TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

older 350 installed in 95 gmc c1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
older 350 installed in 95 gmc c1500

I bought this 1995 gm serria c1500 sle with a 350 in it that is not right for the truck. By which I mean it's painted the chevy red/orange color. And according to the block number it's a 1970's block casting. which mean that the cylinder head are the older bolt pattern. And the balancer is from the same period as well. I am having timing issues galore. My question is what o i need to do to get the motor to run right with the stock TBI system? I'll be putting on a Edlebrock Torquer 2 intake with a TBI adapter plate to take care of Vaccum issues it has. Will I have to install the 1995 balancer in order to set the timing correctly? And is there anything else that needs to be done to get the older engine to work right in the truck? I really can't afford to get another motor. I got o work ith what I have. Also i don't even know what cam it has in it as well. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:32 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: older 350 installed in 95 gmc c1500

I wouldn't start swapping dampers around unless you know what to look for. There are at least two different styles which require the correct timing cover to go with it.

Since a stock TBI engine runs swirl port heads. There won't be enough spark advance (SA) for a non-swirl port head. Try setting the base timing to 6° - 8° BTDC. See how it is power wise with no knock.

May even be able to run 10° BTDC.

RBob.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: older 350 installed in 95 gmc c1500

Originally Posted by jman2030
I am having timing issues galore.
Does the damper match the timing pointer? Does the mark on the damper line up with "0" when #1 is at TDC?

My question is what o i need to do to get the motor to run right with the stock TBI system? I'll be putting on a Edlebrock Torquer 2 intake with a TBI adapter plate to take care of Vaccum issues it has.
How stock can it be with an incorrect intake manifold, and probably no EGR?

WHAT "vacuum issues" does it have?

Will I have to install the 1995 balancer in order to set the timing correctly? And is there anything else that needs to be done to get the older engine to work right in the truck? I really can't afford to get another motor. I got o work ith what I have. Also i don't even know what cam it has in it as well. Any help will be appreciated.
TBI computers are not known for being friendly to non-stock camshafts. What is your idle vacuum now?

Is this engine currently using the TBI system from an LO5? Has a knock sensor? Has EGR? Does it set codes? Does it run right?

The damper and timing pointer you use will probably relate to the accessory drive system on the engine. Still have the stock serpentine accessory drive with the reverse-rotation water pump and fan?