Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Using GC Weight Jacks at factory height. Why?...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using GC Weight Jacks at factory height. Why?...

Recently came across a new set of Koni yellow's... I also want to replace the aging springs in the car. I've always wanted to lower the cars stance a bit for both performance and aesthetic purposes. However, I'd like to postpone the adjustable torque arm, panhard bar, bump steer kit, LCA brackets required to do this (properly).

Eibach sportlines are $260... even, the most basic spring seems to be $50X4 = $200... I wouldnt mind spending an extra $250 to have the ability to change the car's height at a later time. Hence, i'd like to purchase the Ground control weight jack kit - and run it at near factory height (or as low as possible without F'ing up suspension geometry) with new eibach springs. I'm a firm believer that GM's engineers > my petty mechanical engineering degree.

Does this make sense? Or am I an idiot?

I also figured I should get new strut mounts since that seems to be a hot topic. Did anyone notice J&M's went from $152 to $217?! FUUUUUUU!!!!! Maybe i'll just get monroe's for $80.

Last edited by 92-Formula; 03-01-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Using GC Weight Jacks at factory height. Why?...

I would suggest spending a little extra cash and get the J&Ms. I'm not sure when they were $152 (not doubting that they were), I've only seen $217 on them. You could put the GC weight jacks on and leave it at stock height. You could even lower it a little and probably be fine; depending on what you're doing with the car. Keep in mind that adjusting the ride height may effect your alignment on the front. As far as the PHB, just keep an eye on the rear end being centered under the car as you lower it and stick with the stock bar. Unless, you are racing the car, then it may all be a different story.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by AM91Camaro_RS
I would suggest spending a little extra cash and get the J&Ms. I'm not sure when they were $152 (not doubting that they were), I've only seen $217 on them. You could put the GC weight jacks on and leave it at stock height. You could even lower it a little and probably be fine; depending on what you're doing with the car. Keep in mind that adjusting the ride height may effect your alignment on the front. As far as the PHB, just keep an eye on the rear end being centered under the car as you lower it and stick with the stock bar. Unless, you are racing the car, then it may all be a different story.
I e-mailed them. They were $152 during Feb, the sale just ended yesterday March 1st. :\

Still debating about whether or not to touch the strut mounts. Didn't some people have a problem retaining the dust cover over the top of the strut with the J&M's?

I also had a question regarding all the caster/camber adjustments... im assuming this is something even the most basic alignment shops should be able to handle?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Ohhh. Yeah, that 152 would have been a deal!!
If you plan to make the car handle around any kind of corners, you really should address the strut mounts considering that stock ones (even new ones) aren't very good. They flex a lot.
Yes, a basic alignment will adjust caster and camber. The aftermarket mounts will give you a better range of adjustment and are going to be a much better/more sturdy part all together. Also, if you are going to lower the car, you run the risk of bottom out the strut if you are using stock mounts. Some of the aftermarket mounts raise the top strut mount 1" for lowered applications. And, no, you cannot use the stock dust cover over the strut with the aftermarket mounts. There is one that you can use, I forget which one it is, though.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

the jm mounts were 152 for a while, started right after UMI introduced their mounts. I should have picked up a set of the jm ones for my 92, 60bux off would have been sweet. oh well.

no problem at all using the weight jacks are stock ride height, since their main purpose is to allow you to run a specific rate spring are whatever height you want without having to remove and trim a universal spring a thousand times to get the car where you want it.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 PM

I ended up ordering some J&M strut mounts. I've been holding off on the weight jacks + springs. I've got a feeling im going to just install the struts/shocks and J&M mounts and leave the stock WS6 springs in there just out of curiosity - take it to a couple of local autoX events and then maybe add some 700-800# 10" springs with the GC setup and see what happens. Opinions? Should I just skip out on the 205,000 mile springs and get some new ones? :P

I mean, come on.... how much can a spring realllllllyyyyy sag? ....
Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

I've always "manually" (cut or short). Now that I stepped up to the Ground Control Weight Jacks? I'll never go back.

If you drive the car more than race it....You may want to go a little lower in spring weight. That & too stiff of springs will limit weight transfer.

And no.....Stock height on weight jacks is no problem. I replaced my WS6 springs at 190,000 miles, just because I got a good deal on a used set of GC Weight Jacks.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen
If you drive the car more than race it....You may want to go a little lower in spring weight. That & too stiff of springs will limit weight transfer.
I thought the whole purpose of stiffer springs WAS to limit weight transfer- that being a good thing- controling the chassis weight.

What you might want to tell people next time Stephen is that "too stiff a spring" will limit suspension articulation and cause the chassis to unsettle.