Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

WTF half a cup of water causes insane vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
WTF half a cup of water causes insane vibrations

see this thread

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...uild-list.html

turns out my rear tires had about half a cup of water in them, now the tires have not been off in a long long while, they don't leak so Im not putting air in all the time. So the water had to be in there for a good 1-2 years but suddenly the water is now tossing them so far out of balance, making it shake like a junky and replacing parts that could have waited.

F'in insane

removed tires from rims, emptied out water n washed out rust, all better.......
Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Sponsor

Received 658 Likes on 582 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: WTF half a cup of water causes insane vibrations

Someone must hate you and used a tractor tire water adapter and added some water.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

No thats not possiable where I live, and it had been in there for a long while, nasty scale rust.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

if anything, the water should have helped to balance the tire...

up here in the frozen tundra known as west central MN, you can tell when tires have a lot of water in them in the winter... the chunks of ice will make the car shake until it gets broken up and melted and then the ride will smooth out..
Old 05-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

^ yeah, just like thr trend of putting balancing beads in tires.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

^ yea I know, it had to of been in there a while, why now is it causing trouble???

tire balance machine would not even spin up for the guy.

Last edited by Gumby; 05-26-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car gets water in the tires a lot (also leaks) and it'll do that. Think of a washing machine. Usually a load will run smoothly but occasionally, due to the weight of the load or whatever it will nearly shake the machine apart.

It has something to do with the amount of water in each individual tire and the speed you are going, if any rust chunks are floating around in it, ect. If it hits that sweet spot, centrifugal force will hold the water to the outside of the tire instead of sloshing around and you'll get vibrations. I need to empty mine out again actually.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:08 AM

You got water in the tires from a water saturated air supply. Maybe the dessicant hadn't been replaced for a few years or a shop routed the air lines incorrectly. I worked at a place that had an air hose near the door that worked more like a water hose sometimes I used it to fill tires tho when I was under the gun to get things done.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:07 PM

You can get water in the tires from a lot of sources actually. Personally I get it from the car sitting in the winter. The tires will get low, and moisture from snow and ice will stick to the tires instead of running off. When it melts it can actually seep behind the rim if the air pressure is low enough.

In other words if you let your car sit during the winter and you have leaky tires, there is a good chance you'll have water in them by spring.

In terms of filling the tires do NOT use a large compressor. The home versions are especially bad about adding water. Those tiny 12v compressors that plug into your lighter socket are best for everyday use. Green slime has a fully digital one for 27 bucks that I just picked up, it's really tiny, doesn't use a lot of power, is fully digital and fills the tires really fast.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by HowardC
You can get water in the tires from a lot of sources actually. Personally I get it from the car sitting in the winter. The tires will get low, and moisture from snow and ice will stick to the tires instead of running off. When it melts it can actually seep behind the rim if the air pressure is low enough.

In other words if you let your car sit during the winter and you have leaky tires, there is a good chance you'll have water in them by spring.

In terms of filling the tires do NOT use a large compressor. The home versions are especially bad about adding water. Those tiny 12v compressors that plug into your lighter socket are best for everyday use. Green slime has a fully digital one for 27 bucks that I just picked up, it's really tiny, doesn't use a lot of power, is fully digital and fills the tires really fast.
you're joking, right? those little 12 volt compressors are fine if you have an hour to air up a tire... i've got a Craftsman one that i got for Christmas about 20 years ago that i keep in the trunk of whatever car i'm daily driving at the time for in case i need air in the middle of nowhere, but i'd never use it as the primary means of airing up a tire..
Old 05-30-2013, 11:07 PM

Nope I'm not. If you want to do something, take the time to do it right.

Also did you ever think that your portable compressor is so slow because it's 20 years old?

The green slime compressor I recommended can inflate a fully flat tire in 6 minutes. Far less if it's just a little low.