OLD Third Gen Fest Discuss plans for the IL gathering set for May 27th-28th.

My Views and Issues on Thirdgen Fest

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
My Views and Issues on Thirdgen Fest

Mods, I wish to keep this post open and clean, that means edit at will, but please dont close it unless you really feel that it is the right thing to do.

If someone posts in anger or abusively please delete their post. If they cant express themselves without it, it obviously means they cant.

Is Thirdgen Fest worth going to?

I would have to answer yes and I plan to attend and hopefully bring my Formula and my Turbo Trans AM.

Why am I going?

Where else can I see this many thirdgens in one place? Whether they are concours or project status.

Why are people boycotting?

I'm not quite sure. The $35 admission is a bit high in my own opinion. U do get free beer on fri nite party before thirdgen fest and free food and drink at thirdgen fest during the day. It also entitles u to a raffle ticket for the 82 Pace Car Camaro. Looking at the overall perspective, its not too bad. Costs u that much or more to race your car on test and tune nite or to take the fmaily out to eat.

The parking debacle?

Everyone whines and cries about parking their car here or there. Anyone who has been to Thirdgen Fest has to be blind if they never realized this only lasts in the early hours of the show. By the end of the day, everything is parked everywhere as people come and go.

Why has parking been setup like that in the first place?

Duhhh! Picture Joe Dirt in a 87 Iroc and look what you have there? Our cars are stereotyped and everyone here even whines and cries about seeing crappy looking thirdgens running around the street. Mine arent perfect either. They look presentable and all panels are painted. But thats about it, especially for my Formula. Is it so wrong that we want to have some nice clean pictures so when the phots from Thirdgen Fest are found on the ent people want to come to the event? Or are we supposed to advertise it and tell people about it with a multi-hued Iroc or Bird with the nose smashed in and cracked glass? All we ask for is for clean cars to park in the frt rows so we can get clean pictures of thirdgens. Notice we didnt say showcars, just clean cars with the same colored paint on the entire body and no primer fenders.
We never did it to bash your car, we did it for advertising and memebers to take home some nice pictures of thirdgens in a row for more than anything and this year is also a car show.

Name another thirdgen related gathering as big and in your back yard?

Wait a minute, I didnt hear you. Oh yeah, there isnt one! The Iowa get together has a following and I'm not sure about the 'Nationals, but I do know they arent in my backyard. We may even be able to rent the track at the same time next year and have a Thirdgen Fest Weekend with Denny's for car show and Rt 41 for racing.... for laughs, go to the F-Body Bash in bowling green KY. See what cred thirdgens get there. Camaro, they might remember ask something about a firebird and its what? Heck, last year what maybe a 130 people showed? It wont survive either, and whiney babies will then cry about that too, I'm sure of it.

Why did I post this?

Denny payed me too (I'm just kidding, he doenst know of this and I am posting my feelings on it , since I have been involved since the original Fest) It and my board ahve grown together and whether I like it or not, I am about furthering thirdgenners as a whole.

What are we going to do?(am I going to do?)

Option here is fairly simple. The classic line of use it or lose it comes to mind. U either take what we have and find ways to make it better or you kick it to the curb and wonder what happens next.. I dont think people here understands what it takes to mod a board from the beginning or keeping your mouth shut when someone makes u mad cause its for a greater good. Most have no clue what it takes to set up a real gathering or a track day or give any respect to those who do. I know who does what and I respect them for that. I also know how much time and effort I have put into my board, let alone helping other members with their cars as well.

Why should I go if I dont like ----------(fill in the blank)?

How are you going to make it better? Try to show some restraint and post a real idea for making it better, whether it is this event or the enxt one. This wasnt posted to start a war or a holier than thou thread, its my real opinions and views on why people are standing on the sidelines when we have less than a mth left.

If you cant reply to this respectfully and thoughtfully, then dont reply at all(here is an example: If a member helped you out or lent you something and you cant/wont return the favor, keep it to yourself)

thank you
Jeremy
Old 05-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Peg Leg
Very informative.

Side note, where is the link for information like buying tickets etc?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Car: 91 Bird
Engine: 3.1 w00t
Transmission: 7hundo
Axle/Gears: bent
jeremy i am toatally with you on this one......ok guys i'm 17, my car doesnt look good paint wise.....but i love it. i dont even have a job, but i am finding a way to get to thirdgen fest

i am also scrabling to get my car done with the help of tim (9D1BURD).

as for the parking goes? i really dont care about where my car gets parked, the only thing thirdgenfest is really about is a bunch of people getting together and having a fun time enjoying the cars we all love

and if people really are getting pissy about the $35 fee......come on.....i'm sure you can find a way to get $35
Old 05-02-2005, 04:01 PM

btw......the NW board rules
Old 05-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 Chevy Avalanche
Engine: Some that run, some that don't
Transmission: 700R4's, a T-5, and a Turbo 350
Originally posted by cooltc2004

Side note, where is the link for information like buying tickets etc?
You can check the "Thirdgen Fest Registration and ticket sales" post for more information. If you need additional information you can e-mail or PM me.

I would just like to make a couple comments to what Jeremy had to say. First of all, I really don't think that many people are boycotting the party. Not that many people have registered yet but there's still two weeks left for early registration. I've always guessed most people would wait until the last minute. Hey, I'm sure I'd do the same thing. We're still expecting Thirdgen Fest '05 to be the biggest event yet and I'm confident it will be.

I would also like to mention something about the price. A lot of people feel that the $35 is too high. The two other gatherings (Thirdgen Nationals and Midwest F-body meet) have both announced their pricing for this year and both are comparable.

Thirdgen Fest '05 costs $35 per car. It doesn't matter if you have one person or four in your car the price is the same!!! That price includes admission to both days. Friday night is free beer, chips, etc. Saturday is all you can eat. It also gets you one free ticket for the car raffle.

Thirdgen Nationals cost $23 per car (one person) plus $10 each additonal person. That price is admission to the Nationals (one day) only. The track day (second day) is an additional $35 per car and $10 each for spectators.

The Midwest F-body Meet is only one day and costs $20 per car (one person) plus an $3.50 meal ticket for each additional person. Beer is not included and costs extra. Also, the meal ticket only gets you one meal. If you want additional food it costs extra. Also, there is a 50/50 raffle that is extra.

Of course, each party has different things to offer but all three seem to be comparable. I've been told by people who have attended the other events that Thirdgen Fest is clearly the best. I'm not trying to bash the other events but I'm just stating what I've been told. I think the car raffle is what really separates Thirdgen Fest from the other two. I mean, for $35 you can come to both days and still have a chance to go home with a very nice car!!! Also, it's not some beater, it's a 70,000 mile '82 Z28 Indy Pace car. If you don't want the car, you can take $2500 cash instead. The car is probably worth somewhere between $3000 and $4000 so you could sell it if you want and make more.

I think when you compare the three Thirdgen Fest probably offers the most for your money. All three cost about the same but at Thirdgen Fest you have a chance to win a car. What's really funny though is the fact that this event is the ONLY one that has anybody complaining about the price. I'm not really sure why that is, maybe it's because the party was free the first three years.

That said, we're expecting to be swamped with registration and ticket sales soon. We've got lots of registration packets here waiting to be sent out. The trophies are here as well and we're working hard to make sure Thirdgen Fest '05 is the best event yet and we're sure everybody who attends will agree.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 RS, 05 GTO (sold), 10 TL AWD
Engine: 383 HSR w/DSC1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60/3.73
all of these reasons are why I am comming and why I would like everybody else to come. if anything just to share stories about your car and how it came to be. I am a car nut through and through, my favorite times are spent hearing how people acquired there cars and what they have done to them since then. in my experience most car nuts enjoy exactly the same thing. the $35 is a small price to pay to do such things with people who are not just car nuts, but nuts about the same exact car as yours. that is something you don't get to do every day. I have also learned quite a bit about our cars at this gathering, especially about all the tpi stuff I needed to see in person for my swap. chances are there will be someone at the fest who has done the mod you are thinking about doing next and you can gain a lot from there experience and possibly save yourself some money by doing it yourself and not having to pay someone. you may also gain a set of helping hands when you tackle it too . I guess that is my piece.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:12 PM

Car: 1990 TA, 1995 Sierra 1500
Engine: 305tpi to LT1 mod, 305 TBI
Transmission: 4L60E with 3000 Stall, 5spd
unless you work at mcdonalds and are supporting a family on it i dont really see what the problem with paying 35 bux is? 35 bux to feed 2 people (in my case) all day alone is worth it but then you also get to hang out with some cool people and have a chance to win a sweet thirdgen. I cant wait to go and say hi to the people that have helped me here on the boards.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
the only comment i can possibly add is Denny has helped me out on numerous occasions to get me parts to get my car up to the level that it is at now. For the first three years I've eaten food every year for free, but always made sure to purchase parts while I'm there since I know that's how he makes a living. I do not condone the complaining at all, and it sounds trashy to do so. If you're going to come, I will say that in the past three years I have looked forward to the gathering every year and will continue to do so in the future. $35 is cheap when I think of what he's giving out: ie the 82 pace car in a raffle. Thanks again Denny, you have my support.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
Okay, looks like I'm not the only one who thinks that way :-)

thanks for keeping the answers clean and supportive.

I'll be there, not quite sure on exactly which cars I will have there, but I will be there one way or another.

Have to support what we preach or it makes us a hypocrites :-)

later
Jeremy
Old 05-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Car: 1997 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
jeremy i am toatally with you on this one......ok guys i'm 17, my car doesnt look good paint wise.....but i love it. i dont even have a job, but i am finding a way to get to thirdgen fest
If andrew can make it, anyone can, lol. Don't worry bud, we will get your car there.

I will be there also, call it a change of heart, or call it not caring about anything and just wanting to have a good time at the party.

Hope to see some nice cars there.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:35 PM

Car: 1991 pontiac GTA, and a1992 pontiac firebird
Engine: 5.7 l98, and a 3.1 for now
Transmission: 700-r4s
i cant understand why any one would not want to go. i told my manager i would quite if i dint get the 27-29th off. but i am going to try and keep my realself seperate from my third gen handel......i make lots of enemys......and its purely by accident.
hope to see you all there, even if only a few will know its me.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
People are cheap

This whole price thing is funny to me. I make about $60,000.00 plus some more non taxed money too. Plus my wife has a nice job and my two sons have a job. Now I am not rich but damn if I can't afford $35 dollars that is just plain sad. In fact I am bringing two third gens. I figure if everyone boycots and all goes well I may leave thirdgenfest with THREE thirdgens. So personally if people don't come I will just socialize with those that do and not worry about the others as I drive my new PAce car into the sunset.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85z28,
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Well u all know I will be there. And I'm with steve dennys has help me out (saved me time and money) In the last year since I have knew him. And I'm sure he would do the same for anybody else. So I don't know how anyone complain about 35 bucks. Stay home a few night, don't eat out them few times. U will have 35 bucks in no time. And not only that its not like denny is trying to get rich off chargeing people. But he has the same love for these cars as we all do and wants to have some were we can all get together and hang out. Well its not free to buy meat,buns,car,pop,ice,beer,trophies,ect,ect,

About parking who cares.. Its just one more thing people can complain about.. I like how its set up.. Like said before were can u go and take pics of 40 to 50 nice looking 3rd gens. If there was no drive way they would all be in the front.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:44 PM

Car: 88 Formula, 01 Tundra
Engine: 305, 4.7 V8 17mpg
I will most likely be there too. We'll have to wait and see if you get that third ride Andre. Too bad we all can't park across the street in the field, then there wouldn't be a seperate parking area, and everyone would be in the same spot! Anyone have a helicopter or plane, so we can get a pic from the sky?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by 9D1BURD
If andrew can make it, anyone can, lol.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:33 PM

Car: 1992 RS
Originally posted by AT9305RS

LOL that is not true!!!.............We all know my car will more than likely NOT make it there (as much as I would love it to).
Old 05-05-2005, 10:54 PM

the fat kid will come over and cast a magical spell on it......then it will be all better
Old 05-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
The eyes have it

Jay: I like the new avitar. That is so wierd!

P. S. Can I pay you to put on a new fender for me? No painting or anything, just a quick install.

Last edited by 86NiteRider; 05-06-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:35 AM

Car: 1992 RS
Originally posted by AT9305RS
the fat kid will come over and cast a magical spell on it......then it will be all better
Old 05-09-2005, 02:08 PM

i was there last yr and i am going to be there this yr. and i don't care where i park as long as i have a place to park once i get there. it is a 268 mile trip one way for me, but it don't matter it is still worth the drive.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Car: 88 Trans-Am 305 TPI, Yokahama dbs s2 front/ avs ES100 rear, Shift kit, K&N, complete 4th gen rear end, sun roof, 80's pinstripping, 4 point harnesses, memphis car audio
Originally posted by intruder
i was there last yr and i am going to be there this yr. and i don't care where i park as long as i have a place to park once i get there. it is a 268 mile trip one way for me, but it don't matter it is still worth the drive.
keeping the scene alive! I'll be there this year, my first year!
Old 05-17-2005, 04:06 PM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Wish I could make it

You can bet if our car wasn't in a million pieces and we were able to make we would be there. I have been wishing I could meet all you guys and Denny for along time. Anyone who is "boycotting this event needs their head examined.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:42 AM

Car: 88 Trans-Am 305 TPI, Yokahama dbs s2 front/ avs ES100 rear, Shift kit, K&N, complete 4th gen rear end, sun roof, 80's pinstripping, 4 point harnesses, memphis car audio
oh....my car is in quite a few pieces... but i am gonna work my *** off to get it there
Old 05-18-2005, 03:42 AM

oh....my car is in quite a few pieces... but i am gonna work my *** off to get it there