Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Vortech V1 S-trim or T-trim?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula L98
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73:1
Vortech V1 S-trim or T-trim?

I was originally considering a custom turbo setup, but I am starting to lean toward a supercharger due to the fact that I can keep my AC and smog equipment, and there will be less design hassles, less heat in the engine bay (hopefully), etc. I still am not going to buy a kit, because for what a kit costs, I can make my own inlet and discharge tubes, and make my own oil lines, etc.. and save some money. I would have had to do the same thing with a turbo.

The engine in question is a 350 truck block with 4 bolt mains, Scat crank, Scat rods, SRP pistons, TFS 23° w/195cc intake runners, and a high-flow TPI setup (will probably be switched to a Stealthram, eventually).. basically, it's a budget buildup. The compression ratio is almost 10:1 (actually around 9.8:1), but I also live at 5500 feet, so I feel that it needs that much compression to stay responsive, and it won't be a problem with moderate boost.

The fuel system side of things is being taken care of, the only thing left that I need to decide on is whether or not I should go with the larger compressor, or if I even need the extra airflow. It's a street-only car, and I plan to run ~10lbs of boost or so. The T-trim looks like it flows a higher volume of air at the same boost levels, and actually has a higher max boost level, not that I'd ever need 26psi (Ok, who am I kidding, I'm sure the potential to do that would be nice ). But, for my moderate boost levels, and considering my thinner air, I'm thinking maybe the T-trim would be more efficient and not heat the air as much.. I won't be running an intercooler, maybe water injection or a small shot of nitrous down the line, but nothing other than that.

Is a T-trim going to be too unfriendly for the street, at moderate boost levels? Cost isn't a factor on the head unit, my cost on them is actually very similar.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:06 AM

Maybe all the hardcore supercharger guys are sleeping or something..

I'm just mainly wondering if I'll really hurt myself with a bigger head unit.. I can't see any drawbacks, but that's why they pay you guys the big bucks. More airflow = good, right?
Old 07-03-2002, 09:04 AM

I would recommend the S-trim. For your 9.8:1 compression ratio, and for street use, it is a hard combo to beat. The T-trim is nice, but also produces some heat! Check my sig. I ran my S-trim at 15psi with 10.5:1 compression and never had issues. Either unit is fine, but I would say get the basic S-trim kit and just upgrade to some nice 8 rib pullies for more boost.

Stay simple, stay happy, believe me!
Old 07-03-2002, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

One thing to note about GMI FAST setup is that he had full control of his fuel/timing (DFI) which helps keep things liveable in the engine

you can do the same with PROM burning but it would be alittle more difficult
Old 07-03-2002, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Ive seen some back to back tests of the s-trim and the t-trim on the same engine and the graphs were the same up till around 18psi of boost and then the t-trim started kicking in. It made more power but it was all on the top end of the efficiency range.

Id say go with the s-trim. Cheaper, and it will do what you want.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by 89ProchargedROC
One thing to note about GMI FAST setup is that he had full control of his fuel/timing (DFI) which helps keep things liveable in the engine
I have some connections, engine management and dyno tuning is on the "to do" list.

Originally posted by GMI FAST
I would recommend the S-trim. For your 9.8:1 compression ratio, and for street use, it is a hard combo to beat. The T-trim is nice, but also produces some heat! Check my sig. I ran my S-trim at 15psi with 10.5:1 compression and never had issues. Either unit is fine, but I would say get the basic S-trim kit and just upgrade to some nice 8 rib pullies for more boost.
Originally posted by Guido
Ive seen some back to back tests of the s-trim and the t-trim on the same engine and the graphs were the same up till around 18psi of boost and then the t-trim started kicking in. It made more power but it was all on the top end of the efficiency range.
That is very good to know guys. I know my engine will never see 18psi and higher. I guess I need to start seriously considering the S-trim.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:37 AM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 383 Supercharged and Intercooled
Transmission: 6-Speed
Axle/Gears: Stock 10 bolt 3.42
Yeah I asked this question awhile ago. Then I saw a 383 4th gen with an S-trim in the 9's with 10lbs of boost. I made up my mind there.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by '91 Formula
Yeah I asked this question awhile ago. Then I saw a 383 4th gen with an S-trim in the 9's with 10lbs of boost. I made up my mind there.
Ya, a local club member is running 9's in his 4th gen with an S-timmed, aftercooled 383. He looked at the T-trim, but as Guido mentioned, all it's benefits were much higher in the boost curve than he was pushing anyway. It also generated more heat than the S-trim at comparable boost levels.

Of course, now the guy is fabbing up a YS trim and a front mount intercooler. High 9's just weren't cutting it.

-Matt