TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Project- Bored TBIs on dual quad manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Project- Bored TBIs on dual quad manifold

New toys!

I still need to finish up the Offenhauser thread, but I'll be coming back to detail this dual quad setup and have lots of photos of how it came to be.

For now, just a pic of the finshed project, recently shipped off to it's owner in Canada.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:23 AM

Re: Project- Bored TBIs on dual quad manifold

OK, here's the story from the beginning:

A fellow found me by reading a thread I did on converting Crossfire TBs to use a single IAC motor. He was planning to put two TBs on an in-line dual quad manifold and needed to get rid of one of the IACs.
As we talked about the project, it got interesting to me and we decided I would help out with some TB mounting plates. One thing led to another.
The objective was to put these:

on this:

The owner send me the manifold and as soon as received it and stared at it for a while, it occurred to me that the best placement of the single throttle plate of the 4 banger TB would be here:

So I took some measurments and because of interference btween the manifold and TB bolts, I could not quite get where I wanted, but within about 1/4" was good enough:

Now to make the adapter for the other TB with the same relative location:

Next post . . mount TBs and fab linkage.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:25 AM

Looking at possible linkage options. This is just nasty. Dropped this idea in a hurry:

I'll get back to that later . . moving on to the TB mounting we think we're cruising along nicely.
Oops, find a new problem distibutor clearance:

No way, Jose. OK, spin it 180 and try again. Better, but still might be a problem. Communicated this to owner in Canada:

Hmmm throttle brackets?:

Got the scoop on the dizzy and . . well . . if we want to have a distibutor CAP, we have an isue here:

Solution:

OK so far so good. We've got the TBs situated and have started thinking about the fuel setup a little bit. Time for a couple beers:

Next post . . linkage . . should be a pice of cake . . right?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.10s

The work so far looks awesome. What hp range are you expecting with BBC injectors?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:05 AM

The pair of bored TBs are touch over 900CFM, and the manifold is single plane and friggin' huge.

The HP would depend on the motor, of course, but you have the capacity to go over 500 HP with 900 CFM I would think.

Last edited by simpson36; 08-02-2008 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Cause I can't type worth a hoot
Old 08-02-2008, 05:11 AM

Linkage for this project turned out to be quite a challenge. The owner had already done a beautiful job modding two Crossfire rear TB arms for the linkage so I used those.

The tie bar had to be on the right side because of the orientation of the TBs and the throttle had to pull from the left side because of the cable routing. That meant the shaft had to be longer on the cable side to mount an arm on it.

I considered adding an extension to one of the stock shafts, but decided it would not be reliable enough. I like everything bullet proof, so it looked like I'd have to make an entire new shaft.

Start by cutting a length of 3/8" dia steel rod and prepping the end to receieve the arm:

Next, remove the arm from the original shaft, put it on the new shaft and peen the end over . . to match the original shaft. Note the original pull stud has already been ground off at this point:

Now we need an arm for the throttle cable and trans TV cable on the other side of the shaft . . . Hmmmm . . well, sometimes you just gotta have some bling:

OK, actually it was not just a matter of bling. Modding a stock late model TB arm would have been as much work and would have looked pretty mangled up by the time I got it to fit and clear the manifold.

Throttle shafts of course have throttle plates, so there's a little more work to do. Note that I had to also cut the original shaft for the new bigger plates and then knurl the original shaft to bring the diameter up to .375" for the ball bearings:

The completed new shaft:

Can't attach a tie bar to a throttle stud, so the stud ends were grund off, and drilled and tapped for a new threaded studs to mount the little stainless steel rod ends. Cute little buggers:

In order to balance this setup, the two rod ends are opposite thread . . like a turnbuckle. Balance is achieved by turning the hex tie bar. Here's the completed setup:

Once the TBs were moved apart, there was room for both IAC motors, but by the time we got to that conversation, the owner had impaled himself on the idea of a single IAC, and wanted to keep that mod in the project.
That's a very interesting mod . . . up next . . .
Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 AM

I made a separte thread out of this one so detour over here:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...ml#post3845829

I'm not going to cover the injector pod build and mods here because I have a tech article on that.

So . . next up . . fuel system
Old 04-29-2015, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Any updates?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS T-Top
Engine: 5.0 Tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

After almost 7 years I'm doubting it. But it was looking pretty good, kinda dissapointed to read to the end and then see how long it's been since last post.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Considering he last logged on 6-5-12......................