TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

need shifting advice......

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need shifting advice......

the 88SC 305 redlines at 5k...
i ran a 16.8@81 et shifting at 4k rpm...
dont get to make it to the track much
but should i shift at a higher rpm???
its bone stock.help me out.....
-------------------------------
SPEED
Old 09-20-2001, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I take it you have a manual.

anyways I manually shift my auto at 5 grand and I notice quiet a difference from computer shifts. I haven't made it you the track so I could just be 'feelin' the power that might not be there.

------------------
late model 91 rs
fully loaded t-tops, red leather
paint- gm red and yellow blend (light red)
custom painted 16" Camaro rims
305 tbi 14"x3" O.E, hypertech chip, accel super stock plug wires
Edelbrock 3" cat-back
MTX sub and amp, Bose all around
vic_v8@yahoo.com
street kills: a lot of "family" cars, pickups, New v-6 stang, totally killed '86 SC Camaro, 91 z 28 with 305
next month: rest of ultimate tbi
Old 09-20-2001, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

most stockish tbi LO3's get best results from shifting around 5k. don't mind that redline on the tach. i shifted at it for years without any probs.

later
tim

------------------
91 Camaro RS-LO3,Auto.
14.209@95.46mph
Best 60' 1.917
Check Out The East Coast F-Body Nationals Home Page
www.geocities.com/njspeeder

My MAFB.ORG Home Page
www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=299

DSI Racing Home Page
www.geocities.com/foff667
Old 09-22-2001, 11:21 PM

How are you shifting? If you let off the gas when you shift, you are wasting time. It should be a fluid motion of clutch jab, and gear ****** all at once. Keep your right foot planted on the gas. Like with a 1st to 2nd shift, be pulling gently back on the shifter, and as soon as you punch the clutch in with your left foot, rip the shifter back, and you should have already side stepped the clutch as you are hitting the rear stop in 2nd gear. Practice with the engine not running first, and then maybe at half throttle. With an Lo3 I dont think you are going to blast your bottom end if you miss a shift. As for your shift points, you are going to have to experiment with it. I would assume rip a gear at 4800 or so, so you would actually be shifting at 5-5200 or something like that. I shift my car at 5500. After you get the hang of shifting like that, you will probbally drop a considerable ammout of time off of your ET. Now the only tricky thing you have to get down is launching.

------------------
69 Chevelle 2dr hardtop blue, bench seats, 12 bolt w/3.73's muncie 4 speed. TBI w/custom harness and prom best 14.5@90

[This message has been edited by ChevelleCLM (edited September 22, 2001).]
Old 09-23-2001, 04:47 PM

You apparently don't like syncronizers, you need to back of the gas for at least a split second when you shift. The sycro's might be very durable but they only can do so much without rounding the edge on a gear.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:29 PM

I love my synchros. If you come off the gas, you are wasting time. Bottom line man. If you have a quality tranny, this should not be a problem.

------------------
69 Chevelle 2dr hardtop blue, bench seats, 12 bolt w/3.73's muncie 4 speed. TBI w/custom harness and prom best 14.5@90
Old 09-23-2001, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CODY BEHNKE:
You apparently don't like syncronizers, you need to back of the gas for at least a split second when you shift. .</font>
what the hell are you talking about? have you ever heard of power shifting dude?
i have driven any number of cars and shifted with my foot firmly on the floor. i know that has been running the same tranny that came from the factory in his '86 L69 T/A and racing every weekend right next to the rest of us.
want more proof, look at the mustang guys, most of them came with the same T-5 that came in the camaros, and those guys beat them sensless and rarely see failures until they are running lewd power numbers.
these trannies are not labeled "fragile". all the gears are hardened, the syncro races are machined, adn the forks don't flex.
anyone who doesn't power shift is just wasting their time!!!

later
tim

------------------
91 Camaro RS-LO3,Auto
New Times Coming Soon!
My MAFB.ORG Home Page
DSI Racing Home Page
Old 09-23-2001, 11:27 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NJ SPEEDER:
what the hell are you talking about? have you ever heard of power shifting dude?
i have driven any number of cars and shifted with my foot firmly on the floor. i know that has been running the same tranny that came from the factory in his '86 L69 T/A and racing every weekend right next to the rest of us.
want more proof, look at the mustang guys, most of them came with the same T-5 that came in the camaros, and those guys beat them sensless and rarely see failures until they are running lewd power numbers.
these trannies are not labeled "fragile". all the gears are hardened, the syncro races are machined, adn the forks don't flex.
anyone who doesn't power shift is just wasting their time!!!

later
tim

</font>
not to sound dumb , but
what do you mean by Power Shift ???
Old 09-24-2001, 12:15 PM

Ok, What ever you say. I have also had a Mustang Gt also. You shift the way you want and I'll shift my way and we'll see whos tranny doesn't grind into gear in a couple of years. By the way it doesn't matter if it is hardend steel, that just means it won't flex it just breaks.
Old 09-24-2001, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll race Cody any day... Gotta plant it to win. This is actually funny...

In my youth, we used to shift the "rock-crusher" Muncies WITHOUT the clutch entirely... Just pull/push as hard as you can. I'd rather win a race and have to rebuild my tranny than lose...

[This message has been edited by fast_broker (edited September 24, 2001).]
Old 09-24-2001, 05:18 PM

"Power Shifing" might be the ticket if your running down the strip, but if you like to road race that isn't the fastest way to get around the track.
Old 09-24-2001, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, What ever you say. I have also had a Mustang Gt also. You shift the way you want and I'll shift my way and we'll see whos tranny doesn't grind into gear in a couple of years. By the way it doesn't matter if it is hardend steel, that just means it won't flex it just breaks.</font>
this is funny. foirst you show up out of no where with a complete bulls$$t lie of an ET. now you are telling us all that you did it with out power shifting. amn you must have one amazing car. talk about a factory freak, jeez you go 1.5 secs faster than everyone else out of the box and you do it while granny shifting. WOW!!!!!

later
tim

------------------
91 Camaro RS-LO3,Auto
New Times Coming Soon!
My MAFB.ORG Home Page
DSI Racing Home Page
Old 09-24-2001, 07:09 PM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by speedtendancy:
[/b]</font>
not to sound dumb , but
what do you mean by Power Shift ???[/B][/QUOTE]

powershifting is when you shift gears without lifting off the gas peddle at all. if you have a good net connection(cable or dsl will work best) you can go to www.geocities.com/foff667 adn look in the videos section for a complete explanation.

later
tim

------------------
91 Camaro RS-LO3,Auto
New Times Coming Soon!
My MAFB.ORG Home Page
DSI Racing Home Page
Old 09-24-2001, 09:28 PM

I have heard of people making strictly racing trannys out of muncies, by taking out the synchros, and not using a clutch to shift, but then there is not an option to shift smoothly when your GF is with you. I like being able to go from granny shift to Gear ****** in a sec. GO look at the video in the above link. They tell you how to do it exactly like I did. Almost word for word. Very good video even though it features mustangs. I have trashed 3 autos, and no manuals all in the same car. I must have missed the Outrageous ET post you put up. hahaah How were you shifting that car?

------------------
Old 09-25-2001, 07:38 AM

Hey NJSPEEDER I didn't just pop up out of no where either, I have always checked out thirdgen but had a 94 t/a at the time so i've only posted since I got my 91 Formula. I miss a good flame so here we go. If you are so smart you would realize there is a lot between "granny shifting" and your method of "power shifting". I don't back all the way out when i shift either. As I push the clutch in I ease the gas out then smash the gas again when done clutching. I ease ou but the gas still remains over 50%.If you want proof of my cars times have snflupigus come to Scibner, or since you have alot of money to spend on trannies save some to come watch yourself. Yes 14.4 was unbelivable for me also so I went to a good track, but i still ran a 14.856 and a 14.941 both around 93 mph.

[This message has been edited by CODY BEHNKE (edited September 25, 2001).]
Old 09-25-2001, 09:37 AM

I bet if you powershift it you could get a 14.5? Or maybe your shifting skills are not adept enough to perform this transmission destruction rituial as you put it. I am just curious as to how many transmissions you have ever broken and or taken apart to fix? I would bet that it's not too many.

------------------
Old 09-25-2001, 12:58 PM

Actually I work at my local Chevy dealerships service dept. So my toal rebulds are Manual= 4 (t-5)/3 (t-56) Automatic= 7 (700r4)/ 2 (4l60e) so yeah i've rebuilt my share.

Old 09-25-2001, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

NJSpeeder: I think you should be willing to give Cody a little slack. He's certainly not the first person I've heard that suggested that you shouldn't powershift a T-5 (spend some time on the drivetrain board, they'll tell you that even a stock 305 will break a T-5 with enough powershifting).
I lost my 5th gear snap ring while powershifting (yeah, I know, powershifting 5th is dumb, but I was wailing on a granny-driven Boxter at the time).
Oh, and didn't Cody show Snuf timeslips for his 14.5?

------------------
No guts, no glory.
Old 09-25-2001, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Hey NJSPEEDER I didn't just pop up out of no where either, I have always checked out thirdgen but had a 94 t/a at the time so i've only posted since I got my 91 Formula. I miss a good flame so here we go. If you are so smart you would realize there is a lot between "granny shifting" and your method of "power shifting". I don't back all the way out when i shift either. As I push the clutch in I ease the gas out then smash the gas again when done clutching. I ease ou but the gas still remains over 50%.If you want proof of my cars times have snflupigus come to Scibner, or since you have alot of money to spend on trannies save some to come watch yourself. Yes 14.4 was unbelivable for me also so I went to a good track, but i still ran a 14.856 and a 14.941 both around 93 mph.

[This message has been edited by CODY BEHNKE (edited September 25, 2001).]
</font>
it's comforting to know you lurked before you lied. i feel so much better about your ET's now.
and what exactly do you mean by a lot of money, i work for a charity dude. i could have a lot more money if i did the same job in the private sector, but i actually believe in what i do so i will forgo that for now.
as far as having spent a lot on trannies, i have had exactly 1 rebuild on my 700R4 in the 7 years that i have been driving/racing my car. i have never had a tranmission failure in any other car i have raced or driven.
if you are gonna try to flame someone, at least pretend you know what you are talking about a little.

later
tim

------------------
91 Camaro RS-LO3,Auto
New Times Coming Soon!
My MAFB.ORG Home Page
DSI Racing Home Page
Old 09-25-2001, 04:45 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 3.89
listen to NJSPEEDER this guy knows what he is talking about. he helped me out alot with getting those little tenths of a sec out of my car and for my final assault on the 12's.
thanks njspeeder

camaroracer1992
Old 09-25-2001, 06:14 PM

NJSPEEDER you are the kid who always got picked on in school aren't you? I know what i'm talking about, to work were I do requires ASE certification along with update courses every three months. And where do you get off calling me a liar, what does it take I got pictures of my car at the 1/4 plus timeslips theres nothing else I can do to prove it to anyone. Then again what does you opinion matter anyway?

Old 09-25-2001, 07:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
sorry guys gotta join in on this one but I agree with cody here

I admit I dont have the same car as you guys but I have ruined a tranny doing this powershift stuff

though when I shift it is around 7500-8000 rpms and when I would powershift the rpms would hit around 8500 before the clutch was fully in. I have broke a clutch in 3 pieces doing this. I also on the same tranny but different time broke a few few of the teeth on the gear going into second.

since then I shift with letting off the gas.
and as for did notreally lose much when I power shifted all i did was lose traction.

now since I have my new tranny I dont want to ruin the bastard. that and when I auto cross if I shift like that all I do is spin the car. need to let off that way it is a lot smoother

but to each there own. shift how you like.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:25 PM

Njspeeder you are totally correct. If your goin to the track you go all out or nothing at all. As for cody and the ASE certs I have worked at two dealers Brogan Cadillac and currently at Globe Mercedes and ASE dont mean **** in the real world. I mean to get your certs you need to know your **** but real world is totally different. I'm only 17 and yes i'm going for my certs but thats so i make my teach happy. Sometimes you gotta beat the crap out of your car to make it go all out

89 Formula with a 350 TBI and 15.073 et.
Old 09-26-2001, 01:50 AM

I want to see an ASE certification. I am got my brakes, suspension, and drivetrain ones, and hope to someday get the master, and maybe a few others, but those tests were hard as ****.
Cody, man you make alot of "out there" claims, and they might be true, but are still way out there. If you dont mind me asking, what was the internal clearance of the clutch packs for 1st gear in that 4l60? I havent done an auto in some while?

If you break something, replace it, OR replace it with something better. They have trannys that can take powershifting. I would have a t-56, and would love the .5:1 OD with it, but the muncie was just such an easy swap. Bolt in. I know neither are indestructable, but I am not too worried about breaking gears or whatever.
I also would like to know what motor you had spinning 8500 RPM. I am in aggreance with the auto crossing and no powershifting. thats foolish. I just got back from New Orleans and I am pretty tired so if this is noncoherent wait till tommorow, and I will follow up.

------------------
Old 09-26-2001, 04:13 AM
Supreme Member

I own a rx7
little 1.3L car without pistons

and I agree though if you are going to shift hard ( though still think it is hard on the driveline) to get a better tranny and actually on my way to do that soon.. if I could only figure out how to get a t56 to fit.... guess I will have to snag the tranny from the turbo mod...

stock redline for my car is at 7000 though the car goes beyond that all the time.highst I will shift is at 8000 past that I start to lose power( time for a port job).
right now my car has 168k on it though

[This message has been edited by rx7speed (edited September 26, 2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 12:08 PM

Hey ChevelleClm you make me laugh, out there claims huh. Being ASE certified is really hard ain't it. Just about every shop in town has ASE certified employees but maybe things are different in your neck of the woods. I don't come here to brag about simple s*#t like that. It just gives me a good laugh to see people like you get all outa shape, it's downright amusing. And screw your stupid question there is two answers anyway. I simply posted here to say that full power shifting is bad on syncronizers which is true, so cry some more tit baby.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:58 PM

OK what would the 2 answers be then? I guess I will have to agree with you that it probbally is not in the best intrest of the transmission, but since we all have brilliant ASE techs like yourself to do our work for us why not shift it like hell. I wont flame you any more over this. I guess I will not retort on the tit baby comment.

------------------
Old 09-26-2001, 10:06 PM
Supreme Member

to work were I do requires ASE certification along with update courses every three months.

</font>
i don't really care about your certs dude. i know a bunch of highly certified mechanics that can barely tie their shoes without a set of instructions. certs don't mean a lot to me.
the best mechanic i have ever known has exactly 1 certification from ASE, and that is for engine performance(yes that is the tune up one). he can fix any tranny, engine, suspension, a/c and anything else you can think of on a car.
all the info about syncros being these fragile little gems that must be protected comes from school books, which i am sure you studied in learning to be a mechanic, the other thing that you hafta remeber when you reead that stuff is that they are writing that book to make very car last 1,000,000miles, and if yer going to the track that ain't your goal in life.
that prolly isn't what you want to hear, but if you get into racing and hot rodding cars it is something you will learn.

later
tim

------------------
91 Camaro RS-LO3,Auto
New Times Coming Soon!
My MAFB.ORG Home Page
DSI Racing Home Page
Old 09-27-2001, 05:44 PM

Yes i know like I told everyone else certification doesn't mean jack unless you need it to get a job, second of all I am not saying I don't beat my car when racing because I do, it's just that the person starting this post seemed like he needed advice on how shift because he may not be experienced with a manual. So to a beginer maybe trying to beat the hell out of his car right away is not a good idea.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
Just my 2¢ (that's about all the money I have right now anyway ). You both (NJ & Cody) are correct in one aspect (different aspects though).

Cody is right that the harder on the trans components you are, that faster it's gonna fly apart. How much simpler can that be said?

However, overall I have to agree with NJ that if you ain't at the strip to do WHATEVER it takes the beat your own best time, or some else's, then INFLATE YOUR TIRES AND GO HOME!!!!!!!!

What's the point of being there if your gonna baby the frickin' car? Hell, you should all know that the first risk you are taking is that your insurace WILL NOT fix your car if you hit the wall, etc. That, by far, is the biggest expense that you are going to face. If you've already gotten over that hurtle (i.e. risk), then fixin' a $600+ trans should be the least of your worries.

I had my 94 Z28 at the local strip (back when I had one), pulled too hard coming outta 3rd, and yanked it back into second while power shifting. The engine screamed to 8000+ RPM. I thought I was pushing it home. I got lucky that it was OK. Or at least it still ran. Do you think I stopped running. HELL NO!!!!! I figured if I was there doing **** like that, and if something breaks, OH WELL!!!! Shame on me. If I didn't want anything to break, then I shouldn't be there!!!

If you bash it, then bag it and buy another.
AJ
Old 10-02-2001, 01:45 AM
Supreme Member

8000 RPMS?
I now shift at that :-)

just went back to the track today and tried to powershift and ok I admit I did notice a little improve but my tranny is dead as it is.
the only reason I would not do it all the time is cause it is my daily driver and untill I can figure out how to get a T56 to fit in my car or get the tranny out of the turbo mod I will let off the gas when shifting. and be a little easier. dam.n stock tranny