worth? Mid 50-60K?
You can be skeptical all you want. That's what it was appraised at by the most reputable appraiser in my city. Hagerty is a reputable company and I'm sure they wouldn't vulue the car at that figure if they though it was not worth it. They have been doing this for more than a minute. The figure is their value plus tax. It doesn't mean that's what someone would pay for a particular car, it's what it's value is. Any car is worth whatever one person is willing to pay for it. Who cares if a car has an LS engine. Maybe it's an LS 1. Maybe it's a high mile rescue from a wreck. Who know's. If I wanted an LS in my car i'd have done that. The one in my Vette is fine, but I don't like looking at it more than my TPI 383, which makes more power than most LS except for the highest end models or supercharged or turbos. I have forged everything and could easily make over 600 if I supercharged it. I don't want to, but if I do I can. I don't care what other people got their cars appraised at. If they sold it for half the value, then they should have kept it instead of taking a bath, either way, they wouldn't be handling my portfolio. If someone likes something that costs $100.00 enough to pay $1000.00 for it, then that's what it's worth to that particular person on that day. Geuss they didn't like the car enough to pay what it was valued at. My car has lots that you can't see and I didn't show, regardless, the point wasn't the value of my car which I could care less about. That's just good business sense to have it properly insured. The point was that doing the car was esier than learning this site. The skeptic in you chose to make the value the point. Happy New Year to you and your family.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85' IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0 HO L69
Transmission: 5-Speed

I love what you did with the engine bay
Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

You can be skeptical all you want. That's what it was appraised at by the most reputable appraiser in my city. Hagerty is a reputable company and I'm sure they wouldn't vulue the car at that figure if they though it was not worth it. They have been doing this for more than a minute. The figure is their value plus tax. It doesn't mean that's what someone would pay for a particular car, it's what it's value is. Any car is worth whatever one person is willing to pay for it. Who cares if a car has an LS engine. Maybe it's an LS 1. Maybe it's a high mile rescue from a wreck. Who know's. If I wanted an LS in my car i'd have done that. The one in my Vette is fine, but I don't like looking at it more than my TPI 383, which makes more power than most LS except for the highest end models or supercharged or turbos. I have forged everything and could easily make over 600 if I supercharged it. I don't want to, but if I do I can. I don't care what other people got their cars appraised at. If they sold it for half the value, then they should have kept it instead of taking a bath, either way, they wouldn't be handling my portfolio. If someone likes something that costs $100.00 enough to pay $1000.00 for it, then that's what it's worth to that particular person on that day. Geuss they didn't like the car enough to pay what it was valued at. My car has lots that you can't see and I didn't show, regardless, the point wasn't the value of my car which I could care less about. That's just good business sense to have it properly insured. The point was that doing the car was esier than learning this site. The skeptic in you chose to make the value the point. Happy New Year to you and your family.
You've been on this site since 2011 and you may have noticed that most thirdgens are not worth that, most well done resto-mods may not even be worth half that. So when you claim your car is worth nearly $48,000 you peak my interest and I want to know more. A Monologue about different values, business sense, vettes and portfolios isn't helping to give me or any other member a frame of reference for what Camaros with what modifications with what dealer package located in what area of the world are worth. If my prior post came off as passive aggressive, well sorry. So please, give us the details on the car with some more pics. If you haven't noticed, good pics of well done thirdgens are like soft-core **** for us here.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:07 PM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by 85IrocHO
I love what you did with the engine bay
Thank you bro. Happy New Year!!! Be safe!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:07 PM
Want a title? Post!

You've been on this site since 2011 and you may have noticed that most thirdgens are not worth that, most well done resto-mods may not even be worth half that. So when you claim your car is worth nearly $48,000 you peak my interest and I want to know more. A Monologue about different values, business sense, vettes and portfolios isn't helping to give me or any other member a frame of reference for what Camaros with what modifications with what dealer package located in what area of the world are worth. If my prior post came off as passive aggressive, well sorry. So please, give us the details on the car with some more pics. If you haven't noticed, good pics of well done thirdgens are like soft-core **** for us here.
My mom joined in 2011 and i haven't been on it since the other day, and believe it or not I haven't really looked at many members cars or their values. I just do what I want to do and what I want it to look like. Other people wanted me to put it up. I don't really like showing it, and I don't go to car shows, and I don't want or need any trophies. I don't like showing too much detail because i don't want to be copied. To me what I did had nothing to do with value or money, these are not investments. It's just a model and a toy. Again, I'm not claiming that it was appraised for 47K, it's fact. That's what it says on my Hagerty's insurance policy that I was sent, and should anything happen to the car, that is the agreed value I will receive. If it helps you to not believe this then that's fine. I didn't view it as a pissing contest, nor did I embelish the value. As I said the figure includes tax. One of the reasons i don't like showing it is that it becomes a contest. I'm sure your car, and many others on the site are much better and worth much more than mine, and it doesn't bother me at all. Some I like, and some I don't, and i just did mine the way I wanted, and never did it to see what number I could get out of it, and I hope everyone else did their's because that's what they wanted too. You seem fixated on the value, and why or how could it be worth so much. I'm not an appraiser, I'm just a pilot and a fan of 87 IROC's. If my car is only worth 15K to you, and isn't very well done, and your car is so much better, I can live with that. As long as i like my car, it's done right. None of these cars will ever be worth 6 figures as a collector piece, so if it's net worth you're looking for, it shouldn't be in your car. I can make you more money in other investments, I never mix the two. Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

I'm posting some further photos of my car (I hope) but, unfortunately, I will not be able to continue on this site. I designed the new 383 engine for my Camaro from scratch, starting with painting the engine bay. While Hagerty was impressed enough to appraise it for $47,600 even with the old chipped paint and complimented me on the meticulous detail, I find myself unable to navigate this site without getting extremely frustrated. I hope you enjoy the photos.
Thanks for sharing more photos. I don't know if you're using the mobile site or the full site, my experience has been that the full site is much better for starting threads and seeing more member information. The mobile site really sucks and I only use it to read New Posts or do basic text replies.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:14 AM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by Lurbie
Thanks for sharing more photos. I don't know if you're using the mobile site or the full site, my experience has been that the full site is much better for starting threads and seeing more member information. The mobile site really sucks and I only use it to read New Posts or do basic text replies.
LOL I didn't know there was a mobile site. You taught me something there. I think I'm using the full site, and am starting to get used to it, but it's not the most user friendly site to be sure. The thread wasn't so bad but the process to uplosd pics is a pain in the a--!! I'm in a few facebook groups and it's much faster and easier to upload pics there. I didn't really want to post on this site, because I have read some threads on these fb groups and they were kind of militant, but some of the people on there and my friends wanted me too. Just seems like rather than enjoying pics of members cars it becomes a contest of whose car is worth what, and everyone wants the recipie of what you did to your car then they tell you about a car that is better lol. Exactly why I will never attend a car show with my car. I just did it for fun and to see how good i could get it. I wasn't tryng to show anyone up, and I'm sure there are much nicer cars out there, this was just my vision of an 87 IROC-Z. I see you have a 383 as well, that's kool!!! Thanks for your help and I'm glad you liked the pics I managed to post. You and your family have a safe and Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

This site is sooo much more than just eye candy, and "whats my car worth" there is so much help and knowledgeable members here willing to help out with the how to's or how do's. That's what makes this site great, you can just check out others with nice cars like yours or you could follow someone's build to see just how they got their car to this point. Since my car is a work in progress while driving, this site has been invaluable to help me with problems and how to correct them. Most of the threads on here people kinda dance around the values of our cars, very rarely do members want to tell you what your car is worth. If you post what you car is worth of course someone will question it. If you didn't want a reaction you should just leave the value of what someone else thinks out of the post. You have a beautiful car and should be proud of the work you have done. I would want the world to see this car if it was mine and wouldn't be worried of copy cats as that is the most sincere way of flattery.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

BTW I love how you did your plenum. I did mine the opposite with red as the base and let the silver come through.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

That's a beautiful interior also. How do you like the gauge placement? I've considered that style, but was worried that the stock steering wheel would cover up those lower gauges.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:26 AM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by vinny R
This site is sooo much more than just eye candy, and "whats my car worth" there is so much help and knowledgeable members here willing to help out with the how to's or how do's. That's what makes this site great, you can just check out others with nice cars like yours or you could follow someone's build to see just how they got their car to this point. Since my car is a work in progress while driving, this site has been invaluable to help me with problems and how to correct them. Most of the threads on here people kinda dance around the values of our cars, very rarely do members want to tell you what your car is worth. If you post what you car is worth of course someone will question it. If you didn't want a reaction you should just leave the value of what someone else thinks out of the post. You have a beautiful car and should be proud of the work you have done. I would want the world to see this car if it was mine and wouldn't be worried of copy cats as that is the most sincere way of flattery.
Hi Vinny, thanks for writing. Nice pic of your car!! The reason that the value was posted, wasn't to raise the ire of any fellow members, as I'm sure there are much more expensive and nicer cars out there of course. There always are. Someone's is nicer or faster or costs more. The point was comical, in that doing my car, and overcoming some of the obsticals of customizing it wasn't that easy, and things came up that I didn't anticipate, yet it still seemed easier than navigating this site trying to post a thred and then the tedious process of posting pics. It wasn't meant to offend nor was it my goal in building the car. It was never a contest for me. Hagerty picked the most trusted appraiser in my city and they accepted his appraisal with the pics and agreed to the value of the car including tax. It just makes sense to insure something that one has put so much money into for the proper value. That was the number they came up with and it had nothing to do with my input. Skeptics can be skeptical all they like, I have the insurance papers, and i pay the premium, and that's the value on the form, so that means it's real, and a fact. I don't know what other people do because I don't live in their business. I'm not in high school anymore, and I'm too old to BS. It's not like I would get some kind of online trophy for padding the value of my car. Cars cross the block at Barett Jackson all the time that are valued at $90,000, and sell for say $52,000. Then they say the car was well bought. I'm sure the guy who owned it had it insured for it's value, $90,000, because that's what it would cost to replace it. The fact that on that day at that place, someone was only willing to pay 52K, is the market value. If 2 guys were there, and they liked it so much they got into a bid battle and one of them won the car for 112K, then that was the market value there and then, on that day. Thank you for the compliment and I'm glad you liked the pics. I do have more engine detail pics but am reluctant to post them. I may do a few more interior pic later. There are much nicer cars for the world to see, I just don't like showing it. My friend want's to this summer, so I told him I'll drive it there, and leave, and he can tell people it's his car. Just not into it. Have a happy and safe new year Vinny, thank you again.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:37 AM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by Lurbie
That's a beautiful interior also. How do you like the gauge placement? I've considered that style, but was worried that the stock steering wheel would cover up those lower gauges.
Hey bro. Thank you. I wanted to post more interior pics but I guess the limit for the thread was 10 pics. I'll try to do more interior only pics for you in another thread if you want. I love the gauges, but I do have to say that you are right. The 2 lower small gauges are a little hard to see with out moving your head a bit. I'm not sure why they didn't put them the opposite way, to the outer instead of the inner edges of the ponel. I think it has room and there is no obstruction there, but ive been to busy with the rest of the car to try to remedy that. They sell blank panels that you can put the gauges where you want but I think it will be hard to make the holes. Panel is just plastic. The gauges in the pic are not even the ones I use now. I changed to a black face gauge. I wanted the new engine to start at 0 so I got a new speedo and tach and will get the 4 small ones next month. again, I would have posted both with the before and after but was only allowed 10 pics. Overall I love the gauges though lol !!!!!!!!!!!! Have a Happy New Year bro!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 2wd
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2:73 open (for now)

If you haven't noticed, good pics of well done thirdgens are like soft-core **** for us here.
I love that LOL, that's hilarious....but true
Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28

When I first started on this site it was/is a little different in the way it is set up so had to adapt to become comfortable with it. I think it was worth the effort, feel welcome and stick around.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by irvan
When I first started on this site it was/is a little different in the way it is set up so had to adapt to become comfortable with it. I think it was worth the effort, feel welcome and stick around.
It's different for sure lol. Getting a little more used to it now. Thank you bro. Happy New Year!!!!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77 Posi

Good looking Iroc! Have enjoyed the pics.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by 1988 Iroc 5.7
Good looking Iroc! Have enjoyed the pics.
Thank you. Glad you liked them bro. Happy New year!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Hold up.. $48K value????? Did I read that right? I can see that from a low milage Firehawk or 88 89 low mileage 1LE but not a modified Iroc. I guess I should find your appraiser and have them come look my car over next month when I switch over to Hagerty.

Dont get me wrong, your car looks amazing and you did an awesome job modding it but I just dont see $48K here
Old 01-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
Hold up.. $48K value????? Did I read that right? I can see that from a low milage Firehawk or 88 89 low mileage 1LE but not a modified Iroc. I guess I should find your appraiser and have them come look my car over next month when I switch over to Hagerty.

Dont get me wrong, your car looks amazing and you did an awesome job modding it but I just dont see $48K here
No, I guess you didn't read it right. It said 47,600, not 48K as you said, and that includes tax. So the car portion is around 42K. Since I paid the bills for the parts and some of the work ,I can assure you that the bills show that to be the value. There's nothing in a 1LE car to make it worth that value, except rarety. I owned a 91 Z28 1 LE car. My bills for the parts etc show the value to be in line with what Hagerty's approved appraiser valued the car at, and if you don't see that, it may be because you're not an appraiser and didn't see everything in the car that the appraiser saw. It's amazing how so many people are appraisers when you put a value on a car. Should something happen to the car, that's the amount it woud take to replace it and what was done to it. After owning a 1 LE car, I know I wouldn't pay 42K for one, and it seems you would, so you can see how opinions and values vary. It doesn't matter if you see it or agree with it, Hagerty did, and that's what they do. Happy New Year !!!!! and good luck with your upcoming appraisal.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:31 PM

Car: 87 Iroc Convertible
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: G92

I find it odd that in the 3rd gen world so many people are really sensitive and vocal to prices/values that in their opinion are too high. It is almost like people are proud of how cheap and value depressed these cars have remained compared to 1st and 2nd gen cars?

I for one am all for your car being worth every bit of $47,600
. About time the market value of the really nice cars reflects how great these cars can be. Just like in real estate there will always be price point precedents set as prices rise with market conditions and supply of quality examples. Unfortunately though, I think the majority of cars out there fall into the rough/crappy/beat examples. These will not appreciate on anywhere near the same trajectory as the super nice and low mile original cars.

Also, I am sure most people restoring a 3rd gen are finding really nice/perfect/NOS parts are getting harder and harder to find let alone for reasonable prices. As these parts continue to rise in value it becomes much more expensive to restore these cars - this will eventually also have an impact on the pricing of the really nice/mint cars.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

First of all....Awesome Iroc!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the price/value, I think it's important for everyone to keep in mind the elusive definition of the word "value". My wife wears my great grandmother's 100 year old wedding diamond in her wedding ring. Sure, we have insured for "x" dollars, but there's really no price tag I can put on it. ....and the price of all the parts purchased in this Iroc can be tallied up to place value, or you can "value" it at what someone would pay.

Would it cost $35k or $40k, maybe $45k to start from scratch and remake this car? -I totally believe it. I bet I have $30k EASY in mine, and that's without paint! ...I can completely understand wanting that money in the event of a loss. That being said however, in this hobby, when we typically say "value", we typically mean what an expected sale price would be. Prices ARE going up, but right now, collectable and some rare optioned cars ARE going for that price, but not many custom/restomods.

In defense of the OP, he didn't specify exactly how and what led to any given price/value. Insurance value, sale value, parts value etc. No need to make a huge issue of it.

In defense of those who've questioned it, well, the OP did publicly list dollar value, and lots of us on TGO do track and discuss current market trends, so if you put it out there...it's GOING to be discussed.

Again, it's not about the money, and you've created an awesome example of what our cars can be! Great job!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 AM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by Abubaca
First of all....Awesome Iroc!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the price/value, I think it's important for everyone to keep in mind the elusive definition of the word "value". My wife wears my great grandmother's 100 year old wedding diamond in her wedding ring. Sure, we have insured for "x" dollars, but there's really no price tag I can put on it. ....and the price of all the parts purchased in this Iroc can be tallied up to place value, or you can "value" it at what someone would pay.

Would it cost $35k or $40k, maybe $45k to start from scratch and remake this car? -I totally believe it. I bet I have $30k EASY in mine, and that's without paint! ...I can completely understand wanting that money in the event of a loss. That being said however, in this hobby, when we typically say "value", we typically mean what an expected sale price would be. Prices ARE going up, but right now, collectable and some rare optioned cars ARE going for that price, but not many custom/restomods.

In defense of the OP, he didn't specify exactly how and what led to any given price/value. Insurance value, sale value, parts value etc. No need to make a huge issue of it.

In defense of those who've questioned it, well, the OP did publicly list dollar value, and lots of us on TGO do track and discuss current market trends, so if you put it out there...it's GOING to be discussed.

Again, it's not about the money, and you've created an awesome example of what our cars can be! Great job!
Thank you very much. I appreciate your compliment and the second rational point of view regarding the value listed for my car in the post. Again, the value wasn't listed to offend anyone, but only to illustrate my frustrtion with navigating this site in comparison with how hard it was to do the car. You know, funny, not controversy. I live in Canada. When I buy a part for the car, I pay an additional 25 to 30% on the dollar exchange now and a brokerage fee for them allowing the part into the country, then they tax me on the U.S. cost I paid for the part. At times, thankfully in 2014 when I bought the bulk of engine parts including the all forged bottom end,our dollar was at par. Over the years when I was buying parts for the car that didn't prevent me from driving it, our dollar was also terrible!! I didn't list an itemized account of the parts recipe to recreate the car nor the prices for each part. I didn't know that's what it was all about, I guess i'm ignorant of that. I do know that just to send my T5 to PA from eastern Ontario, to have $2750 US dollars work done on it, near 4K Canadian, to handle 600 HP, it cost me $490. Canadian. When they sent it back, it was a bargain at $190 US or $250 Canadian to me. The Quicktime bell housing was $1150 Canadian. The Ram clutch was $459 Can. flywheel $349 the clutch master $400. My Baer front brake kit was $2200. My AutoMeter Elite gauges were over $1800. Without listing anymore parts for the recipe to build my car ,something I never wanted to do, I can tell you that what I paid for the parts over the years to get it this way, cost even more that the appraised value. Just in US dollars, if I listed all the parts for the car, and what they cost, it would be several thousand less than the appraisal I recieved, and thats not taking into account the 25 to 30% extra I pay on every dollar, or the taxes and brokerage fees that would easily add up to more than 10K Canadian alone. Some of the parts on the car are not made anymore and are very rare, espesially my front control arms. If any would be appraisers want to put up some serious money, then step up, cause I'll take that action all day long!! I'll bring all the receipts and a calculator, and easiy get to 47K US which would be without the tax added value I got from Hagerty, not to mention not adding the taxes and brokerage fees I have paid and don't get real value for, or the 25 to 30% extra I pay on every dollar that a part costs me. Then when they pick up their eyeballs off of the floor, and put them back in their sockets, they can pay me what they owe me for losing the bet. Thank you again for your rational well thought out comments. It's refreshing to know some people have an open mind and can think rationally about a topic without it turning into a competition. My car is just my view of what I wanted an 87 IROC-Z28 to look and perform like. If someone likes it, that makes me happy, and if they don't, it doesn't bother me at all. I like it and that's all that matters since I paid the bills. Thank you again, and have a happy and safe new year.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:28 AM
Want a title? Post!

Originally Posted by pwessels
I find it odd that in the 3rd gen world so many people are really sensitive and vocal to prices/values that in their opinion are too high. It is almost like people are proud of how cheap and value depressed these cars have remained compared to 1st and 2nd gen cars?

I for one am all for your car being worth every bit of $47,600
. About time the market value of the really nice cars reflects how great these cars can be. Just like in real estate there will always be price point precedents set as prices rise with market conditions and supply of quality examples. Unfortunately though, I think the majority of cars out there fall into the rough/crappy/beat examples. These will not appreciate on anywhere near the same trajectory as the super nice and low mile original cars.

Also, I am sure most people restoring a 3rd gen are finding really nice/perfect/NOS parts are getting harder and harder to find let alone for reasonable prices. As these parts continue to rise in value it becomes much more expensive to restore these cars - this will eventually also have an impact on the pricing of the really nice/mint cars.
Thank you, fellow Canadian lol, for sharing your realistic point of view which I obviously agree with. I didn't even consider your point about the parts. My front lower control arms were purchased in 93 from a company that no longer exhists, and their very trick design was never replicated that I have seen. They are tubular and have the spring perches sunken in the frame 2 inches, so the car is lowered 2 inches, with the stock hight spring, so the suspenssion doesn't lose it's proper travel. My TPIS Big Mouth manifold is the most saught after TPI manifold out there. They were cast in batches of 500 twice, making it fairly rare. It cost me $550 US in the early 90's as did the large tubes. Our dollar was at .73 cents then and at times .68 cents. I know you understand exchange rate and brokerage fees and additional taxes on US purchased parts, and know that if that were added to the appraisal, the figure would be much higher. I didn't even receive extra value for that in the appraisal and still got to that very real figure. Thank you for your prespective and I hope you have better weather in B.C. than I have here in eastern Ont!!! lol Have a great new year!!! #springtime
Old 01-05-2017, 05:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Is your appraisal value in CAD? If so then that should put the value, in US dollars somewhere in the $35k range. And what's this tax value you mention that's been added into the total value? A cars appraisal value does not include taxes paid on parts to build it.

What do you value your TPIS intake at? They may be hard to find but it's not impossible.

Last edited by BOTTLEDZ28; 01-05-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Old 01-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Right? Where is the reclining chair emoticon?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Old 01-06-2017, 06:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Old 01-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Supreme Member

I brought it up early on that the amount seemed high and I got the Holier than thou attitude so I forgot about about this thread. Now I see that it has picked up steam and I'm no longer alone in that opinion. I am assuming that the OP has an "Agreed upon Value" with Hagerty wherein Hagerty sends out a rep to make sure some clown doesn't insure some POS Camaro for $100,000 and then wrecks it for payment. It's also why the OP keeps saying that it includes sales tax. Hagerty agrees that the amount is within reason and insures it for that amount. As was stated the OP is insuring the car for the sum of all parts, not what the car is actually worth.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...value-coverage
What is the difference between Agreed Value and Stated Value Insurance coverage?

An Agreed Value policy (which is the same as Hagerty’s Guaranteed Value policy) guarantees the policy will pay the full insured amount of the vehicle, inclusive of all sales taxes – with no depreciation – in case of a covered total loss. A stated value policy (sometimes called stated amount or maximum limit of liability) does not promise upfront to pay this stated amount. In the event of a covered total loss, it may pay less than the stated amount, as the insurer has the right to pay the lesser of your collector car’s depreciated actual cash value (ACV) or its replacement cost. Also, many insurers that offer stated value policies require periodic appraisals to substantiate the insured amount, adding cost and inconvenience to the client.

There are three types of value related coverage offered in the auto insurance industry today:

Actual Cash Value: This is the coverage type found most often on homeowners policies. It pays out a depreciated, “book value” in the event of a claim. The older the vehicle on this kind of policy, the less value it has.
Stated Value: These policies are better than Actual Cash Value because they allow you to “state” a value for your boat greater than its depreciated book value. But, these policies can still depreciate vehicles, because they usually allow the insurance company to pay “up to’ the stated policy amount.
Agreed Value: Only Agreed Value polices guarantee you will get all of your insured value back in the event of a total loss. There is no depreciation of a vehicle’s value with an Agreed Value policy, although many companies will still apply a deductible in the case of a total loss. Hagerty Classic Auto Agreed Value policies waive the deductible in the event of a total loss.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Agreed.

I have an "Agreed Value" Policy with Hagerty too. They told me I could go up to $20k without an in person appraisal of my requested value. ...and for the yearly premium, $20k worked out ok for me, so I had no in person appraisal. They just wanted about 5 pics of certain angles, interior, engine etc.

I highly doubt I could sell for $20k, and yet I have more than that invested. That being said, in the event of a total loss, $20k would get me back in the game without starting over.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Abubaca
As for the price/value, I think it's important for everyone to keep in mind the elusive definition of the word "value". My wife wears my great grandmother's 100 year old wedding diamond in her wedding ring. Sure, we have insured for "x" dollars, but there's really no price tag I can put on it.
I have a similar situation, I have the Revolver that belonged to my Great (however many times) Grandfather that he used in the Civil War. Insurance company had no clue how to value it and basically told us the same thing, that whatever they insure it for won't be what it's worth to us, rather just what an actual civil war pistol sells for.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 720 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Id take a bone stock low mileage LB9 5spd or L98 car any day over this 47k car. It is nice but for 47k..Give me a break
Old 01-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 HO

Apologies to the OP for the negative comments. You have a very nice build and your should be proud. I personally would not pay $47K either. Reason is I don't have it piling up in my bank that I can. If somebody has the money but not the know how, we have no idea what they would pay. I wonder what it would cost to duplicate what he has done by paying somebody.

My 75 Nova would no way be sold for 20K. But that is what I have it insured for, because that is what it would have taken years ago to replace. Probably way too low right now. My daughter's 84 Camaro would probably not be sold for 6K, but I have more than that in it and I have a lot more I could spend on it if I could.

I see everyday cars for sale for way more than I would pay. But then I look at my junk and think it's worth way more than what I would get.

That being said, would somebody please turn up the thermostat outside. I had to steal the battery out of my Nova to put in my work pickup to get to the office yesterday when the temp was 8 below!!!

Search this Thread