Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

turbo for 2.8 3.1 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 02:08 PM
bub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo for 2.8 3.1 3.4

tubonetics makes tubo chargers for these engines although you will have to do some fabricating they make the t3 turbo to fit if you have enough hood space you can a twin turbos ill post pictures if u dont believe me
Old 03-23-2001, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Post the pictures anyway.
I want to see.

------------------
-86 IROC
Vortech Supercharged 406
-=ICON Motorsports=-
"Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?"
Old 03-23-2001, 05:15 PM

Of course they do! They also make them for Kia's, Yugo's, and 1917 Cadillac V12's. But, you said it: There is some "fabricating" needed.

I am one of the nation's top distributors of Mitsubishi turbos. I'll sell you any damned turbo you like, especially for your 6-cylinder. You just supply the headers, downpipe, exhaust, ecm mods, fuel system, intercooler, fasteners, gaskets, etc.

------------------
1989 T/A, 400" CNC Bow-Tie tall-deck, JE 8.5:1, Scat H-beam 6" rods, Scat 4340 crank, Crower roller cam, AFR heads, Accel Pro-Ram intake, 1200-cfm t/b, DFI, 72# inj., S/X fuel system, Hahn Racecraft T76 single turbosystem, NOS 150-hp dry fogger, TH400 w/GV overdrive, Dana 44 w/3.54's, Baer Track brakes, 18X9.5 wheels, P275/35ZR18 Nittos, Spohn suspension, S/T springs, KYB AGX shocks/struts, Corbeau Targa RS seats, TeamTech 5-point harnesses, Sparco steering wheel, MacEwen white gauge overlays, Phantom gauges/tach, B&M Pro Stick w/carbon-fiber ****, REAL carbon-fiber dash/console kit (don't ask), S&W 8-point rollbar, Lonza aluminum pedal covers, Pioneer/Boston Acoustics stereo system, filled side markers, Audi clear fender marker lights, custom clear front turn signals, custom clear taillights, IMSA-style cowl hood (don't ask), custom medium Intense Blue pearl paint, tinted glass. Whew!

Best ET w/383" S-trim: 10.796 @ 125.8 mph
Best ET w/400" turbo, nitrous: Summer 2001

Member of Midwest F-Body Association www.mfba.org
Old 03-23-2001, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 V-8 (for now ;) )
Transmission: T-5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock... whatever that means :)
Ummm... HAAA HAAA?

Old 03-24-2001, 08:18 AM
bub

well they will supply you with gaskets brackets all that stuff to get it going the only thing is its not going to be a direct bolt on
Old 03-24-2001, 08:21 AM
bub

twinturbo v6 510 go there and take a look at all the pictures

[This message has been edited by bub (edited March 24, 2001).]
Old 03-24-2001, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bub:
[B]twinturbo v6 510 go there and take a look at all the pictures

B]</font>
WTF are you talking about?

Old 03-24-2001, 04:44 PM
Supreme Member

Location: First one out of liberty city, burn it to the ground
Theres a datsun with a firebird 2.8 motor with 2 garrett t3 turbos running low nines..he screwed up on the link

------------------
1989 Firebird
2.8 v6, t5 swapped in

Ram Hi-po clutch, Cold Air, 1.6 rockers (ready to install), Lakewood LCA's, Lakewood Lift bars, 3" y-pipe, Random Tech Cat, 3" I-pipe, Flowmasters, MSd 6a, MSD Coil (Fireball in future) Accel 8.8 wires, MSD Ignition Module, 4th Gen Seats (not front yet)

" I'd rather run last in a full out race, than to NOT run at all ".
Old 03-25-2001, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

wheres the link

------------------
92' camaro
New 305 block TPI conversion, Flat top pistons,Bore over .30 Forged parts all around,Edelbrock intake,ported plennum,ported corvette alluminum heads, accel cam,52mm throttle bodie, SLP runners Home aid cold air induction, Air foil,ford SVO 19lb injectors,fuel regulator,cloys timing chain, comp alluminum roller rocker arms and pushrods MSD 8.5 mm wires, bosch plattinum plugs, hypertech cap & rotor and coil, Edelbrock TES headers, free flowing catalytic converter and a 3 inch force II flowmaster exhaust system, and a 3 inch cutout,Zoom multi friction clutch, T-5 tranny,billenstien shocks&struts.
Soon to come!!!
Procharger system 12lbs o boost.
New paint job(hawaiin orchid purple)Cast alluminum ZR1 rims w/ 275 tires.
Favorite quote: "where ever u go, there u are"

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Mods:340,edelbrock victor jr. intake, 650 4 barrel holley, heddman headers,40 series dual flowmasters, cold air intake,4:10 gears, just got a new paint job and cragar rims with 315 tires in the back.
:Yeah its not a chevy but damn how many 71' dusters have u seen in the streets.
Old 03-26-2001, 12:41 PM
bub

twin-turbo v6 510

[This message has been edited by bub (edited March 26, 2001).]
Old 03-26-2001, 04:06 PM
Supreme Member

Keep on trying.
Are you having trouble posting the link?
Old 03-26-2001, 11:38 PM

http://www.bryanf.com/mycars/510V6.htm

Here it is,car kicks *** ,for a little old six ,that no one would ever bother building.
Old 03-27-2001, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Wow that thing is awesome!

Id own it!
Man that guy has some cash into it though. And those are custom headers. But back to your original argument yeah it will work. If you have enough money to build headers like that.
Old 03-27-2001, 04:31 PM

Imagine it Guido,pulling up with a turd looking 2.8 liter,and smoking the doors off a new vette,or camaro.And then for ****s and giggles,pulling over and showing the owner what you have under the hood
Old 03-27-2001, 05:16 PM

I'd rather be street racing in one of our Dodge Neons: 10.55 @ 139mph

www.turbosystem.com
Old 03-27-2001, 05:24 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GMI FAST:
Of course they do! They also make them for Kia's, Yugo's, and 1917 Cadillac V12's. But, you said it: There is some "fabricating" needed.

I am one of the nation's top distributors of Mitsubishi turbos. I'll sell you any damned turbo you like, especially for your 6-cylinder. You just supply the headers, downpipe, exhaust, ecm mods, fuel system, intercooler, fasteners, gaskets, etc.

</font>
Dont listen to this troll, if you read his comments in the"Is there a supercharger or twin turbo or turbo for a 2.8l MFI 88 Camaro?"thread, you will see he isnt here to help anybody.

Old 03-27-2001, 11:44 PM

Troll? Wouldn't that describe a little man like you with the little 3.1?

Not here to help anybody? I'm trying to keep you people from spending a ton of money that will be wasted buying the wrong parts on the wrong engine! I sell turbosystems for cars and motorcycles all day for a living. I know what works and what doesn't. Some uneducated young boys think someone makes a bolt-on turbosystem for a 2.8-3.1 F-body. They want it to be cheap, easy to install, and they don't want the thing to grenade. Some individual says Turbonetics has a turbo for this application. This would lead some poor soul to think that there is a complete turbosystem for his application. WRONG. I am a Turbonetics dealer. No such product. My post was given as an example of the various cars that there are turbos for. His post was like saying "Hey, guys. Vortech stocks a T-trim unit for a Yugo. You just need to fabricate some stuff." Duh.

In closing, here are my helpful tips for turbocharging your cars. Now you can't say I haven't helped:

1) NOBODY MAKES A "KIT" FOR YOUR CAR. ACCEPT THIS FACT.
2) DON'T USE JUNKYARD PARTS.
3) ASK AN EXPERT FOR HELP.
4) DON'T USE STOCK PISTONS.
5) DON'T USE STOCK RODS.
6) DON'T USE STOCK COMPUTER.
7) DON'T USE STOCK FUEL SYSTEM.
8) DON'T USE STOCK HEAD GASKETS.
9) DON'T USE MILD STEEL HEADERS.
10) DON'T PLAN ON SPENDING LESS THAN $5000 ON THIS TURBOSYSTEM.

Let's see how long it is before a V6 owner posts "Is there a turbo for my car?"

------------------
1989 T/A, 400" CNC Bow-Tie tall-deck, JE 8.5:1, Scat H-beam 6" rods, Scat 4340 crank, Crower roller cam, AFR heads, Accel Pro-Ram intake, 1200-cfm t/b, DFI, 72# inj., S/X fuel system, Hahn Racecraft T76 single turbosystem, NOS 150-hp dry fogger, TH400 w/GV overdrive, Dana 44 w/3.54's, Baer Track brakes, 18X9.5 wheels, P275/35ZR18 Nittos, Spohn suspension, S/T springs, KYB AGX shocks/struts, Corbeau Targa RS seats, TeamTech 5-point harnesses, Sparco steering wheel, MacEwen white gauge overlays, Phantom gauges/tach, B&M Pro Stick w/carbon-fiber ****, REAL carbon-fiber dash/console kit (don't ask), S&W 8-point rollbar, Lonza aluminum pedal covers, Pioneer/Boston Acoustics stereo system, filled side markers, Audi clear fender marker lights, custom clear front turn signals, custom clear taillights, IMSA-style cowl hood (don't ask), custom medium Intense Blue pearl paint, tinted glass. Whew!

Best ET w/383" S-trim: 10.796 @ 125.8 mph
Best ET w/400" turbo, nitrous: Summer 2001

Member of Midwest F-Body Association www.mfba.org
Old 03-28-2001, 01:00 AM

Troll? Wouldn't that describe a little man like you with the little 3.1? :</font>
that was pathetic, why dont you do something you're good at , like making your sig even longer.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Not here to help anybody? I'm trying to keep you people from spending a ton of money that will be wasted buying the wrong parts on the wrong engine! I sell turbosystems for cars and motorcycles all day for a living. I know what works and what doesn't. Some uneducated young boys think someone makes a bolt-on turbosystem for a 2.8-3.1 F-body. They want it to be cheap, easy to install, and they don't want the thing to grenade. Some individual says Turbonetics has a turbo for this application. This would lead some poor soul to think that there is a complete turbosystem for his application. WRONG. I am a Turbonetics dealer. No such product. My post was given as an example of the various cars that there are turbos for. His post was like saying "Hey, guys. Vortech stocks a T-trim unit for a Yugo. You just need to fabricate some stuff." Duh.
</font>
my hero.....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">In closing, here are my helpful tips for turbocharging your cars. Now you can't say I haven't helped:

1) NOBODY MAKES A "KIT" FOR YOUR CAR. ACCEPT THIS FACT.
2) DON'T USE JUNKYARD PARTS.
3) ASK AN EXPERT FOR HELP.
4) DON'T USE STOCK PISTONS.
5) DON'T USE STOCK RODS.
6) DON'T USE STOCK COMPUTER.
7) DON'T USE STOCK FUEL SYSTEM.
8) DON'T USE STOCK HEAD GASKETS.
9) DON'T USE MILD STEEL HEADERS.
10) DON'T PLAN ON SPENDING LESS THAN $5000 ON THIS TURBOSYSTEM.
</font>
hey you contributed something. Keep it up.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Let's see how long it is before a V6 owner posts "Is there a turbo for my car?"
</font>
and lets see how long it takes before you go trolling again.

[This message has been edited by 3.1 firebird (edited March 28, 2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 06:14 AM
Supreme Member

Hey 3.1L firebird. Your e-mail address is not visible so who is the real troll here?

GMI FAST works on this stuff. While some of his advise may seem harsh at times I agree with him. How many "Do they make a turbo for my car?" posts do you see? TOO DAMN MANY! If people would do a search for threads JUST LIKE THIS ONE, then that would be one less post about turbo kit's that dont exist.

have a nice day

------------------
-86 IROC
Vortech Supercharged 406
-=ICON Motorsports=-
"Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?"
Old 03-28-2001, 08:44 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I too will stand up to defend GMI FAST, though he doesn't need it. Though his number of posts are relatively small, when he does post, it usually contains excellent information. About my only beef, would be that GMI FAST doesn't post enough.

GMI FAST is definitely not a troll.

I can also understand the frustration that some people have when they are given the "short answer" that is not what they wanted to hear. I did a bit of research a while back on turbos and I sadly found that there is very little out there for our cars; plain and simple. And it will get worst, not better, as there are not a lot of our cars out there, so there is little incentive for manufacturers to develop a "kit" for such a limited market. If it hadn't been for the C4 Vettes with L98s, I doubt there would even be the limited performance parts we currently have for our 3rd Gen F-bodies.

I am sure that if there was a readily available "kit" for our cars, GMI FAST would be the FIRST to tell us about it since he's in the business and would make some "commish" on the deal. I actually have to praise GMI FAST for not giving us "false hopes" and telling us the straight goods on this. Too many other vendors are too eager to take your money and then let you figure it out how to make it work (if at all).
Old 03-28-2001, 10:54 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
One thing I'd like to bring up is that with enough money/time you can do anything. The TT V6 Datsun is a good example of it. Yes - It was done and it is badass.

If you want to TT your V6, go ahead and do it. I think what all of us wanted to make clear is that to get the same amount of HP, its much cheaper going the V8 route in the long run. If you're big on the wow factor of having a quick V6 thats twice as fast as a V8, great, but realize that it'll be much more expensive.

Cost/Benefit is a conscious decision I make when I build the Z28tt. It is running on a stock block, with stock pistons, heads, cam, crank, rods, etc. I don't expect it to last forever, but I am running very low boost in a vain effort to stretch its life a little. Having all the systems in place and overkill for this stock engine makes it much easier to swap in the new engine (Planned: 4.000 bore, 3.48" 4340 crank, 6.125" 4340 rods, custom forged pistons with a mirrored comb. chamber dish of 14-25cc, 0.035 quench, 0 deck, 8.5:1 compression, splayed caps, etc...)

I guess what we've been trying to say is that in the long term if you care about hp/dollar you might be better off swapping in a V8, rather than spending the same cash for 2/3's as much power on the V6.

Andris

PS-If you want to see what is involved in building your own turbo car, check out http://www.skulte.com/turbo.html I've kept pretty detailed descriptions as I built it. And yes - We bought gale banks manifolds for the turbos which bolt right on, as well as turbos from Turbonetics. It's been over 2 years since I've started it, and the project is still no where near finished. It is not complicated, but will take a huge amount of time to get everything working properly.

------------------
Andris Skulte
Skulte Performance Designs
Z28tt-89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo
http://www.skulte.com

Old 03-28-2001, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the support, boys. I, of course, will be glad to help out in any way possible, regardless of what other people say. Peace...
Old 03-28-2001, 04:51 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA:
I too will stand up to defend GMI FAST, though he doesn't need it. Though his number of posts are relatively small, when he does post, it usually contains excellent information. About my only beef, would be that GMI FAST doesn't post enough.).</font>
Believe me he does enough damage as it is..

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">GMI FAST is definitely not a troll.).</font>
Is he the Keebler elf?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I can also understand the frustration that some people have when they are given the "short answer" that is not what they wanted to hear. I did a bit of research a while back on turbos and I sadly found that there is very little out there for our cars; plain and simple. And it will get worst, not better, as there are not a lot of our cars out there, so there is little incentive for manufacturers to develop a "kit" for such a limited market. If it hadn't been for the C4 Vettes with L98s, I doubt there would even be the limited performance parts we currently have for our 3rd Gen F-bodies.</font>
There is nothing wrong, with a short answer, its when the guy lists a bunch of ****ty engines along with ours, thats not cool.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I am sure that if there was a readily available "kit" for our cars, GMI FAST would be the FIRST to tell us about it since he's in the business and would make some "commish" on the deal. I actually have to praise GMI FAST for not giving us "false hopes" and telling us the straight goods on this. Too many other vendors are too eager to take your money and then let you figure it out how to make it work (if at all).</font>
I'll admit if you dig through his posts you can find some information, but for the most part he's to busy being *****. Check out Askulte's post, that has some useful information to it.
Old 03-28-2001, 05:13 PM
bub

i said turbonetics makes turbos for any thing
i didnt say they make a kit for the 2.8,3.1,3.4 read my post and u wouldnt need 5000$ to do it.why do u try to change peoples words around and the debate is not wether u can get more hp out of a v8 or v6
its about turbos and i also said like people said u can do any thing u want and i also stated that you will have to fab a few things to do it but the d-v6-510 does kick *** you can do it alot cheaper my friend that races stock cars and owns his own repair shop said he would do it for me but im just going with nitrous i never said you can call turbonetics and they will send u a direct bolt on kit for 60 degree v 6s and the topic states turbo for 2.8,3.1,3.4, thats what it says but what did u guys think about the car?
Old 03-28-2001, 06:18 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Guido:
Hey 3.1L firebird. Your e-mail address is not visible so who is the real troll here?

GMI FAST works on this stuff. While some of his advise may seem harsh at times I agree with him. How many "Do they make a turbo for my car?" posts do you see? TOO DAMN MANY! If people would do a search for threads JUST LIKE THIS ONE, then that would be one less post about turbo kit's that dont exist.

have a nice day

</font>

are your lips sore from kissing up to GMI yet? I mean come on you did some kissing in the thread you locked , now this one.....makes me wonder if you are trying to get a discount on one of his turbo's. watch out GMI!
check it out the thread down below: "Is there a supercharger or twin turbo or turbo for a 2.8l MFI 88 Camaro?"

[This message has been edited by 3.1 firebird (edited March 28, 2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 06:35 PM

What I want to know is what that 2.8 with the tubos turns for times.I could care less what anyone has for displacement Im not gonna dog a 2.8 cause i got one for a daily driver and I like it.Just do what you want ,you will be the first one to know if you caint handle a project.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:44 PM

Ya know, I was gonna leave this one alone, because even though it says "Power Adder" with no specific to "V8," it's become clear this is a good 'ol boys club for the over compensation experts, but then, I had to notice that the other post was locked with a smack upside my head, so I'll reply here.

Powerdyne does not make a system for the thirdgen?!?!?! OMG!!!! That just kills my whole plan! I'm floored by a piece of information that somehow went right over my head in the 8 months I've spent looking into the question!!!!!

Can you feel the sarcasm? Can you tell you just earned the title of "King and Reigning Emperor of All Things Obvious"? Of course they don't make one for the thirdgens. After all, anyone who's serious about going fast would buy a 4th gen, right? (Can you see the similarity of argument? The annoying head up my **** view point there? Take a hint.)

The powerdyne I was refferring to, not that anyone emailed me to care that much and be as serious about it as I am, is the 4.5 lb kit intended for the LT1. Certain aspects of it make it optimal for fabbing onto the 60* V6. Also, look into the Procharger P-15 (I think, might be P-5C, too ::scratching head:: but whatever), as it also would be easy to fab in.

**THE POINT OF MY STICKING MY HEAD IN**

All that being said, I will retire back to the V6 board, where I will make it a point to insure that you feel as welcome there as you make us feel here should you ever have a 60* related question.

-Reno the V6 Avenger

------------------
'88 Firebird LB8
"Cerberus"
-Supercharged Hybrid LB8/L32 Project-
"You think you're weak and maybe I'm the cure, but I've got 6 pistons in my engine, and I got one for ya...it's a long shot"
http://www.angelfire.com/il/Firebird28/index.html
Old 03-28-2001, 07:19 PM

Cause damage? List a bunch of sh*tty engines? Being a pr*ck? 3.1 firebird, what the heck is your problem? Settle down, you silly little boy. What is the matter with you? Guido isn't kissing my butt, he is strictly agreeing with some common sense and intelligence. You are the only one all fired up here. What don't you understand? Here you go, in case you have lost complete sense of this thread:

SOME GUYS POSTS A MESSAGE STATING TURBONETICS "MAKES A TURBO" FOR 3RD GEN 6-CYLINDERS. THIS IS MISLEADING, 3.1 FIREBIRD, BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY MAKE A KIT. THEY DO NOT. I LISTED THE OTHER ENGINES TO SHOW YOU SOME ODDBALL APPLICATIONS THEY ALSO "MAKE" TURBOS FOR.

I in no way was associating sh*tty engines with the GM offerings. You are such a hothead! Take a deep breath, spank. If anyone is being a pr*ck in this thread it is YOU. Resorting to name-calling...shame on you, tough guy! Just accept the fact that NO ONE makes a turbosystem for your car. Period. I guess because I was the first person to break it to you, that makes ME a pr*ck. So be it. Do you feel better? Good. Just remember that whatever you do to your car, you will always be slower than me. I look forward to your hot-headed reply. Oooooo, I'm nervous...
Old 03-28-2001, 07:25 PM

For the record, my girlfriend has a Kia Sportage, and 1917 Cadillac V12's kick butt. So there!

---------------
Grade School Playground Racing Dept.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:46 PM

Hey Reno, can you post the info on the Powerdyne working on a 3rd gen 2.8 ?? Basically no Turbos kits are not out there for the 2.8..only real expensive custom work to do a Turbo, and if a powerdyne kit from a 4th gen will work without doing major fab. work, then that would be great to hear about for guys with 6 cyls.

Lets try to put some tech back into this post, and quite flameing each other Its getting ugly in here LOL
Old 03-28-2001, 10:17 PM

Hey, I'm all about the love!
Old 03-28-2001, 10:43 PM

Guido isn't kissing my butt, he is strictly agreeing with some common sense and intelligence....</font>
Seriously he was kissing your butt and you know it. He shamefully knows it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Just accept the fact that NO ONE makes a turbosystem for your car. Period. I guess because I was the first person to break it to you, that makes ME a pr*ck....</font>
I;ve known for over 2 years, since I;ve owned my car, that no body makes a supercharger or turbo charger kit for V6/60 f body's. THats not why I;m saying you're a *****, I;m saying you're a ***** ,because in two threads in the past week, you have knocked any body thinking about doing anything to a V6. Its really nothing personal against you, I just get sick of everyone knocking a good V6 motor.

Is'nt part of the fun in hot rodding doing something kinda crazy anyway?

Old 03-28-2001, 10:51 PM

Hey, I'm all about the love! </font>
Hallelujah!

Old 03-29-2001, 12:37 AM

Hey, my club is racing down at Gateway this fall. I can't WAIT to meet you. C'mon over and meet all us hardcore boys from Chi-town. My plates are my username...
Old 03-29-2001, 06:12 AM

post locked.