TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

engine dies when shifting into reverse or drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: engine dies when shifting into reverse or drive

I want to thank you for your posts from some 9 years ago. I googled up my symptoms on my 91 R1500 SUBURBAN 5.7. After eliminating vacuum leaks, installing a reman tbi unit, new tps,iac, egr and controller, and a new torque converter, the thing still stalled in drive or reverse once warmed up. NEW distributor fixed it. The prior cardon unit was only 2 years old. Contact at top of rotor from coil had been arcing and looked burnt. Suspect the reluctor magnets were dodgy too. Need to reset timing (a bit retarded after the install). What a relief to a month long expensive game of hide and go seek.....thanks again.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my truck its 1982 chevy k20 with 305 in it and it starts but after like 10 minutes of it running it dies out but when i put it in drive or reverse it wants to die unless i peddle it. Can anyone help me out i've been stuck on this problem for awhile now and that the only thing i have left. thanks.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by joshyoung65
I'm having the same problem with my truck its 1982 chevy k20 with 305 in it and it starts but after like 10 minutes of it running it dies out but when i put it in drive or reverse it wants to die unless i peddle it. Can anyone help me out i've been stuck on this problem for awhile now and that the only thing i have left. thanks.
1. Start a new thread with your specific symptoms rather than adding to an unrelated thread.

2. Your '82 came from the factory with a carburetor, not TBI fuel injection. This forum is for vehicles with TBI injection (specifically Camaro/Firebirds, even though those of us with other TBI vehicles tag along.) Did someone convert your vehicle to TBI?

3. Fixing your vehicle shouldn't be that tough. First off, when was the last FULL tune-up, including checking the plugs, plug wires, EGR operation, PCV operation, charcoal canister operation, catalytic converter efficiency, inspecting/replacing all filters, checking the distributor and ignition coil for proper operation and ignition timing at all speeds, checking for proper fuel metering by the carburetor, along with a compression test to verify the thing hasn't lost a cylinder or two? First Guess: A thorough tune up will either fix the problem, or it will identify a problem area for further repair. By "tune up" I do not mean slamming fresh spark plugs into it, checking the timing at idle, and shutting the hood.