Mid-West Region Regional message board for WI, IL, IA, MI, MO, and MN to organize gatherings, meetings, and to help each other out.

are people actually this stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok well here in the cities we finally got some decent winter weather this weekend.. and sunday(today) i had to work..figured we would be busy with the usual winter items...well we were..but what amazed me is that i had a customer come in with a trans am today..driving it and all..and then he needed winter blades for it....then he was bitching that it was hard to drive it in the snow and...hello dumba** its mn out the dang car away and drive something that isnt made for summer only...best part was he wasnt from mn normally just living up here for the year..dumb people who dont know any better not to drive these cars during winter need to belong back down south..
anyone else see any cars the should be put away running down the road yet?

sorry just had to vent
Old 01-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: FBODYS
Engine: ALWAYS 8'S
Transmission: ALWAYS MENTAL
Axle/Gears: RUSTY AND BRAND NEW
Yea like down in Iowa. I am guilty till wednesday when the winter driver is finished with an emergency engine swap. The trip to Colorado netted a cracked block on the TA...yes I said TA. I'm almost kicking myself for drivin' a 76,000 mile bird in the winter! I think it's the first one it has seen.

And for the record I saved it from a 17 year old who was going to "PIMP THE RIDE". Then his old lady suddenly became pregnant.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep seeing Z06 corvettes down here in des moines in the snow.:shrug:
Old 01-04-2005, 10:27 PM

Car: 87 Formula
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock 9 bolt
i can top that i saw a c6 coverd in salt the other day!!!! wish i hada cam to take a pic of that one but he was canadian so that explains that haha
Old 01-05-2005, 02:27 AM

we all dont have other cars...its mine and i will do as i please with it..
Old 01-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

if you can afford a corvette than you should be able to afford a 100 dollar beater to drive in the winter.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:50 PM

Car: 86 iroc
Engine: crappy 350 crate i am building up
Transmission: 700r4
here in the omaha and council bluffs area we jus had a big winter storm and i was leaving the mall yester day (with my truck) when the weather was begingin to start again and i say a c6 vett and a c5 vett on the highway. one had a nebraska plate and the other had an iowa plate. at that point i just dont understand how they can drive it in the winter and like it. ( all i hear is ohhhh i have traction control) ok that sounds good but you have 4 inchs of ground clearence with over 12'' of snow on the ground

i can understand a camaro or firebird if it is the only car but like stated above if you can afford a vett why not a $500 winter beater?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:36 AM

Car: 91 Camao RS, 64 Beretta Z26, 98 Silverado Z71
Engine: 3.1-Camaro, 3100- Beretta, 5.7-Silverado
Transmission: 700R4, 4t60e, no crew
Originally posted by AaronIROCZ
if you can afford a corvette than you should be able to afford a 100 dollar beater to drive in the winter.
If you know where I can get a $100 dollar beater that wouldn't cost me $500 or more just to get it road worthy, let me know. I'll take a dozen.

Do you people actually believe all this bull you are writing, having a nice car does not mean that someone has the money for a second car.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:06 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
LOL, by the time they make the monthly's, insurance, licesence and registration on those vette's there probably aint much left over to afford another car.

Thing about most people with money, most are just getting by like us with no money. Alot of people make more, so they spend more. Classic commercial is the guy talking to you telling about his 5 bedroom house, belongs to the country club, has a new car, etc...however it goes, then still smiling says "I'm in debt upto my eyeballs"

That's the funniest commercail I've seen in a long time since it's soo true for many people. What we perceive is often far from the truth. "He's rich" nahh, the bank has some cool toys.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by redRS
If you know where I can get a $100 dollar beater that wouldn't cost me $500 or more just to get it road worthy, let me know. I'll take a dozen.

Do you people actually believe all this bull you are writing, having a nice car does not mean that someone has the money for a second car.
At the same time, if you buy a nice car and can't afford a beater, then you probably can't afford a nice car to begin with. I've been wanting a camaro since I was a kid and when I finally could afford a nice car, you know what I bought? ... Trailblazer. I could have gone and bought a camaro for less than what I paid for the SUV, but I didn't. It took additional 3 years since then before I could buy a camaro and start restoring it.

Later I also bought a beater for $100 and yeah it cost me $700 (plus more repairs later) to make it road worthy.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:07 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Formy droptop/88 Deville
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: factory RWD, WS6 susp
Originally posted by black84z28-4spd
we all dont have other cars...its mine and i will do as i please with it..
I agree, love to preserve AND drive, but fact is, ain't gonna happen in my case either, and I did buy a Deville that's in better shape and so far, still parked. I'd feel better drving it because so much is mechanically sound, but as well, so much is rust free, it would likely invite disaster. My Firebird gets me around on the relatively fat stock 16" meats. When it was snowing fairly normal, in past years, I'd often get stuck at least once but Minnesotans are also VERY helpful in getting people out of situations like that... I can attest

I'm with STupiD -=>:lala:
Old 01-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73
yes, let me know what you are looking for. I find them all the time. some times it takes a good month or two but, yes I find them all the time.

my wife drives a very nice 97 grandam (almost perfect).. got it for free and put 500.00 in it.

my beater is rusty but runs and drives great! I had to look all over till I found this car (specific one) got it for 300.00 ? (it's been a while) only things I have done is brake pads and shoes and water pump (all over the past few years)

I sold my wifes old car to one of my buddies for 200.00, nothing wrong with it just rusty and she wanted the nice new looking car (I got that one for free years ago and put new tires and battery and brakes on it shortly before I got rid of it)

the list goes on and on
Old 01-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

I just bought one 3 years ago for 100.00. A 87 Toyota pickup, 27 dollars for regirstration (sp), and 200 dollars for insurance for 6 months, so all in all it cost me 327.00 to own it, and the good thing about is it changed its own oil, leaked about 4 qts a month and allI had to do was put a quart in every week and a new filter every month. So don't tell me they aren't out there. Im sure that that truck was cheaper to own than 6 months of insurance on a new vette.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
I drive my T.A. year round. 15" steel rims with 195/75/15 Perrelli S2's get me around just fine. 210 pounds of sand in the hatch help it out even more. I got moon discs this year to get rid of the Wal-Mart hubcaps I had last year... The car actually does really, really well in the snow compared to several all season-tired front wheel drive vehicles I've had. I got myself out of a foot deep pile of snow this morning...
Old 01-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
I drove my old 93 Camaro with 275/40zr17's all the way around one winter, it was my daily driver while my Formula and 84 sat (the 84 is gone now). It's not that big of a deal.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:32 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro Z-28 IROC
Engine: 5.0 305ci TPI
Transmission: 700R4
This Stupid

I saw a 2002 SS Camaro and a Z06 Corvette in the same day, driving down the road in Rockford ILL right after they got 12 inches of snow..The roads were covered with salt, snow and slush..I can`t believe people are that stupid to drive their cars in weather like this..they just don`t get it..You guys are so right, how hard is it to buy a beater to drive in the winter..People like that just have NO pride in what they have..
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by bnoon
I got myself out of a foot deep pile of snow this morning...

so anything will move with weight added to it..my truck i had ot have 500 pounds in the back to keep that thing from walking around itself during the winter..but when it came to deep snow them boggers clwed right throught it..lol

its not the snow and the ease or dis-ease of driving during the winter..its the fact of these cars should be preserved..do you relize what that winter driving is allowing to get on your car and eat at it..thats my big shock..that people dont care if the salt eats at it and the cars rust after a few years..but hey if they got the money to redo the body then i guess oh well..i think most people who are true sportsmen of the auto industry know better
Old 01-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: FBODYS
Engine: ALWAYS 8'S
Transmission: ALWAYS MENTAL
Axle/Gears: RUSTY AND BRAND NEW
Ive sat idle enuff since my last post in this thread!

I spend more money washing my cars every winter than most of you(GRIPERS) spend in proper maintenence on your "GOOD " car. I drive F-bodys year round because I refuse to drive anything else. I plan accordingly and drive a parts car in the winter.

In the spring it gets cut up and many of the people on here reap the benifits. If my choice of transportation bothers you come to my house at first thaw and bring money. I help many people out all the time.

I hunt like a madman to find good deals on cars that arent worth restoring but yield rare parts that most of us need. I put them up for sale after 3-4 months of regular road use to test that they are fit to be sold for your jems.

HATE me for my practice and hate me for lookin out for YOU!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by KEVIN L.
Ive sat idle enuff since my last post in this thread!

I spend more money washing my cars every winter than most of you(GRIPERS) spend in proper maintenence on your "GOOD " car. else. I plan accordingly and drive a parts car in the winter.

keywords to see...most of you...sorry but my car gets covered during the winter months.plus it gets washed every month as it sits in the shop..and normal maintenence..haha..im under the hood of that thing at least once a week anything that is the slight bit off im fixing it or changing it..money for these cars to do preventive maintenence isnt a problem..

and look even you dont drive your normal f-body during the winter months..so i wouldnt say id would be hating you..if you buy a junker..and drive that then fine..even if it may be an f-body..but it isnt by no means a beauty contest winner..
Old 01-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Re: are people actually this stupid?

Originally posted by Phoenix8936
i didnt even read your rant at first... i already knew the answer was YES.

and on the subject, not everyone gives a crap about their car. look at what most "normal" people do.. esp what "rich vette drivers" do...
they drive the car a couple years... then they trade it in.

so the vette owner probly doesnt give a ****.. since in 2 or 3 years, he'll get a new vette...... or he just doesnt have another car, so he doesnt care.

friend of mine just drove from here (charleston, SC) to michigan somewhere.... in his 4thgen formy.
why?
because he doesnt care, its his daily driver.. he has a 79 firebird race car and a old GTO for toys...

just because you see them driving on the street, doesnt mean they're ignorant.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
Originally posted by Phoenix8936
so anything will move with weight added to it..my truck i had ot have 500 pounds in the back to keep that thing from walking around itself during the winter..but when it came to deep snow them boggers clwed right throught it..lol

its not the snow and the ease or dis-ease of driving during the winter..its the fact of these cars should be preserved..do you relize what that winter driving is allowing to get on your car and eat at it..thats my big shock..that people dont care if the salt eats at it and the cars rust after a few years..but hey if they got the money to redo the body then i guess oh well..i think most people who are true sportsmen of the auto industry know better
The car moves just fine without the weight. The sand tubes are there for added insurance. Without the S2 snow tires on it though it's an entirely different story. I will never drive anything in winter without snow tires again, front, rear, or all wheel drive... I'm currently looking for a mid 80's pickup truck to restore to trade off driving duties with the T.A., but only because I need to haul things from time to time. Neither will sit in the winter.

I've never had any of my cars rust out. My 86 TA came from Nebraska, where it was a daily driver year round for the lady that owned it. Three winters later it's still rust free, let alone being a rust free midwestern car for the past 19 years total. Rust buckets are that way because of neglect, not from their intended use.

What's the point of owning a car if you put it away 6 months out of the year? Go buy a Hot Wheels car and stick it on a shelf...