Pacific Region Regional board for Pacific Third Gen owners.

GTA lives!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 TTA
Engine: LC2
Transmission: Worn-out 200R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.27's
GTA lives!

Changed the battery this weekend. I hate side-mount terminals - but the total lack of corrosion is a good thing. Car started right up, even though it's been sitting for the last four months. (That long, sheesh...) Drove it to the local drive-thru car wash, so it's sort of clean. I'm not used to the instant L98 torque (turbo lag is more forgiving on your neck) so I was sort of cautious at stoplights. I think the throttle is sticking, so I'll go lube it and maybe shoot some stuff into the cable.

Brakes are nasty, but it stops without a spine-ripping squeal. I just did them myself, prior to putting it in mothballs. I guess disc brakes hate sitting around, that or the fluid absorbed a bunch of moisture.

I may rip out the alarm (dosn't have a loudspeaker for it anyway) because it has problems tryign to lock and unlock the doors at odd times. I'm not sure why that is, but I'll go remove the brain for the alarm system or something.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 IROC 92 Z-28 91 Ragtop
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700-r4
Why was it sitting so long?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

I finally picked up a little round coin that had TUIT on both sides...

Seriously, I could've sworn I had a head-to-manifold coolant leak (external, not into the chambers or block) but I can't seem to find it now. I parked it and started driving the TTA daily. That was back in May or so. I would start it up every now and again to make sure it worked, but really, it just sort of sat around. Last time I started it was way back in Spetember or so - the battery finally died, probably due to the haywire alarm system.

I'm hoping to go get a new driver's rear tire put on in the next week or two, then I'll go get my safety redone - not sure if they would pass it with the spare on it, and I don't care to find out.

After that... Shrug. Scott and Adam expressed interest in buying it. Money from it being sold would get dumped into the TTA, naturally.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:38 AM

I suggest leaving the alarm in as it is, and just not setting it. Or disconnect it.

How's the a/c? Still R-12?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Er... I'm not sure what it has in it, but I have a cannister of R-134A, that says it's compatible with R-12... New tire on the back, safety is good, and it drives pretty well.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:14 AM

Just FYI, 134a isn't R-12 compatible.

How's the registration and the intake leak?

I forgot about your GTA and I might be buying a firebird within the next week. I'm still considering yours if the price is right (and the a/c works... huge factor....)

Call me tomorrow (Monday) morning if you are willing to make a deal within the next few days. I'd need to see the car right away.

Part of this hurry is another vehicle I'm trying to buy if a few things turn out correctly. If this deal falls through, then I'll probably be buying something within the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Well, I'll go look into the A/C thing, but I assume that the old owner didn't flush it out and stick R134a - Registration is good until the end of September. I can't seem to find to intake leak anymore...! Drat. Let me know when/where you want to meet, I have plenty of PTO I can take.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:52 PM

Let me know if you have a day to drop off the vehicle. I can check what's in the a/c system and maybe even charge it up for you.

Just don't put anything into the system. (Stop-leak, R134a, PAG, blends, anything else, etc.) Hopefully it isn't contaminated.

What's the mileage again? The carfax is showing some screwy info.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

111k something - I know it's screwy. Shows something like 141k or something like that, right? Shrug. It was like that when I signed for it.

Wife made a nasty observation following me home the other day, and that was puffs of white when I got on the gas after speed bumps. DOH! That would lead me to think that my head gaskets are going bad between the water passages and the combustion chambers, and that isn't a very good thing at all. Certainly takes my car out of any sort of "daily driver" category, save for "Island Beater". We didn't see anything or smell anything Friday, but I gues it only shows up when I hit the gas. Might be something minor, but the only way to tell is to yank the heads. At that rate, might as well throw a bunch of go-fast goodies like some halfway decent heads, manifold and aftermarket intake runners.

The cannister I charged it up with DID have stop-leak in it, another DOH! I picked up a test gauge, and it read way above normal pressures, so it's a lot more complicated then a simple low freon level. Maybe I can vent the system to ambient pressure and see if a recharge will take care of it, but I don't want to contaminate your school's equipment with the leak-stop crud or any residuals of it. Again, it's sounding less like a daily driver, and more of a project car. (But hey, it has reverse...! ) Your call.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:27 PM

Enough students already messed up a couple of the evac/recycle systems anyway. I always use the good ones for live jobs.

What pressure did you read on your system?

Do you have any sticker on the door jambs regarding the mileage? Another car I'm looking at with a digital cluster is really off also, I'm going to go back and see if anything was replaced.

Since the gaskets need changing, (also a good time to do chain and pump) are you planning to sell the car off cheap... or fix it first... or hide and sell or what? I'm still thinking of your GTA when I drive away from every other car I look at... but I don't really want to say what I think it's worth because it might offend some people. (Big minus are the wheels, unfortunately.)

Has anyone showed interest in a project car? Because I'd still think of it as a daily driver that needs work done fast and have to factor that into the price....

Scott
Old 02-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Shoot me a PM with your offer, but AFAIK, no one else has hunted me down about us9ing it as a project car yet. Shoot, maybe Shawn would want the engine for drifting...?

The reading was something like sixty PSI, and that was with it off, so I'm guessing that there's a high-limit switch that's activated now, hence why I don't get any air. I don't recall seeing any stickers on the door jambs, but I'll go look tonight to see if there's one there. Driver's side jamb? Interesting about the digital dashes... Maybe they're easier to fiddle with...? I wonder if an ECM swap would do it, or if it's a chip in the gauge cluster.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:27 PM

Should be 'in the cluster'... as I understand it.

60 psi is a low charge at ambient temp. With the compressor off the low and high side will equalize.

I'll pm you later tonight or tomorrow.

Scott