TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Hellp PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1999 Tahoe LT 4x4
Engine: 5.7 Vortech 350
Transmission: 4L80E
Hellp PLEASE!!

I am taking off the smog pump on my 92 r.s. w/a 305 t.b.i. I have the belt off and am stuck on what exactly the tube is that hooks up to the smog pump and goes into something else that goes through the firewall. Thank you TWELLS
Old 04-01-2001, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
It doesn't go into the firewall. It goes around the back of the engine along the firewall to your drivers side exhaust manifolds. It's just a tube to get air over to the other side. the AIR isn't very complicated. There should also be a pipe coming from your cat. If you're getting rid of the air thinking it'll give you some extra hp it won't. It might give you a half a hp but it's not worth it. That's like changing your air filter from a 3" to a 3.05" or something stupid like that. I on the other hand needed to get my car on the road ASAP so I decided to leave out the air system. I also plugged off the heater core because I don't like how the heater system works in our cars but that's off subject.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red RS w/grey int, sq stereo (Alpine v12, kicker solo, MB quart premium etc)
  • Holley 670 TB unit w/ 1/2" spacer/adapter
  • Edelbrock RPM vortec intake
  • 350ho 330hp vortec crate motor
  • 8" harm. balancer
  • Stewart stage 2 water pump w/160 thermo
  • SLP tri-y headers to full 3"
  • Rebuilt trans w/ SLP shift kit
  • Centerline 16x8's all around
  • 36/24 mm sway bars
  • Full poly bushings, even motor mounts
  • SLP LCA and panhard
  • Alston SFCs
  • Edelbrock 3 point STB
  • Global west steering brace aka wonderbar
  • Eibach pro kit springs
  • Bilstien high perf. struts and shocks
  • All this and I still have AC
My websiteAny questions?
Old 04-01-2001, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 TTA
Engine: Turbo 3.8
Transmission: 200R4
You make it seem really easy. But for first time mods, most of us beginners are so afraid of screwing something up and having our car not run anymore. What is actually included in the AIR system? The smog pump and that little black box and all those hoses with that dumper looking valve? I would really like to remove all of this stuff too, just to clean up the engine bay. I need to get a smog pump delete pulley first though, cause I don't want to change the belt size. Can anybody give detailed instructions of the removal of the air system? Possibly with pictures ? And does anyone know where I can get that smog pump delete pulley? I've checked the archives but couldn't find anything.
Old 04-01-2001, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 TTA
Engine: Turbo 3.8
Transmission: 200R4
Well, I found it. P/N 10186167 I believe it's directly from GM too. I just have a couple of more questions. From the smog pump there is that one metal tube that runs up into the bottom of that black box. Inside that box there are two wire connectors you can see if you remove the cover. Now, from the back of that box there is one tube (the innermost one) that has a branch going down that splits up into four separate air tubes into the passenger's side exhaust manifold and the rest of the tube continues back around the distributor to the driver's side where it breaks up into four separate air tubes for the driver's side manifold. Ok, that takes care of one of the tubes from the black box. There is the outer one, and I'm having trouble seeing where that one leads too. I was assume it would go to the catalytic convertor. And there is one last tube that comes from the top of the black box and it leads into some kind of dump valve looking thing. Am I right so far? Then there is another set of hoses. There is another dumb valve looking thing. It has two hoses out of the back and one from its side. One hose from the back leads into the firewall, one into the intake manifold by the distributor, and the one from the side goes to the radiator I believe. What exactly is that thing?? If someone could further explain this to me or post a picture of a LO3 with the AIR removed I would appreciate it. If I do decide to remove this system, I will make a tech article with every possible question I can think of answered. And I will take plenty of pictures with a DC to further explain it step by step.