Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Replaced steering components, still creaking when turning hard left?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Replaced steering components, still creaking when turning hard left?

I just got my center link, idler arm, all tie rods, and tie rod sleeves replaced. I got it aligned too. The front steering is much tighter. However, I still hear a creaking noise when my wheel is turned all the way to the left. It's a small noise when I turn it all the way, then when I let my foot off the brakes and start rolling, it gets louder and creaks more.

What could this be? I brought ball joints in, but the shop that installed everything told me my ball joints were good. But actually the first thing they said was "it's a hard job to do the ball joints," then he said, they were good anyway.

Also how can I tighten up the rear steering? The front steering is nice and tight now, but the car still feels sloppy. Just doesn't go straight like every other car I've ever drove. It goes straight, just feels sloppy. Also when I take off one of my rear tires, there's black grease all over the area where you put the tire on. I've been told it's probably differential oil leaking. Would that have anything to do with the slopiness?

Every shop that has taken a quick look at my car in the past 9 months says nothing really needs replacing, but then again they never notice the grease all over the rear tire area either. Many shops told me the tie rods didn't need immediate replacement, when in fact I should have replaced them 9 months ago when I got an alignment. Also it's funny the shops warned me about the tie rods, but didn't warn me about the idler arm that actually went terribly bad before the tie rods. I feel like most shops just cater to customers who just want their cars to run, only go in to the shop when something is terribly wrong, and then get taxed on parts and labor. If I was running a shop I would rather have these customers too. Get the work done fast, easy, and make more money.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Replaced steering components, still creaking when turning hard left?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it may be your K member bolts. I've read on a few different threads that the K member bolts come loose, even to the point where they have fallen out.

Do a search on k member creak or creaking or something along those lines. Hopefully you will find the thread I'm referring to.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Any rub marks on the inner fender or the tire itself? These cars have wide tires, and it doesnt take much to make them rub. Unless you have smaller wheels/tires. But I would check for tire rubbing at full lock.

Only other things I could think of would be wheel bearings. Is it def coming from the front end???

As for your slop... If it feels numb when going straight, like you have some play left and right or it wanders, your steering box could need replaced. You can get a reman unit for a reasonable price, and ifyour car doesnt already have the quick ratio unit, you can get that one as an upgrade. Dont try to adjust your steering box...you will find write ups online about this. That is not a proper fix, and will just wear out again, sometimes faster and worse.

It could also be in your wheel bearings, steering shaft rag joint, strut mounts, or your a-arm bushings maybe. Everything has to be gone through...these cars are old and most of the bushings are past their intended service limit, even if they were replaced back in the day. There really isnt that much to replace, and its all pretty inexpensive. SO full freshen up on the steering/suspension isnt the worst idea. You'll be amazed at how much better it feels.

K-member bolts are CERTAINLY somethign to check. Just put a wrench on them and see if they're tight. Ive never personally seen or had them loosen up. I run em in dry and torque them down. No problems.

The grease on the rear wheel sounds like a seal blew out. Only way to really diagnose this is to pull it apart and replace it. Again...freshening up the rear end is not a big deal, and shouldnt be expensive parts wise. Its also somethign that should be done. Gear oil has a change interval just like your other fluids...and its often overlooked. Great time to tear into it and replace what it needs.

J.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Also take a look at the "frame" under the steering gear; might be broken off under there, like so many others.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

A suggestion to check for the creaking from the front end is to drive the car onto ramps and have somebody turn the wheel back and forth (about 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock) while you look underneath. Some good suggestions already posted, anything i can think of has already been suggested. Just don't go throwing a bunch of money at it. Take the time to figure it out.

I also agree with the person who says the rear is probably an axle seal. Make sure its not a wheel cylinder/brakes leaking. but if its black and greasy probably not brake fluid.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 AM

Thanks everyone. I know it's crazy, but I still don't have a jack. I've been borrowing friends' whenever I needed it. So I'll check all those things the next time I get a chance.

I forgot to mention the car also still seems to sway a lot in the wind (with the windows up), a lot more than any other car I've driven. Would replacing the sway bars help? I'm sure checking all of the things that have been mentioned will help too.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Would replacing the sway bars help?
Probably not. But replacing all the end links & bushings might.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FreeSpirit
I forgot to mention the car also still seems to sway a lot in the wind (with the windows up), a lot more than any other car I've driven.
? You can feel a difference with the windows up compared to to them down?

Are you meaning that you still have some play in the steering wheel and you are still constantly making corrections to keep the car relativity straight?

^^^If this is the case then the play is still in the steering somewhere. Don't worry, all high mileage cars do this, especially if they are not taken care of.

In this thread I outlined what to check for to get the steering all checked out to find the source of the steering play:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...ack-forth.html

The whole thread is relevant but post # 4 will be what you need to do to help you find your play.

My first third gen was a 91 z28 and the steering was excellent and precise.

My new 89 iroc-z had not been maintained when I purchased it and the steering was very unpredictable due to all the play in the steering.

I'm happy to report after rebuilding everything steering-wise that my steering on my 25 year old 89 iroc feels better then my 91 z28 when it was new!

I ordered all the following parts from rock auto for $246.15 including shipping. All are high quality moog replacements. *You save a lot going through Rock Auto*

part #7910 Power Steering Pump seal kit.
part #8522 Steering gear rebuild kit.
ES2226RL Tie rod ends
ES2227RL Tie rod ends
K6145T Ball joints
K6249 Idler Arm
DS1049 Center link

While everything was important, I would say the majority of the slop was in my gear box. Also don't forget to pick up a rag joint from your parts store.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt - 2.77

My iroc creaks also when you turn the wheel left when you get to the stops. Doesn't do this every time. Been trying to figure it out also. Its ok when turning right. I'll let you know what I find when I look at it next time I have it on my rack at work.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

If its creaking while you are hard against the stop, but not if you come off the stop some, then its probably just the stops making noise.

The stops on our cars are a flat piece of metal riveted to the a-arm. If you go metal to metal on those, it doesnt take much to make a noise, and it only needs a slight vibration or back and forth motion from the susp cyling to make it creak or squeak.

Easiest suggestion is to just keep it off the stops. If all of your bushings are good, and tierods/balljoints are good, and everything is tight, I would just try to stay off of the stops and see if it goes away.

When I swapped to LS1 brakes and lowered my car, I welded adjustable stops on my a-arms and they hvae a rounded head. Havent had any weird noises or anything. And the added bonus if being able to adjust things so I dont stuff my tires while turned.

J.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:33 PM

Thanks everyone. I am looking to fully redo the suspension and steering completely. Also add subframe connectors, wonder bar, and whatever else would be useful. Im open to all suggestions.

Originally Posted by NOSHOWALLGO
? You can feel a difference with the windows up compared to to them down?
Yeah, a huge difference on any freeway. Not on the street. I know all cars do this, but this one more than any other car Ive driven. There will be no wind, no one else will be swerving with their windows open, and Ill be swerving slightly. My windows are loose and rattle when Im on the street going over bumps. Some of the weather stripping needs to be replaced too.

Are you meaning that you still have some play in the steering wheel and you are still constantly making corrections to keep the car relativity straight?
Actually I dont have to make corrections, even when my steering components were old, I didnt have to start making corrections until the idler arm was about to go. It just wobbles a little bit but keeps going in the same direction, even with my hand off the wheel.

I ordered all the following parts from rock auto for $246.15 including shipping. All are high quality moog replacements. *You save a lot going through Rock Auto*

Yeah rockauto has the best prices. I replaced all those parts about a week ago, except for the steering gear. I got the ball joints but the shop claimed they didnt need replacing. But I suspect they just didnt want to do it, because two seconds before that, they said it was a hard job to perform.

I replaced the power steering pump, reservoir, and all hoses and seals about 9 months.