Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

LS1 vs Procharger (please read before posting)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
Re: LS1 vs Procharger (please read before posting)

Originally Posted by mrestrictrplate
I wondered this also. People used 5.3's for turbos instead of a Camaro aluminum ls1 which is 346 cubes. Is this because 5.3's are more plentiful and cheaper or does the shorter stroke make it run better. I see people seek out the 5.3, I'd think a 6.0 would make more hp with cam and heads. Boosted they all make crazy hp from what I see.
Its all about cost vs potential. The 5.3 cost is relatively cheap, and stock engines can handle 500bhp and more even with high mileage. The price is going up as the supply dwindles, so it comes down to whatever is available that will work. Almost all of the LSx engines will tolerate some boost but the 5.3 seems to fall in the more reliable/cheap category more than all the others.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

The iron blocks and lower compression help tremendously over the aluminum ls1/ls2. Also if the truck motor is a gen 4, the rods are much stronger than the ls1. Guys have made decent power with a ls1 but the iron truck motors are just a better boost platform
Old 08-19-2016, 07:39 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

I paid $150 for my 5.3.

Mind you it seems to have low compression, but a re-ring and bearing kit won't set me back far. With a cam, and otherwise stock engine it would make a fantastic blown street motor.

Junkyards are full of them.

6.0's on the other hand are kinda expensive.

-- Joe
Old 08-21-2016, 07:29 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA

1. the support that I have been receiving in this thread is awesome. it is very encouraging to have a group of expert that have been there and done it seemingly just as anxious to see my project come to fruition. it is very much appreciated - especially given the fact that there is little to no support in my area.

2. unfortunately, I haven't yet had the time to get out to the shop and start working on this - between work, family, other things going on. so, I apologize for stalling.

3. RBob, your customer support has been excellent so far. All questions that I have had have been answered in a timely manner. and thanks for proactively chiming in here on the issue of the MAF/MAP wiring.

4. anesthes, the fact that you may have been mistaken on that particular issue, and came forward stating that you may have mistaken only adds to your credibility (as you probably know). a less credible person would have simply slithered off or contrived a way to change the question.

5. again, sorry for stalling, I just haven't had the down time spend out at the shop. I will update you all once I commence pulling pins and mounting MAP sensors. and thanks for all the support so far. it is really appreciated.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:14 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

just shoring up any existing bugs (making sure the car is mechanically sound before swapping ECU's. last week the car drank 7 gallons of fuel in 42 miles - thats not right. this week, its not doing that - its got 63 miles on the trip, and is at more than 3/4 tank. weird. noticed the knock sensor harness was held onto the sensor via use of orange silicon...
going to replace the knock sensor harness (thank God for Hawks) and change the plugs then start the EBL install.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:26 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Sooo...it looks like I have pivoted. I was able to stumble upon a running, driving LS donor car (1998 Camaro SS) for $2,600. That heavily influenced my decision to pivot to the LS route over the Supercharger route.

other factors, include:
skepticism on expected gains - my L98 is mildly built, but not built for boost. so i would be boost limited (and possibly unimpressed with my results vs. money spent) unless i wanted to go back into the engine, which i do not.

YouTube videos of supercharged 3rd Gens
- after spending a lot of time looking up videos of Procharged 3rd gens in action, especially "simple builds" like what i had envisioned as being "within my means" and i found myself underwhelmed by the apparent performance, and unenthused by the apparent state of tune. from what i've seen, i think i'll be happier with the sound and performance of an LS swap. possibly more money, but money better spent, in the end.

Lack of Support - you guys have been great. i feel bad that you guys were giving of so much of your knowledge and time just for me to abandon the idea (not the project) that you were helping me with. but the fact is that my skills are "okay" but very basic by comparison to most of you who have built and tuned many EFI projects. where i live there is just ZERO support for TPI performance. and there IS support for LS / LS conversion performance. none of you Power Adder guys live anywhere close to me. it seems like all you ****ers live in PA.

i do have an unused EBL on my hands if anyone is interested in that. i don't know what Bob R's return policy is. i sent him an email. but if the time has expired (even though it has literally not been out of the plastic sleeve) i will be willing to let it go for a pretty good bargain.

and i'll have some 4th gen SS components in the end: hood, hatch, wheels, etc.

thanks again for all of your input and support on this. once the LS swap is underway, i will do a thread on it. for now, I'll be resurrecting my LS swap or Procharger thread in the LS Swap forum.

thank you. thank you.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

To each their own man. Aslong as it puts a smile on your face, thats all that matters!
Old 11-16-2016, 04:20 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Linson
Sooo...it looks like I have pivoted. I was able to stumble upon a running, driving LS donor car (1998 Camaro SS) for $2,600. That heavily influenced my decision to pivot to the LS route over the Supercharger route.

other factors, include:
skepticism on expected gains - my L98 is mildly built, but not built for boost. so i would be boost limited (and possibly unimpressed with my results vs. money spent) unless i wanted to go back into the engine, which i do not.

YouTube videos of supercharged 3rd Gens
- after spending a lot of time looking up videos of Procharged 3rd gens in action, especially "simple builds" like what i had envisioned as being "within my means" and i found myself underwhelmed by the apparent performance, and unenthused by the apparent state of tune. from what i've seen, i think i'll be happier with the sound and performance of an LS swap. possibly more money, but money better spent, in the end.

Lack of Support - you guys have been great. i feel bad that you guys were giving of so much of your knowledge and time just for me to abandon the idea (not the project) that you were helping me with. but the fact is that my skills are "okay" but very basic by comparison to most of you who have built and tuned many EFI projects. where i live there is just ZERO support for TPI performance. and there IS support for LS / LS conversion performance. none of you Power Adder guys live anywhere close to me. it seems like all you ****ers live in PA.

i do have an unused EBL on my hands if anyone is interested in that. i don't know what Bob R's return policy is. i sent him an email. but if the time has expired (even though it has literally not been out of the plastic sleeve) i will be willing to let it go for a pretty good bargain.

and i'll have some 4th gen SS components in the end: hood, hatch, wheels, etc.

thanks again for all of your input and support on this. once the LS swap is underway, i will do a thread on it. for now, I'll be resurrecting my LS swap or Procharger thread in the LS Swap forum.

thank you. thank you.
Is the SS totalled ?

Nothing wrong with a stock LS1. It depends on the goals for the car.

-- Joe
Old 11-16-2016, 05:26 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

No. it runs and drives. No issues - other than there appears to be trans fluid on my garage floor, and when the wheels are straight, the steering wheel is at a quarter turn.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:37 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

No. it runs and drives. No issues - other than there appears to be trans fluid on my garage floor, and when the wheels are straight, the steering wheel is at a quarter turn.
Why not drive it ? I had a '98 and a 2000. Both are much better cars than thirdgens when it comes to braking, cornering, overall handling and interior.

Keep both.

-- Joe
Old 11-16-2016, 09:58 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

I don't want a 4th Gen.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:47 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

I don't want a 4th Gen.
Hrmm. Interesting. Well good luck with the swap. Should come out nice.

-- Joe