Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

installed new shock but need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed new shock but need some advice!

i installed my new shocks but the top part of the shocks gave me problems there was 2 metal washers and 2 rubbers. 1 side of the rubber had a little round and and the other had a fairly good size round end. so i put on a washer and put the small part down and the 2 mediums against each other and then put the washer on and tightened them until there was no gap. i am wondering if i tightened them enough i pushed down on the car and the car went down and then slowly came up . is that normal or should the car come up quick?i am scared i have done something wrong let me know if i have.
Old 12-29-2001, 06:55 PM

I'm installing mine right now, and I have exactly the same question. In my case, I have two nuts to tighten down. My useless Koni instructions indicate that the rubber shouldn't be over-compressed. The diagram showing what you're not supposed to do looks exactly like how the car was before I removed the shocks! So, for the second bolt, how much should it be torqued too? Haynes says 13 ft-lbs, that would mean the rubber will be very over-compressed!

Thanks, Dave '91 GTA, '01 WS6 T/A
Old 12-29-2001, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Pro-Built Automatic/Vigilante 2800
install shock through top opening by first installing the washer with dished end facing up then the rubber with the smaller round end facing up also. Next slide the shock through opening and install the rubber with small end facing down and dish end of washer facing down and tighten. Most shocks come with stops so just tighten it till it won't go any more. If yours do not and the shaft is threaded all the way down then tighten it untill just a little bit of the rubber begins to squeeze out from underneath the washer. I'm sure you guys have already figured this out but installing the rear shocks is a two man operation, impossable to do on your own.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:24 PM

at first i tightened one and the rubbed was starting to compress so much it was thicker than the washer so i loosened it up and tightened it until the rubbers compressed enough to touch each other fairly snug.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 GTA
Engine: 377ci
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: QP Ford 9" 3.70s
When bolting down your shocks, compress the rubber until it is as big as the the washer. If it is expanded any more the rubber outside the washer is useless because it has nothing to push against. once you have tightened the first nut so the rubber is compressed to the size of the washer add the second nut to lock the the first nut in place.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:29 PM

when you say that the 2 rubbers go insed the 2 washers should it look like this inverted? -[II]- that diagram is the washers and rubbers when the shock goes up through them.just flip it upright to get the picture.