TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Low Profile Air Intake on TBI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Profile Air Intake on TBI?

I知 looking for a dual air filter low profile air intake instead of an open element air filter? I have access to all tools needed and can custom make one too from elbows and pipes if possible. Is there after market set ups for the style I知 looking for on a TBI or is this not possible to due to how a TBI sucks air?

Stock:
https://goo.gl/images/H6ZeiR

The look I want/Low Profile:
https://goo.gl/images/6H9Rw6
Old 05-13-2018, 06:33 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Low Profile Air Intake on TBI?

My 2-cents. If you are after the show car look, yes, the second link is the way to go.

If you are after performance with some decent looks. Nothing wrong with the 1st pic, open element.

For the best intermediate between the two. Look for a late 80's early 90's Caddy intake. It has nearly the same TBI hat along with some intake ducting.

RBob.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4

heres some Ideas

Old 05-13-2018, 07:03 PM

Old 05-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

You could also run a factory L69 dual snorkel set-up. I have one I am trying to sell if you are interested.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:48 PM

Whats your price on that?
Old 05-14-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
My 2-cents. If you are after the show car look, yes, the second link is the way to go.

If you are after performance with some decent looks. Nothing wrong with the 1st pic, open element.

For the best intermediate between the two. Look for a late 80's early 90's Caddy intake. It has nearly the same TBI hat along with some intake ducting.

RBob.
That痴 why I知 talking about custom making one big, I got a cowl hood coming soon. I have the shop required too. I work on tractor trailers and dump trucks on the daily. That痴 why I知 asking is it possible and okay to do this? Like an open element filter isn稚 a necessary need for TBI? I致e made aluminum steps and have plated frames etc. I知 half decent at fabricating.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Also I have a 5.7 Swirl Port Heads/880 Block in my RS, So how big do you think I値l have to be? My whole thing is instead of the open element under the hood sucking hot air from the engine heat. Custom plumb my own double air intake more towards a more cool area via in the grille area etc

Im not trying to argue anyone and their opinion I just want reasoning and has any one done this? Thanks!

Last edited by RS880; 05-14-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Correct
Old 05-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

Some pics of the dual snorkle per request.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone

Some pics of the dual snorkle per request.
Very nice just not what I知 looking for thanks
Old 05-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Every "carb hat" I've seen (and I have not seen them all) looks like an aerodynamic disaster. Too small, too short. The stamped-steel ones have the flange at the carb folded the wrong way, so there's a big ridge where the air would enter the air horn of the carb. They appear to promote turbulence. A dyno would tell that tale.

The nice thing about the OEM air cleaner base is that some thought has been given to smoothing the air-flow across it. It's not unusual for an engine to gain a little power simply by tossing an air cleaner base onto the carb/throttle body rather than having it go "naked".

Not wanting an "open element" air cleaner is wise. Nobody who cares about actual performance has used one of those since the world figured-out that ambient air is better for power than hot air. Lots of folks use 'em 'cause they're simple, cheap, and "stylish", though.

Last edited by Schurkey; 05-15-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
Every "carb hat" I've seen (and I have not seen them all) looks like an aerodynamic disaster. Too small, too short. The stamped-steel ones have the flange at the carb folded the wrong way, so there's a big ridge where the air would enter the air horn of the carb. They appear to promote turbulence. A dyno would tell that tale.

The nice thing about the OEM air cleaner base is that some thought has been given to smoothing the air-flow across it. It's not unusual for an engine to gain a little power simply by tossing an air cleaner base onto the carb/throttle body rather than having it go "naked".

Not wanting an "open element" air cleaner is wise. Nobody who cares about actual performance has used one of those since the world figured-out that ambient air is better for power than hot air. Lots of folks use 'em 'cause they're simple, cheap, and "stylish", though.
Therefore my idea of an enclosed box over the TBI with two snorkels with air filters running from the grille to it would work? Like 2-3 inch pipe on each side with a box around the size of an normal air cleaner would infact work?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RS880
Therefore my idea of an enclosed box over the TBI with two snorkels with air filters running from the grille to it would work? Like 2-3 inch pipe on each side with a box around the size of an normal air cleaner would infact work?
1. You need a curved base similar to a typical air-cleaner base. This functions as a (extremely short) velocity stack. It smooths air flow.
2. You need to diffuse the incoming air so it can enter the air horn with minimum turbulence. A typical air filter works great for this. Large diameter and tall is preferable...if there's room.
3. The top of the box needs to be tall enough to not restrict airflow as it turns 90 degrees (usually more) into the air horn. On some vehicles, it needs to be tall enough to contain the reversion/fuel fog above the carb.

A carb "hat" would have different design parameters, but lack of turbulence and therefore smooth air flow would be chief among them--and I don't see that in the aftermarket.

In short, the OEM-style air cleaner with ducting from a high-pressure, ambient temperature air source, is about as good as it gets while still retaining reasonable hood clearance. Two snorkels, or one large one is fine. Pull and plug the hose on the heated-air-intake sensor in the summer, so the engine isn't pulling air from the heat stove around the exhaust manifold. Reconnect hose in fall, winter, and spring to reduce carb icing and improve fuel economy in cool weather.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

This post is from a current thread on a Pontiac forum I participate in. I'm jealous. The air intake is ambient, but it's not a particularly high-pressure area (middle of hood.)

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...7&postcount=19

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...2&d=1526390210
Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: Th700r4

Did you see Holley just came out with a TBI for the 305 and 350 motors I'm looking at one for my camaro and Firebird it would be interesting to see what they did differently
Old 05-16-2018, 07:18 AM

1. You need a curved base similar to a typical air-cleaner base. This functions as a (extremely short) velocity stack. It smooths air flow.
2. You need to diffuse the incoming air so it can enter the air horn with minimum turbulence. A typical air filter works great for this. Large diameter and tall is preferable...if there's room.
3. The top of the box needs to be tall enough to not restrict airflow as it turns 90 degrees (usually more) into the air horn. On some vehicles, it needs to be tall enough to contain the reversion/fuel fog above the carb.

A carb "hat" would have different design parameters, but lack of turbulence and therefore smooth air flow would be chief among them--and I don't see that in the aftermarket.

In short, the OEM-style air cleaner with ducting from a high-pressure, ambient temperature air source, is about as good as it gets while still retaining reasonable hood clearance. Two snorkels, or one large one is fine. Pull and plug the hose on the heated-air-intake sensor in the summer, so the engine isn't pulling air from the heat stove around the exhaust manifold. Reconnect hose in fall, winter, and spring to reduce carb icing and improve fuel economy in cool weather.
not carbureted bro....
Old 05-16-2018, 07:21 AM

This post is from a current thread on a Pontiac forum I participate in. I'm jealous. The air intake is ambient, but it's not a particularly high-pressure area (middle of hood.)

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...7&postcount=19

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...2&d=1526390210
That is absolutely stunning, but I do not have vents in my hood . I知 going to bookmark that maybe for a later date
Old 05-16-2018, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Josh52784
Did you see Holley just came out with a TBI for the 305 and 350 motors I'm looking at one for my camaro and Firebird it would be interesting to see what they did differently
Im not talking about a TBI system, I知 talking about the air cleaner on top of the TBI
Old 05-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RS880

not carbureted bro....
Yes, I get that. Throttle Body can be interchanged with "carb" in my post, "carb" takes fewer letters and for the purposes of an air cleaner/ducting that sits on top, is functionally identical. Either way, the air has to turn and drop into a centrally-mounted air inlet valve that also supplies fuel.