Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Ls swap Twin Turbo Trans am set up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ls swap Twin Turbo Trans am set up?

Hello, I've been toying with the idea of a turbo set up for a trans am. I originally planned to do a naturally aspirated destroked 6.0 (333ci or so) with individual throttle bodies. That should be somewhere around 450 horsepower for a mild build, but a twin turbo high rpm (like 8500 or so) LS would be mental. Seeing as how ITB's give optimal cylinder balance, I was thinking of how to do a turbo set up including them. I figured that if an RB26 skyline can do it 20 years ago, why not an Ls today?

My idea is to do a twin turbo set up, but not conventionally. I would run the turbo to their own smaller intercoolers on each side of the car. My thought process here was to modify the fog light buckets for an air intake to the intercoolers to optimize cooling, seeing as how a trans am lacks the bumper cutout a camaro has. From there, I was thinking of running each turbo to a bank of cylinders via a separate airbox in place of the trumpets on each bank of the throttle bodies (think Ferrari manifolds). The goal is around 800 hp on a conservative tune, more if desired.

My question here is would this actually work? If the car is spinning the turbos at roughly the same rate and they are the same size, they should be producing roughly the same amount of air, which in theory could be tuned with each bank of the ITB's separately, right? (99% sure I'd need a standalone ecu though). This is just theory for developing the idea at the moment, but if it would work, this is literally my dream build.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: Ls swap Twin Turbo Trans am set up?

Yes that can work. Simpler still would be a common plenum connecting both banks.

Issue to look out for is if they are kept separate banks, if one side blows a coupler and boost is lost there can be severe imbalance on the crank for those few seconds. Not sure if this would pose a problem or not but is a concern imo
Old 01-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Yes that can work. Simpler still would be a common plenum connecting both banks.

Issue to look out for is if they are kept separate banks, if one side blows a coupler and boost is lost there can be severe imbalance on the crank for those few seconds. Not sure if this would pose a problem or not but is a concern imo
Would you be able to program a sensor of some kind to cut power if such a thing were to happen? If a gen 4 motor set was used rather than a gen 3, the Ecu could technically shut of that bank of cylinders. This would still cause More or less the same effect of imbalance wouldn’t it? Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Well i am sure you could figure out something but like i said not sure how big of a deal it is.

What you could do is use vbands on all connections and make sure it never comes off lol. I am somewhat cheap and like t clamps with silicone connectors
Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Way too much work for similar gains when compared to the more common setups...

Originally Posted by Want_a_v8
Seeing as how ITB's give optimal cylinder balance.
So does individual O2 cylinder correction...

- Rob
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Way too much work for similar gains when compared to the more common setups...

So does individual O2 cylinder correction...

- Rob
Well the plan would be to build the motor naturally aspirated before boost, and ITB's look sick, and preform better than a typical intake. the other intake I was looking at is the edelbrock crossram. It was designed with boost in mind, and looks cool, but doesn't preform quite as well as ITB's would. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Well the plan would be to build the motor naturally aspirated before boost, and ITB's look sick, and preform better than a typical intake. the other intake I was looking at is the edelbrock crossram. It was designed with boost in mind, and looks cool, but doesn't preform quite as well as ITB's would. Thanks!
If this is the route you want to go, I'm all for it. I just like to exhaust the possibility of if you're sure you think you're doing the right thing, but as long as it makes you happy, that is all that matters. If I were running ITB's with boost, I would build a clear (plexi) intake manifold (think square pizza box style, or rectangular) that houses all eight ITB's that you can see through to show off the ITB's, with one 3" inlet up front (or on the side) that couples to a 3" intake tube from the two turbo's, or one 3" inlet on both sides of the plexi box that couples to each individual turbo. Both concepts would feed all eight ITB's. I think someone built something like that on a NA V6 on the V6 board when running ITB's for their six banger if memory serves me correctly...

- Rob
Old 01-14-2018, 05:38 PM

just get a stock 5.3 open the ring cap, cam and valve springs and boost it. After you get that setup figured out start messing with tuning 2-8 throttle body intake setups...... I like my closed loop idle control and single drive by cable throttle body lol