Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Which panhard bar to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which panhard bar to go with?

Hi guys I'm currently upgrading a few suspension parts and I was just wondering what panhard bar I should go with? And also should I go with non adjustable or adjustable??
Old 02-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Re: Which panhard bar to go with?

Been running a Gulstrand unit since 1987! No Issues...

Originally Posted by Bryces82Z/28
Hi guys I'm currently upgrading a few suspension parts and I was just wondering what panhard bar I should go with? And also should I go with non adjustable or adjustable??
Old 02-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

90% of what we sell are adjustable. Non-adjustable is used when you never, ever plan on lowering the car.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...dex&cPath=6_84

The end style depends on how quiet you'd like it and/or how you plan to use the car.

ramey
Old 02-13-2014, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears

UMI makes some pretty good parts, however take a look at Founders. I have one of their bars on my car, and adjustable rod-end/poly bar. Like Ramey a non-adjustable bar is good if your car is stock height, and if you are on a budget since they are usually cheaper than an adjustable piece. Adjustable is good if you car has been lowered, or if you aren't sure that the rear is square. Dean (SlickTrackGod) can elaborate more about getting your rear squared up with adjustable control arms and panhard bars. I say go for the adjustable bar.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 PM

[QUOTE="UMI Sales;5714345"] 90% of what we sell are adjustable. Non-adjustable is used when you never, ever plan on lowering the car.

So adjustable it is! Now I've already have the bmr springs and sway bar, would adding your panhard bar mess things up or am I okay?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by khulsebus
UMI makes some pretty good parts, however take a look at Founders. I have one of their bars on my car, and adjustable rod-end/poly bar. Like Ramey a non-adjustable bar is good if your car is stock height, and if you are on a budget since they are usually cheaper than an adjustable piece. Adjustable is good if you car has been lowered, or if you aren't sure that the rear is square. Dean (SlickTrackGod) can elaborate more about getting your rear squared up with adjustable control arms and panhard bars. I say go for the adjustable bar.

Now I have the bmr lowering springs and rear sway bar, would having a different brand panhard bar mess things up? Or am I okay?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 LSD

Nope, just fine. Some guys believe in brand loyalty, I believe in analyzing specs and ordering whatever is best (or cheapest) for the application.

I'm running Spohn SFC's because they're tubular, a UMI PHB through Strano and will probably go to UMI for a-arms and LCA's. I like all of the products on my car and would recommend any of the brands however.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by midnightfirews6
Nope, just fine. Some guys believe in brand loyalty, I believe in analyzing specs and ordering whatever is best (or cheapest) for the application. I'm running Spohn SFC's because they're tubular, a UMI PHB through Strano and will probably go to UMI for a-arms and LCA's. I like all of the products on my car and would recommend any of the brands however.
Now should I lean towards the single adjustable, double adjustable, or the single adjustable with roto joints? If you can,can you explain to me how the roto joints are beneficial?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now should I lean towards the single adjustable, double adjustable, or the single adjustable with roto joints? If you can,can you explain to me how the roto joints are beneficial?
You can read about the delsphere type roto joints here:

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-...ot-Joints.html

I've put a little over 4000 miles on mine and I love them. I will say that I read on a mustang forum that a few people had theirs slowly come loose; but they used there adjuster and it tightened them right back up.

I have not had that problem with mine my self though. I'm using them on my LCA's & Panhard bar.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: LG4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 LSD

Double adjustable allows you to adjust it on the car without unbolting it- I'd suggest going with that.

The delrin lined joints work like a rod end but absorb some noise, last longer and are rebuildable and don't bind like poly bushings. To reduce some noise and harshness, a poly/ delrin joint double adjustable would be great for a street car. If you don't care about noise/ ride as much or it's a full race car the delrin joint/delrin joint is the way to go.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Car: '89 Camaro
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears

You are going to open pandora's box on here asking about what bushing and the type of adjustment that you want. It seems like everyone has their opinion on bushings, some (not many) with quantifiable proof (besides seat of the pants or theories) behind their opinion. I will tell you what I have on my car, I have Founders poly/roto-joint control arms and their 'off-car' adjustable rod-end/poly panhard bar.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

UMI with roto joints is on my parts list. I think Founders and Spohn make the same thing.

Poly can bind, Rod ends are usually considered too noisy for a street car and some say they collect grit and grime from the road and wear faster. Although some people run a Poly/Rod end PHB with the poly end on the body.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 TPI Procharger D1SC
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=111

Here's what I am currently running. No complaints about the product. Reasonable price and great fit.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks guys for all the help! I'm probably leaning towards either founders, or umi. From the research I've done they are great products and the prices are very good compared to other brands.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

Double Adjustable does not ALWAYS mean on-car adjustable, kind of..... The version that is, is the style that adjusts in the middle. Mine has rod ends on both ends. It was advertised as on-car adjustable. Yes it is.....Sort of! The jam nut on the passenger side cannot be accessed with the phb still in place. I had to pull the retaining bolt out, drop that end of the bar down, loosen the jam nut, put the bar back up in place, put the retaining bolt in THEN adjust the bar. Once I had it adjusted? Reverse all that to tighten the jam nut. PIA! (the on-car part of the description has since been removed on the page)

Last edited by BlackenedBird; 02-14-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Thanks guys for all the help! I'm probably leaning towards either founders, or umi. From the research I've done they are great products and the prices are very good compared to other brands.
I had UMI on-car adj. ph rod in my old T/A along with UMI LCA's. Handled great.

Currently have Founders on-car ph rod ready to go into my IROC.

Both are solid choices. I use poly ends...didn't notice any bind or squeak in my T/A
Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Project
I had UMI on-car adj. ph rod in my old T/A along with UMI LCA's. Handled great. Currently have Founders on-car ph rod ready to go into my IROC. Both are solid choices. I use poly ends...didn't notice any bind or squeak in my T/A
Yeah I was planning on going with the founders single adjustable ph rod with poly bushings. I've heard that it's a great product and you can't go wrong with the price!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird convertible
Engine: LQ4 ls 6.0
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 342 Limited slip

I use the founders I like that they use DOM steel and they also pulse weld their bars together and for the price