Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Hey, Steve or anyone in super stock, super pro or pro....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-5
Hey, Steve or anyone in super stock, super pro or pro....

What NHRA class do you run in? because I was looking at some pictures on your website (stevens)and was curious about where to mount my fuel cell. In the NHRA rulebook it says all fuel cells need to be behind a firewall or bulkhead of at least .024 steel or .032 aluminum. I noticed you built one, Is that about the only place where we could possibly install one? Also while on the subject of fuel, I want to run my fuel lines from the fuel cell, inside and through the (front) firewall and to the engine. How did you run yours? Since you have a camaro, what is considered the drivers compartment?

Sorry for so many question but i'm sure you know the answers.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Camaro, 2015 Audi A4
Engine: V8
Transmission: 700R4
everything inside the car is the driver's compartment, front firewall to the back of the hatch, unless you do like steven and put in a divider.

i read something the other day were someone was trying to mount a fuel cell in the same location as the stock gas tank, not sure how they were planning on filling it or running the lines, i'd have to assume that you have to run the lines outside the driver compartment so that, in the event of a crash, there's less possibility of a line breaking and starting a fire inside the car...but i've been wrong before...
Old 07-23-2003, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-5
Yeah , I would like to mount the fuel cell behind the back seat on the hump but I guess you'd have to put a divider if front of it and all the way to the glass??

How do you put a elephant in a target bag?

Take the (letter) F out of "way"
Old 07-23-2003, 07:41 PM

Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Nothing related to fuel can be inside the drivers compartment including fuel lines. My fuel lines go through a hole in the floor then under the car to the front. I use steel braid -10 (5/8") fuel lines. I have something like 16-20 feet total of fuel line.

My setup passes tech but won't look very nice on a street car. Those pictures are old. I have a slightly different setup now. There's now an aluminum panel attached to the lid that comes down and seals against the top of the firewall. It's not pretty but it works. You could dress it up a bit with some matching carpeting (look at Super Stock f-bodies)

You can mount the cell anywhere you want but you need to follow the rules. Behind the front seats will only work if you totally isolated the front from the rear. I'd like to mount mine up front under the hood. There's no room behind the rad so the only other place would be in front of the rad. The only drawback to me mounting the cell there is that I would have to fabricate a frame around the cell.

General regulations 1:5 Fuel tanks must be inside the body or be enclosed in a tube steel frame made of 1 1/4 x .118 MS. You would have to look at some tube chassis cars to see what they mean by the frame. It doesn't take much to make a proper frame around the tank.

Third gens are considered hatchbacks. Since there's no rear partition isolating a trunk from the driver's compartment, every part of the inside of the car is considered driver's compartment.