TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

odd firing order on 89 305 tbi

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odd firing order on 89 305 tbi

A friends camaro has been going through ignition modules like crazy for the past few months.

The first time it messed up, I showed him how to install the ignition module. I noticed that the firing order was wierd so I wrote numbers on the top of the wires to remember his order. Then I tried the 18436572 order, and no go. So I put it back like it was and it fired up, i thought nothing of it then went home.

Well yesterday the magnet part of the pick-up shattered into a bunch of pieces while he was on the interstate. He got it towed to my house and ordered his new distributor.

Should I install it exactly as it comes out or go to TDC and use the correct firing order and set his timing. I can't tell you off hand what order they are in right now, but later i can post the order. What would cause a diff order to be required??

sorry so long.

thanks in advance
Old 12-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
If you look, I'd bet it's the correct firing order, just using a different post for #1. Were it me, I'd turn it to tdc and put it in correctly.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:00 PM

lol...your right

.....x2..1
....7......8 x=screw
......6..3x
front of car

was it just dropped in wrong or what?
Old 12-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Yes, they dropped the dizzy in wrong and just moved the wires accordingly.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Re: odd firing order on 89 305 tbi

Originally Posted by 91rsklown
A friends camaro has been going through ignition modules like crazy for the past few months.

The first time it messed up, I showed him how to install the ignition module. I noticed that the firing order was wierd so I wrote numbers on the top of the wires to remember his order. Then I tried the 18436572 order, and no go. So I put it back like it was and it fired up, i thought nothing of it then went home.

Well yesterday the magnet part of the pick-up shattered into a bunch of pieces while he was on the interstate. He got it towed to my house and ordered his new distributor.

Should I install it exactly as it comes out or go to TDC and use the correct firing order and set his timing. I can't tell you off hand what order they are in right now, but later i can post the order. What would cause a diff order to be required??

sorry so long.

thanks in advance
What was the one you changed it back to?
Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: odd firing order on 89 305 tbi

1. Repeat failure of the ignition module is typically due to:
A. Failure to use HEAT SINK COMPOUND under the module. Some folks use chassis grease, others use silicone grease. Both are incorrect.
B. Partially-failed ignition coil. If the primary windings short so the resistance of the coil is decreased, the excess current drawn by the failed coil will cause module problems.
C. You've probably found the REAL cause of the "module failures" wasn't a module failure at all--it was a defective pick-up coil. Might be that those old modules are perfectly serviceable.

2. It's always best to re-set the distributor to factory position +/- for timing adjustment. Plenty of guys play pin-the-tail-on-the-distributor, but doing it right doesn't cause problems or confusion for the next guy who works on the car.