Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Shifts late/ Cable in or out? THX.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' bird(WS6>>305TBI), 82'Regal
Shifts late/ Cable in or out? THX.......

Getting conflicting info or I may be misunderstanding it? Read TVmadeEZ, and read another thread here but would like to make sure. >>>>> Shifts late. >>>>So at WOT I depress the button and pull the cable out or push it in to make for quicker/tighter shifts? Thank you. Mike
Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Re: Shifts late/ Cable in or out? THX.......

ALOT better now! Can't believe the difference 2 little clicks made! This may very well get me a ticket now, I punch it and we are gone! And no more "lurching" at stop lights..........
Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Uhhh... There's a right setting (1 only), and a bunch of wrong ones. The cable has a ratcheting type mechanism. It'll come forward on it's own, but to go back you have to depress the button. The right setting is as far forward as the throttle can pull it. Go ahead and try to set it shorter, it'll pull back out the next time you press the gas. Set it longer and you'll have problems.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Uhhh... There's a right setting (1 only), and a bunch of wrong ones. The cable has a ratcheting type mechanism. It'll come forward on it's own, but to go back you have to depress the button. The right setting is as far forward as the throttle can pull it. Go ahead and try to set it shorter, it'll pull back out the next time you press the gas. Set it longer and you'll have problems.
Uhhh. What are you saying? Let out more clicks at WOT?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

I'm saying that you don't adjust the cable to change the way the transmission shifts. There's one correct setting, not a range that you can choose from to customize the shifts.

You can set the cable as tight as you want, and the next time you floor the pedal it's going to pull back out. If you set it longer then it needs to be, it's set wrong.

The proper way to set the cable, is to depress the button and push it back into the housing. Release the button. Then open the throttle until it reaches the stop. That's it, any other setting is out of spec.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
The proper way to set the cable, is to depress the button and push it back into the housing. Release the button. Then open the throttle until it reaches the stop. That's it, any other setting is out of spec.
TVmadeEZ by bowties and other threads on this site say nothing like that. They all say START at WOT then depress and set. Anyways she is alot better and that was my goal, we will see how she does after a few drives tho..... If problems arise I will definitely refer back to your approach..... Thank you!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

I explained it poorly... Forget longer/shorter and forward/back. There are only a few different methods and they all accomplish the exact same thing.

Here's the GM Service Manual method I described earlier, and posted over a year ago on this very forum... That method is also described on a tech article on the main page. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...-question.html

And here's a Youtube video, an excerpt from the Trans Go video showing another method. In a perfect world it accomplishes the exact same task as the earlier method.

The point is it can be set wrong, and if you're manually adjusting based on a number of clicks, you're defeating the purpose.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Thanks again Drew.... You got lucky with the 91' 5.7WS6, 3.23 gears my 91'WS6 is just the LO3, 2.73 gears.... Does that have the offset power bulge hood like mine? Can't tell from your avatar....... Edit:now that I look at your avatar that isn't a 91'Bird....DUH.

Last edited by bitchin_buick; 11-05-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

No problem. I used to have an animated gif in my avatar that scrolled through my cars, but then I sold a few and bought others, so it wasn't accurate... I decided to just put one car in the avatar and the other in the description. That way it throws everyone off. LOL I turned off my default signature too, making matters worse.

But yeah, that's my RS in the avatar. My Formula has the power bulge hood... I haven't uploaded any recent pics in years. Here's a couple from a few years ago. I really need to get around to repainting the front bumper.