Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Road racers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2000, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Formula WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: five speed
Road racers?

Any other road racers out there? I race the NASA Camaro Mustang Challenge, this is my first season, I have six races completed.
My car is an '84 TA L69HO, I have a welded 6 pt cage, March underdrive pulleys, Be Cool radiator, Edelbrock Performer intake and cam,
Oil cooler, Moroso Oil Accumulator, Halon two nozzle fire bottle and one hand held Halon bottle, master kill switch, GTA front wheels all around with Toyo RA1s(class spec tire).
Fumes go out an SLP Y-pipe to 3" pipe and a Flowmaster cat-back. A Dana 44 with 3.92s puts the power to the ground, that is controlled with a bunch of Global West suspension pieces (what wins).

The engine and tranny are pretty much stock. I did get a Pro 5.0 shifter which I like.

Anyone else RR?

------------------
'84 HO Z28 CMC Race Car
'97 TA Purdy Car
Old 09-20-2000, 08:08 PM

I just started running in local SCCA races this year. I have read about the NASA races, and I wish we had something like that out here. I have a 92 Z conv 5-spd 305 car. It has headers, alston subs, hotchkis STB, few other small mods, I can't afford to do all at once. Keep us in touch with how you do this year, I love watching and doing it. There is just someting about turning left.

------------------
92 Z conv
5-spd B&M
alston SFC, few mods, some free, some not
Old 09-21-2000, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by jmon92conv:
I just started running in local SCCA races this year. I have read about the NASA races, and I wish we had something like that out here. I have a 92 Z conv 5-spd 305 car. It has headers, alston subs, hotchkis STB, few other small mods, I can't afford to do all at once. Keep us in touch with how you do this year, I love watching and doing it. There is just someting about turning left.

You can check out NASA at http://www.nasaproracing.com - fun thing about road racing is we get to turn left and right! ;-) Don't worry about the mods, when you first start out you work on technique more. Keep going to SCCA, autox is the cheapest way to learn car control.

------------------
'84 HO Z28 CMC Race Car
'97 TA Purdy Car
Old 09-25-2000, 08:41 AM

I run a 91 1LE with the SCCA DC region ITE class and the Virginia region NASA Camaro Mustang Challenge (their first year!). I agree that "seat time" is the most important thing to going fast (club racing, solo, whatever). I've run 15 races so far this year and have beat a bunch of faster cars by out driving them. For jmon92conv, the Central div as well as the East coast has "ITE" class. You can run the car as it is now as long as you have the required safety gear (6 pt cage, fire bottle, harness, etc. The car would have to meet "IT" minimum safety standards and run under "World challenge" or IMSA rules. Doesn't say the car must be fully built. Mine sure isn't. ITE basically is the catch all class. You will be mid to back pack but with a wide range of cars you will have someone to race with (just as much fun door handle to door handle at the back as at the front).

One last comment. If your new its much easier to buy an existing car than to build one. Mine had seen some racing and it still took me 9-10 races to get it fully sorted out.

------------------
91 1LE
305 LB9 5-Speed, Dana-44
AutoPower 6-pt Cage, Koni adjustables, Polyurethane bushings, MSD6AL, Crane coil, TPS Airfoil, K&N filters, Fastchip, Taylor Pro 409 wires, Grant, Airquip, Performance Friction, Jazz, Autometer, Centerlines, 10LB Halon
Old 09-25-2000, 11:36 AM

911LE, great to hear about CMC in your region! Are you going by a CMC rulebook? I would guess not because you have some illegal stuff on your car, the MSD, the chip, the Crane coil, Airfoil- we are not allowed to do that out West. We have to keep the engine almost stock except for the few permitted items which I have. Wonder if our rules are just regional to us out here.

Anyhow, great that you are outdriving so many folks! That is good. I am in a highly skilled and experienced CMC group and am happy to beat anyone at this point. We have to race with at least two other classes making for 30+ cars in our race, how about you?

I have not tried SCCA ITE yet, thought it had been replaced by the PE class. Maybe next year if I have time to do more than CMC. How many CMC are running with you? In the six races I have done we have had 6-10 cars. We are hoping to increase that to 20 per event next year.

As far as starting with an existing race car, that is the way to go for most folks. I am experienced with third gens and fourth gens as far as RR mods and have my definite preferences so that was not the way to go for me- also don't like to fix other people's mistakes or find out about them during a race!;-0

------------------
'84 HO Z28 CMC Race Car
'97 TA Purdy Car
Old 09-25-2000, 01:57 PM

Car: 84 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: T-5
Hey Julie is that the Dana rear from the guy
in Conn. How did it work out? I was also
considering it for my 84 HO Z-28 but for
a dragstrip application !

------------------
Tom K.
84 z-28 M5 305 HO
pulleys,coil,3:73(stock)
Jet StageII, fan switch
14.55 @ 95.02 2.15 60ft

[This message has been edited by 84305HO (edited September 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 84305HO (edited September 25, 2000).]
Old 09-25-2000, 03:03 PM

After a few years in solo II I might try to find an old 1LE of ex-police car. I am spending time now just learning. It is the most enjoyable type of racing I have done, and now that I see some others doing it on here I know where to ask ques that I can't figure out on my own. Who knows, maybe one day I can trailer a car out to the coast and race either one of you

------------------
92 Z conv
5-spd B&M
Old 09-25-2000, 03:40 PM

Hey Tom and Jim, I noticed that 911LE also has a Dana 44, we are lucky! From what I have heard I should not ever break that Dana 44 unless I get a lot more hp. The nice thing about it is that you have quite a bit of choice with the gear sets, I think I would be happier with 3.55s or something around that ballpark.

When I told my mechanics about letting the car rev up to 5500-6000 with the 3.92s they said "not with this old motor!" They are going to build me another L69HO over the winter that will be a 6000 motor. For drag racing I think this rear would handle all but super high power apps, ask Randy's Ring and Pinion or someone who knows the hp and tq limits better. I know my 305 will not come close to stressing it. The other stress from road racing is on the axles, I'm not sure how much drag racing would stress axles of a Dana 44. I would guess they are pretty beefy.

Jim: As far as finding a 1LE for road racing, I would not pay for anything in mint condition, you will dent it up anyway. I'd stick to a base model f-bod unless you can find a cheap 1LE. There is just not that big of advantage to it, the brakes are nice, but Baer's are better up front. A WC T5 is worth some bucks, the 89 and up rear disc brakes are good, the 90-92 10 bolt series three carrier is desirable and works well. So do fourth gen rears if your class allows it (mine did not this year!).

------------------
'84 HO Z28 CMC Race Car
'97 TA Purdy Car
Old 09-25-2000, 11:07 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one interested in road racing. I'm not sure quite where my car is going to fall into, class-wise, next year but my goal is to run the open road races like the Pony Express. Once I get it sorted out I think it should pull pretty good in GT3. Meanwhile I'll just have to stick with the short courses I have here.

Good luck, and happy rustang hunting.
Problem Child

------------------
Torque is KING!
All pray to the god of grunt! When ye thinkth ye has been whupped than shall ye meet the mighty Buick! For none can surpass her majestic power, and all will yet try. All pray to the god of grunt. For the King of torque has arrived!
1. 82 Camaro+ 1. 455" Buick+ 1. N2O plate = YOUR WORST FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE!!!
Da Problem Child
ProbChldR@aol.com
Old 09-26-2000, 09:56 AM

Haven't heard anybody differentiate between 89+ and pre89 disc rearends. What's the diff?
Old 09-26-2000, 12:11 PM

Julie Bergman, no I'm not really following the rulebook. Just got a copy 2 weeks ago. Haven't even read the thing yet. NASA says this first year out here they aren't really worried about classes. They just want as many cars to show up as possible. CMC has only 3 cars running so far, and I'm probably the closest one to being legal. One of the other cars is a T2 with a 350. The races have been with every class that shows up running at once, so we have had fields between 35-45 cars, with everything between a tube frame Porsche to ITC Rabbits.

It would be great if both coasts got 30 cars running and then organized a east-west championship, like the Run-offs!

The SCCA generally run 30 cars in the big bore group, with me being near the back (but never last!). Can't catch to many AS cars but sure is fun when I can. I just make myself believe I can pass them and sometimes it works.

jmon92conv, I run some at Nelson Ledges in Ohio, so we can meet there one day!

Hope to meet you guys at the track!!!!!

Ted

------------------
91 1LE
305 LB9 5-Speed, Dana-44
AutoPower 6-pt Cage, Koni adjustables, Polyurethane bushings, MSD6AL, Crane coil, TPS Airfoil, K&N filters, Fastchip, Taylor Pro 409 wires, Grant, Airquip, Performance Friction, Jazz, Autometer, Centerlines, 10LB Halon
Old 09-26-2000, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by ProblemChild:
Glad to see I'm not the only one interested in road racing. I'm not sure quite where my car is going to fall into, class-wise, next year but my goal is to run the open road races like the Pony Express. Once I get it sorted out I think it should pull pretty good in GT3. Meanwhile I'll just have to stick with the short courses I have here.

Good luck, and happy rustang hunting.
Problem Child
Sounds like you're having a great time. Roll cage, fire and safety is where you should put your $$ for high speed stuff like the Pony Express. At those speeds you can't be too safe! I have a few friends that run that event with f-bodies, you should go once just to hang out and get the lowdown on the hot set-up. Good luck!

------------------
'84 HO Z28 CMC Race Car
'97 TA Purdy Car
Old 09-26-2000, 01:25 PM

Hey Ted! That would be great if CMC East meets West! I can see how NASA would be real lax on the classes and rules just to get folks out. Hopefully your series will take off like ours should next year (new coordinator, big plans!). For our last event at Sears Pt. Oct. 14-15, there will be about 20 CMC!

Happy racin'!

------------------
'84 HO Z28 CMC Race Car
'97 TA Purdy Car
Old 09-26-2000, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by RussMan:
Haven't heard anybody differentiate between 89+ and pre89 disc rearends. What's the diff?
Russ, since I bought a brand new '89 Formula 350 back then, I got to see the difference up close in the braking system. Size of brakes! '89 brakes are a lot bigger. Earlier brakes pretty much sucked and you will want to upgrade if you have a pre-'89 rear. Baer has a kit with 12" rotors that works great. You can also save some $ and find some '89 calipers, that will be a huge improvement! I got some aftermarket for my Dana 44.

------------------
'84 HO Z28 CMC Race Car
'97 TA Purdy Car
Old 09-27-2000, 05:02 PM

911LE,

Sounds like you have one hell of a setup. I would like to see you run. Maybe after I get some time on the course I can venture out and run with some out of my area. Sounds like a goal to hit. See you at the track.

Jeremy

------------------
92 Z conv
5-spd B&M
Old 10-03-2000, 02:55 AM

Hello Guys (Gals)

Julie, I've visited the CMC site in the past. That program is very enticing. Lots of talk about selling used cars by guys that want something new. Not sure which way I would go, buy prepered to start or start from scratch. I've got a Traclink and some other stuff I believe to be illegal for CMC in my TA. We have a 91 RS V6 with Baers all the way around just sitting because of a rod bearing issue. May try to convert that car.

Myself and a friend drive open track events. Drove Streets of Willow this weekend. I prefer the big track at Buttonwillow. You ever practiced at these tracks? If not, where do you practice? I know I would like to see a CMC race. Are those Sears Point dates for this year? You guys at run at Laguna Seca too if I remember correctly? That would be incredible. We have heard of some open track opportunities at both SP and LS. Would like to give them a try.

Let me know about spectator accessibility you the CMC events. MAy come up to see you guys at SP.

Chris Bethurum
Old 10-03-2000, 12:53 PM

Hi Chris,

I'm with you, I did not want to buy anyone's race car. I don't like most people's choices in mods and don't trust work of people I don't know in a car I will be pushing, so I started from scratch also. Get a set of rules from Tony Guaglione on the CMC board, then you can do your build-up. You will see the traclink is not legal. Pity, I have one on my '97 TA. I guess the reason for that is that there is not an equivalent mod for the Mustangs, also it is a few bux. The theme of the CMC series is low budget.

CMCers are competely accessible, just show up and hang out at our pits. The next and last race of the season is Oct. 14-15 at Sears Pt.
This is NASA's biggest weekend with a historic car show and all pro racing. Wish I could go, I am stuck on a business trip out of state!

I have only been on the Las Vegas RR track and Thunderhill in Northern CA. I really like Thunderhill...very rear wheel drive friendly track! I would like to come down to Buttonwillow and do an open track, I should next year. CMC ran at Willow Springs early this year, my car was not ready so I did not go.

So you have two residences, one in Diamond Bar and one in San Juan Capistrano?

------------------
'84 HO Z28 CMC Race Car
'97 TA Purdy Car
Old 10-03-2000, 01:12 PM

Julie

Thanks for that. Could have sworn Global made or makes a Traclink for the Fords.

Watched an open track event at Thunderhill once. This was about three years ago. They were still adding to the track. Looks very nice. Lots of Ford clubs sponsoring events like this. I have always blended in with them so far. Cobra Clubs. Would like to see more GM clubs organize this sort of thing.

I spend a lot of time in SJC. My main residense is in Diamond Bar.
Old 10-03-2000, 01:56 PM

Chris,

Glad to help! If GW does make a traclink for the Fords, I will make a case for the traclink at our off-season business meeting this November. I'm also going to make a case for using fourth gen axles, mine was ruled illegal this season!

Thunderhill is completed, you would like it!
See http://www.thunderhill.com for a drawing of the track.

------------------
'84 HO Z28 CMC Race Car
'97 TA Purdy Car