Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Rear-End suspension upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: 383 Stoker
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Detroit Locker Posi
Rear-End suspension upgrade advice

I'm in the process of getting my rear end rebuilt. While they are down there I was just going to have them upgrade the rear suspension since its 20 years old and still factory. Does anyone have any suggestions on what should up changed out and with part #'s maybe. I read around and know that the Moog springs are good so I was going to get a pair of those, Was also curious on shocks. I want something decent but isn't going to break the bank. This car is nothing more then a cruiser and show car and will never be raced or anything.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)
Re: Rear-End suspension upgrade advice

Well there is a lot of parts you can replace.
Springs
Pamhard bar
Sway bar end links & bushings.
Lower rear conrol arms
Shocks
Stainless steel brake lines
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

If you want to lower the car....Do it right the first time & save money in the long run. Go with Ground Control Weight Jacks....

I've wasted time & money on cutting springs, different brands of Lowering Springs, only to end up with the Ground Control Weight Jack setup in the end.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
If you want to lower the car....Do it right the first time & save money in the long run. Go with Ground Control Weight Jacks....

I've wasted time & money on cutting springs, different brands of Lowering Springs, only to end up with the Ground Control Weight Jack setup in the end.
Dear god no! The car already sits 6" off the ground where the side ground effects are and my custom exhaust Y-pipe rubs on about every little dip in the road. I want to keep the factory height. Whats a decent pair of shocks to buy?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

KYB GR2 struts, Gas-a-just rears are really good for the low price. Or the KYB AGX series which is adjustable for just a bit more $$. They are about the best "cheap" setups you can get. To get better than these you need to get some Koni's or Bilsteins, etc... That's my opinion any way.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 AM

Would adjustable's be worth the money? I would never intend on climbing around under the car to change the ride so would they be a waste then? Or do they provide a better ride/performance feel then a standard shock.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

Originally Posted by jaweiss
Would adjustable's be worth the money? I would never intend on climbing around under the car to change the ride so would they be a waste then? Or do they provide a better ride/performance feel then a standard shock.

Unless you like adjusting things, I would say parts that are adjustable would be a waste of money.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

If you don't plan on many track days or racing the car and just want a good low priced set of shocks/struts don't go with the adjustable. But if you have the extra cash and do a lot of spirited driving, bump up to the AGX as you they give you a good bit of adjustment so you can set it how you feel is the best for your driving and leave it there. Options are always nice...
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by DJP87Z28
Well there is a lot of parts you can replace.
Springs
Panhard bar
Sway bar end links & bushings.
Lower rear conrol arms
Shocks
Stainless steel brake lines
The order I would do things:

1) Springs and shocks at the same time. The springs fall out when you're changing shocks anyways. Moog are good. I run the Moog 5665 and Koni yellow shocks....Now before people say the Konis are too expensive, it's the front Konis that cost an arm and a leg. The rear ones are about $240/pair. Do those and the springs and you've got about $300 spent.

Stop there....Enjoy it....The new shocks are where the most performance feel per dollar will be felt. And at an increased comfort over bumps. It will make a huge difference. Even though you can run the Konis on the softest setting (0 clicks), and probably will never need to adjust the rears, they're still amazing shocks to have.

Down the road if you want to upgrade more stuff, then do the following.

2) Sway bar bushings and end links. The Energy Suspension (ES) stuff is nice. And cheap too. For a little more money, you can go with TDS' zinc coated and greaseable setup. Up to you.

3) PHB and LCA. The PHB will help plant your back end during cornering. So it won't want to wiggle on rough roads while cornering. Easy to replace. Fairly cheap. The LCA are mostly for wheel hop problems. But the up/down twisting motion in turning should benefit you as well. I've got a Spohn PHB and LCA waiting to go in. Delsphere on both ends. It was Thanksgiving and everything was on sale. It'll probably go in the next month or so.

4) SS Brake lines. I'd wait until you're replacing pads and/or rotors.

I don't autocross. I do use the car as my daily driver. But I'd rather buy better suspension pieces slowly, than replace everything with lower grade parts quickly. Good suspension will make the car a dream to drive. Especially (and surprisingly) in simple city traffic and highway cruising.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Reid Fleming
The order I would do things:

1) Springs and shocks at the same time. The springs fall out when you're changing shocks anyways. Moog are good. I run the Moog 5665 and Koni yellow shocks....Now before people say the Konis are too expensive, it's the front Konis that cost an arm and a leg. The rear ones are about $240/pair. Do those and the springs and you've got about $300 spent.

Stop there....Enjoy it....The new shocks are where the most performance feel per dollar will be felt. And at an increased comfort over bumps. It will make a huge difference. Even though you can run the Konis on the softest setting (0 clicks), and probably will never need to adjust the rears, they're still amazing shocks to have.

Down the road if you want to upgrade more stuff, then do the following.

2) Sway bar bushings and end links. The Energy Suspension (ES) stuff is nice. And cheap too. For a little more money, you can go with TDS' zinc coated and greaseable setup. Up to you.

3) PHB and LCA. The PHB will help plant your back end during cornering. So it won't want to wiggle on rough roads while cornering. Easy to replace. Fairly cheap. The LCA are mostly for wheel hop problems. But the up/down twisting motion in turning should benefit you as well. I've got a Spohn PHB and LCA waiting to go in. Delsphere on both ends. It was Thanksgiving and everything was on sale. It'll probably go in the next month or so.

4) SS Brake lines. I'd wait until you're replacing pads and/or rotors.

I don't autocross. I do use the car as my daily driver. But I'd rather buy better suspension pieces slowly, than replace everything with lower grade parts quickly. Good suspension will make the car a dream to drive. Especially (and surprisingly) in simple city traffic and highway cruising.
Thank you, This is the type of info I was looking for, Appreciate it.