South East Region Regional Board for South East Members.

Part Out or Keep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Automatic
Part Out or Keep?

Hey everybody, I really need some advice. This is a long post and I apologize, but it's been weighing on my mind for a while. I swear I get too attached to these cars WAY too quickly lol

I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle. My car is a 1986 IROC-Z and it's my dream car. 86 with T-tops, black and gold exterior, and it's what I've wanted since a kid. The problem is that this car needs work. A LOT of work. Previous owner cracked the block and destroyed the motor that was in it. He traded it to a dealership that my great uncle works at and they took the engine out to replace. The work stopped suddenly and now the car sits in pieces with wiring hanging everywhere and the transmission just dangling. The car is beginning to develop surface rust on the subframe, torque convertor, and driveshaft. The accessories for the engine are toast, but the TPI system is still good. The interior is not to my taste, and there are some options I wanted my dream IROC to have that this one does not. All of that is easily changed, but my biggest concern is whether or not this car is too far gone.

I want serious advice so I'm going to be 100% honest. I got the car because my Great Uncle sold his tow truck to MY Uncle. My Uncle then traded to a buddy of mine for another truck. My buddy ditched on some bills (we were roommates at the time) and left the truck. Several months later, I take the truck as payment. I trade the truck back to my Great Uncle who originally had it in exchange for this car that's been sitting for a year and he was considering selling. So, I have NOTHING into this car, it was a free car minus some gas.

HOWEVER, some longtime family friends are selling me a 1991-1992 RS that I have to go pickup in Virginia. The car is in amazing shape, garage kept for the past 2 years after it was taken off the road. It was in an accident that damaged some parts behind the passenger door, and it being a unibody car, it's structural. It is repairable, and from the pictures it looks mint. But it's an RS and not my dream IROC.

Here's the short of it. I have a free IROC-Z sitting in my yard that I don't know what to do with because I hate seeing it rot away, but I also know it needs A LOT of work. Should I part the car out/sell it and move on to another car, or is it still worth being saved? Please let me know what you think about it and thank you if you read this far. I'm sure I could find another 86 IROC, but I get so attached so quickly to these cars. Don't want to see it rot away or crushed after being stripped. Am I insane, or is it not too late for saving?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:41 AM

Re: Part Out or Keep?

Old 04-29-2018, 10:42 AM

Here are some pictures of the car in VA I'm going to get...

Old 04-29-2018, 06:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

restore it solely because of the Dale Earnhardt #3 on the dash, gotta do it for Dale man.

I'd give the IROC a thorough cleaning and detailing inside and out, and underneath to get a real opinion on it. Every car looks rough when its grimy and covered in pine needles in a backyard. This might sound backwards and wrong to many people on here but I'd almost be tempted to use the RS as a parts car and bring the Z back to life as long as its body isnt severely rotting
Old 04-29-2018, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Keep it 350s are cheap and plentiful.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Make a race car out of it.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 rs, 1985 z28
Engine: 3.1 v6, 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 3.23

I'd fix the 86 iroc-z as long as its straight and not rusted out. I also would say maybe use the rs as parts for it. That way you save time and money of having to find parts and get to have the iroc you always wanted.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

That 86 isn't close to being too far gone. I've seen much worse. The body looks solid, I imagine it has some rust holes in the floor but the surface rust on the subframe/etc isn't anything to worry about. That happens when cars sit.

If you're getting the RS for sure then I'd pull the motor and interior out of the RS and put it in the 86. (assuming the RS is a V8).

You'd be amazed how much difference a good cleaning would make to that 86.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:05 AM

That was my original plan, to use the RS for the Z. The RS is a V8 though Im sure it’s only a 305. One thing I wasn’t sure about though is that the RS is definitely saveable, and that leads me to the reason I always end up with too many projects... I don’t think it would take much to get the RS going and the frame damage is repairable. I know that for sure. Only thing I want to know is how much it would cost to have the frame repaired.

Im so torn

I think I’m going to give it a good wash though. Might throw it up on the lift and check it out good and start stripping the rust and stuff.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
I imagine it has some rust holes in the floor
Its possible, but if I were keeping it the entire interior would be gutted out and replaced. One, I don’t like the black cloth interior, id prefer to go with tan cloth, possibly leather in the future. I think it would go great with the Black and Gold theme on the exterior. All the plastics and wheel are black, visors black, while the headliner, seats, as carpet are tan.

I’ve always wanted an 86 IROC, Leather and full power, T-Tops, some sort of LS, 6 speed, and a bunch of other goodies. Obviously that’s a massive undertaking and it’ll come in time but I scooped this car up to begin working on that dream. I truly want to keep it but MAN it’s gonna be a lot. The wiring is the part I most dread.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Camaro
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4

I would assess what the present condition of the car is , especially if there is severe rot, and take it from there. There is one member on this forum that took his car completely apart to fix all the rot and eaten away areas that were hidden beneath. If yours is in the condition where you have to do this, consider the work and $$ if you are not capable of this. It can be very time consuming and expensive.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

Can you keep both? The RS as a driver and the IROC as the "fun" project to bring back and then maybe sell the RS once the IROC is completed?