Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?
View Poll Results: SFCs
Great Mod, Should Be Done
95.35%
Horrible Mod, Waste of Time/Money
4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

SFC Good OR Bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
SFC Good OR Bad

I have read all the posts, and now I finally see someone who doesn't seem to like their SFC's. I think that a poll could help. This way no body has to leave a message. I think that SFC's are a good idea. I plan to install them This spring!
Old 02-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
This is a no brainer. SFC's are a MUST.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:46 PM

Car: 1987 Formula 350
Engine: 6.0 boost and smak
Transmission: 4l80e
Axle/Gears: 9bolt 3.27
They are a must, i have a hard top, i didn't think my body flexed that much anyways, but i was amazed at the difference they made on handleing and ride quality, great addition, and if you want to go fast, quickly your torque boxes will thank you
Old 02-21-2003, 03:00 PM

Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Maybe I just have a tendency to play devil's advocate, but I've gotta say that SFCs (I have Spohn's, btw) were just about my least satisfying mod. As far as the amazing solve-all-your-problems "feel" that everyone gets post-SFCs, can anyone say "placebo effect?"

Car feels/handles a little different (stiffer), but, besides the satisfaction of knowing that I took my (expensive) medicine and possible prolonged my car's life a bit more, I haven't seen the wonder-drug effects of SFCs that many folks report here. T-Tops still make noise when it gets cold (or warm again) outside. The one thing I know for certain is that it was expensive (not only the SFCs themselves, but I don't weld, so I had to pay for the install).

(Please no flames, I'm just entering my minority opinion)
Old 02-21-2003, 03:04 PM

Car: 87 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T-56
speaking of which, what does a shop get ya to install them
Old 02-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
I dono...under normal driving conditions the body seemed to twist less. And at higher speeds the car felt alot more stable (by higher speeds I mean like 100+mph) But again the biggest thing about this mod is that it counts how you drive. If you just cruise around you wont notice as big of a difference as someone who atcually pounds their car. I slide my car around turns at speeds of 50-90mph and trust me theres a pretty big difference with the SFC's. Also I believe that the SFC's helped protect my subframe from getting twisted when I got sideswipped by this old lady.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Originally posted by Joel Geerling
Maybe I just have a tendency to play devil's advocate, but I've gotta say that SFCs (I have Spohn's, btw) were just about my least satisfying mod. As far as the amazing solve-all-your-problems "feel" that everyone gets post-SFCs, can anyone say "placebo effect?"

Car feels/handles a little different (stiffer), but, besides the satisfaction of knowing that I took my (expensive) medicine and possible prolonged my car's life a bit more, I haven't seen the wonder-drug effects of SFCs that many folks report here. T-Tops still make noise when it gets cold (or warm again) outside. The one thing I know for certain is that it was expensive (not only the SFCs themselves, but I don't weld, so I had to pay for the install).

(Please no flames, I'm just entering my minority opinion)
Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
Some people seem to mistakenly think SFC's are a 'fix all' for our cars. Installing SFC's wont instantly make all your rattles go away, nor will they instantly improve your ride. They are a single part in a long list of parts you you need use to achieve the perfect ride. I consider them a building block to a successfull suspension setup. Chassis flex is one of the worst things you can deal with because it is unpredictable. SFC's really tighten the chassis, and this gives you a better platform to build your suspension on. Of course if you have old, bad, or cheap springs/shocks/struts/bushings/etc SFC's wont make a huge difference. You'll still need to fix/replace the rest of the parts to have a good ride. Building a good suspension setup is alot like building a good engine setup, All the parts must compliment eachother. SFC's are a MUST. Some people see very very good results (like 89transam or Dewey316), and thats probably because the rest of their setup is in tip top shape. If your suspension is not in tip top shape, then SFC's might not make that much of a difference. But it is the right place to start.
No flames or anything intended. But Revlimit is right, it also has alot to do with how you drive your car. Certain types of driving will show that SFC's make an improvement, other types might not.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:05 PM

Car: 91 z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
TMoNeE Around here they charge about 100-150 dollars. You west coast people tend to have and spend more money though. lol. Just having fun

Last edited by jeffsbluez; 02-21-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:31 PM

i never said nobody should get them or anything like. my personal experience with them wasnt good and thats why i feel like it was a waste of my money. im th only one on here that does'nt have anything good to say about them cause i felt no difference after installing them when everyone else has. i know what a solid 3rd gen feels like. maybe i just got a ****y brand.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 1SICIROC.....1999 TransAm
Engine: 385 HSR.....LS1
Transmission: 700R4 with Midwest 3400 2.4str...M6
Axle/Gears: SLP Zexel Posi unit 3.42's...3.73's
I wish I could vote on the poll but I cant I dont have any yet...but Im on my way. Im actually looking right now which to get..I got the money burning a hole in my pocket as we speak...

I got one question.....when getting subframes is it better to get the ones with the cross braces that tie into the tranny area or does it really matter.....I guess thats kind of like the 2 and 3 point STBs......
Old 02-21-2003, 10:10 PM

the reason i went with the spohn is because of that extra brace the runs from the SFC to the tranny tunnel and i think the he has the only SFC on the market like that. but as you have read my experience with them sucks.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
well, i am going to chime in with my 0.02 here.

first of, crazy thank you for the complement in your earlier post.

second.

i think part of this could be what people were expecting from SFCs and what they are really designed to do.

if you expect that your car is going to magicly handle THAT much better, or feel THAT much faster, it isn't, so for anyone adding SFCs don't expect this to turn your car into a viper killer.

SFCs are desinged to connect the front and rear frame rails, since our cars are a unibody they don't have frame rails that run the length of the car. basicly all that SFCs do is STRENGHTEN the BODY OF THE CAR. now doing this really does help you, but you may not feel a diffrence like some people (inluding me, because i praise SFCs everychance i get) have hyped these up to do. you won't notice ANY diffrence until you put your car in a situtatio were you were experiancing noticebale body flex to begin with. i push my car hard, and often, so i feel the diffrence everyday, i also was able to push my car that hard before SFCs because i had alot of other suspension mods done first. so i noticed how huge of a diffrence it made when i pushed my car to the point that the body was flexing under the cornering forces. the same goes for those who noticed a significan straight line increase, they were pushing their cars to a point where the body was twising under launches.

for anyone who doubts subframes stiffening the car, i will work on getting a picture of my car up on 2 or 3 wheels while parked on a hill for you, i don't have a digi cam, so i will have to try to borrow one.

for those who didn't notice a diffrence, it may just be because the way you use your car, isn't in a form that puts alot of stress on the frame of the car, but i hope that you can notice a stonger more solid feel when pulling into steep driveways ect.

that is all SFCs were designed to do, make the car stonger and to prevent flexing. this turnes into a performance increase when you put the car into a situation where the body would flex, but not a really noticable mod until that time.

BTW My car is still very noisey when i drive, i shakes, it radles, it squeeks , but my dash doesn't bounch up and down anymore so once again if you were expecting subframes to stop ALL noises your car makes, unfortinaly it won't do that.