Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Stainless flex brake lines?

Old 09-25-2000, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless flex brake lines?

Anyone ever do this? I'm looking for stainless flex from the master cylinder to an adjustable prop valve then on down to the hard lines. Is this feasible? Any ideas as to supplier? I need to clear up some room for a twin turbo idea that I'm running...

Steve
Old 09-25-2000, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can buy the fittings and hose and make the lines up yourself. Use a -3 hose and fitting. It is very easy to work with this small size and you can fab up the lines easily using hand wrenches, won't even need a vise.

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Southern California 3rd Generation F-Body OrganizationŠ
Old 09-26-2000, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks Tom. I was kind of curious about doing that but actually it scares the hell out of me to think that some brake line that I assembled is going to be stopping me - know what I mean? I wonder what kind of "fitting" horror show I would have to go through to get it to fit with my line lock and adjustable prop valve...?

Steve
Old 09-26-2000, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, from what I have seen in catalogs there are metric-SAE conversion fittings out there. As far as your line lock and prop.valve you could easily use whatever fittings you choose after making the weird GM metric fitting conversion.

As for the lines, I make them all the time in my job. Once you properly tighten the fittings, they are leakproof. Really, it is easy and especially with the small lines. Large lines (-12 and bigger) are really a pain because the line twists as you tighten up the fittings, etc. Small lines (-3; -4; -6) are cake.

There is a "secret" I guess you could call it to making the line assembly easy, and that is to make a very clean cut of the line and the inner teflon liner. Use masking tape around the line, and cut through the masking tape. Then, use a small screwdriver to slightly peel open the braiding, and slip the ferrule inside it. Now, smooth the teflon inner liner so thet the fitting will push in easy. I sometimes use silicone spray to make it slippery. Tighten up the collar fitting and you're done.

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Southern California 3rd Generation F-Body OrganizationŠ