Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Some under-k turbo pipes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some under-k turbo pipes.

My old pipes modified to fit some headers for another member here...

And on the car...

And some elbows added to the I/C...
Old 08-25-2007, 01:27 AM
Supreme Member

Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Re: Some under-k turbo pipes.

Nice work. Seeing a turbo setup off an engine is interesting. What do you think the lawn would pull in the 1/4 mile?....J/K. What is the IC in the picture?

Are you still planning on running a turbo setup?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by junkcltr
Nice work. Seeing a turbo setup off an engine is interesting. What do you think the lawn would pull in the 1/4 mile?....J/K. What is the IC in the picture?

Are you still planning on running a turbo setup?
Yes the lawn is quite fast

The I/C is from a Starion, Dave modified if for me to fit like I needed.

Yes, I will be running boost again. The turbo isn't going with the pipes, he bought a turbo just like it.

It's funny, I was going to be happy with 300hp, but now I want more. I have put the turbo out there for sale, but if I don't sell it, I'll get another one. This time things are going to be done different, and I want to get a good tune down BEFORE I run boost.

After seeing the new TT3800 series V6 powered 4th gen Firebird break the 9's, I'm curious to see what kind of power can be had from the 60* RWD platform. There are some really fast FWD's, though.

I read an article where some subjective testing was done with some turbos, and I was interested in the results. A car was set up to accept two turbos, without changing anything else. The two test subjects were a Garrett t3/t4, and a GT series with comperable maps. The tourque curve was much better, numbers were higher and came in earlier. If I have to save for the next few months, then so be it. I managed to pick up a real TIAL 38mm WG for $100, and an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump and filter for $300. I'm still trying to find some stock 3400 pistons, and the block to be delivered to complete my materials to get it together N/A, but will probably go with forged pistons just to be safe. With access to a CNC, I'm going to attempt to make a set, but that is a whole new subject. I have a couple of theories and am going to test them in the process of manufacturing. I know everyone is telling me to leave it to the pros, but I want to try it anyways.

My next problem is going to be traction and breakage. The car wasn't even set up enough for the first turbo, so I'm sure it's going to be a handful with the new motor.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E

Originally Posted by firstfirebird
It's funny, I was going to be happy with 300hp, but now I want more. I have put the turbo out there for sale, but if I don't sell it, I'll get another one. This time things are going to be done different, and I want to get a good tune down BEFORE I run boost.
That is the good part about turbos.....you can always turn up the boost for more HP. Getting a good tune takes quite a while. I always start out real slow and creep up on it. I still tweak the tune on the turbo Camaro that I built in 2005. It is the little changes that make it drive that much better.

I read an article where some subjective testing was done with some turbos, and I was interested in the results. A car was set up to accept two turbos, without changing anything else. The two test subjects were a Garrett t3/t4, and a GT series with comperable maps. The tourque curve was much better, numbers were higher and came in earlier. If I have to save for the next few months, then so be it. I managed to pick up a real TIAL 38mm WG for $100, and an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump and filter for $300. I'm still trying to find some stock 3400 pistons, and the block to be delivered to complete my materials to get it together N/A, but will probably go with forged pistons just to be safe. With access to a CNC, I'm going to attempt to make a set, but that is a whole new subject. I have a couple of theories and am going to test them in the process of manufacturing. I know everyone is telling me to leave it to the pros, but I want to try it anyways.
The GT series will spool faster than a T3 series. The compressor wheel blades, and turbine is way different than a T3 series. If you look at the Holset HX series and the new Borg Warner stuff the wheels are a lot a like. You might want to look at the Borg Warner S300 series before you chose the Garrett GT unit. They are cheaper and have the technology. The bad part is that Holset and Borg Warner do not provide comp. & turbine maps like Garrett does. I take the measurements and compare them to the Garrett maps to get an idea of what they will do. There are some Borg Warner maps out there though.

That is a good deal for the pump and wastegate. Good luck with the pistons. I would have no idea on how to go about cutting them for expansion. It doesn't hurt to try if you have a spare block around just in case.

My next problem is going to be traction and breakage. The car wasn't even set up enough for the first turbo, so I'm sure it's going to be a handful with the new motor.
It all depends on how hard you launch it and what you run for tires and suspension. I launch soft and don't even come close to breaking parts. The 60 foot time is about 2.2-2.3 secs and the 1/4 mile ET is 13.0. I do have the urge to get it in the low 12s with more boost & water injection. I think I can even with the lame 60 times....just add more boost.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Supreme Member

That is a good deal for the pump and wastegate. Good luck with the pistons. I would have no idea on how to go about cutting them for expansion. It doesn't hurt to try if you have a spare block around just in case.
I'm going to cut one, then heat it and take measurements. Then I'm going to cut one hot, let it cool, and take measurements. My friend starting the shop has been machining for 30 yrs, and has modified forged pistons in the past, but never made them from scratch. He had to heat them before machining. The next question would be, what's the operating temp of a piston?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by junkcltr

It all depends on how hard you launch it and what you run for tires and suspension. I launch soft and don't even come close to breaking parts. The 60 foot time is about 2.2-2.3 secs and the 1/4 mile ET is 13.0. I do have the urge to get it in the low 12s with more boost & water injection. I think I can even with the lame 60 times....just add more boost.
lol now that i can launch under alot of boost i couldnt resist(should have know better but i was going after the v6 f-body record of 11.7), i was launching my car this past weekend @ 15+psi and it cost me a rear and possibly may have bent the frame/unibody on the car

i did get a 1.7 60 ft though
Old 08-28-2007, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any concerns with bottoming out and crushing the pipe? I know with my headers, the y-pipe is slightly below the k-member and it gets scratched up pretty bad. With pipes going completely under the k-member, I'd be afraid to go over any dip or speedbump....

Other than that, I think it looks really good! I'm in the middle of a swap myself and like to see what others are doing.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Phatfiddler
Do you have any concerns with bottoming out and crushing the pipe? I know with my headers, the y-pipe is slightly below the k-member and it gets scratched up pretty bad. With pipes going completely under the k-member, I'd be afraid to go over any dip or speedbump....

Other than that, I think it looks really good! I'm in the middle of a swap myself and like to see what others are doing.
Here's how the new engine is going to look...

Click here

I want at least 250hp N/A before turbocharging it this time which is about what I had with the stock motor and old turbo.

I'm considering twins this time .