Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP: Need valve covers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
HELP: Need valve covers...

I have smoke coming from my engine compartment from the rear passenger-side of the engine that smells like oil, I've been told by a few people that maybe I should replace the valve covers. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what I need though, seems like all the ones I've found are for pre-86 and such. I need them for my 91 Formula with a 305 TPI.

Also, what is involved in changing these? Just unbolt and bolt the new ones on? Is there gonna be lots of stuff that'll need removed b/c it's in the way?
Old 09-23-2002, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Corvette
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
if its centerbolt it will be easy 4 bolts per side and only problem i have encountered is the air tobes that lead down to the cat etc on the passenger side. im not sure if you have that or not. but its just a matter of wiggling it around.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:02 PM

Check the source of that leak real close. Jack it up and see if you can trace where it is coming from. Those center bolt valve covers with the rubber gaskets (if that's what you have) seal pretty darn good. See if maybe your bolts on top of the vavle covers have just come loose.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by jimmy_mac
Check the source of that leak real close. Jack it up and see if you can trace where it is coming from. Those center bolt valve covers with the rubber gaskets (if that's what you have) seal pretty darn good. See if maybe your bolts on top of the vavle covers have just come loose.
Will do (once I get home, at work right now). You think maybe it might just need tightened?

I've tried looking from the top but had trouble locating an exact source of the leak.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:53 PM

It may just be loose. When the engine is not so hot run your finger along the gasket surface between the valve cover and the head towards the rear where you think the leak is. If it is bad enough to be dripping on the exhaust manifolds and burning you should be able to get fresh oil on your finger.

With the pre-86 style valve covers it was very easy to bend the flanges when tightened to much and cause leaks. Yours should not have that problem so much but you still don't want to over tighten. If you put your torx bit or whatever it takes to tighten the bolts on and can turn it easily with you hand and no ratchet then they are probably to loose.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:38 PM
Supreme Member

Hmm, well how do I know when it's tight enough? I may think it's too loose and then tighten it, only to find out that I tightened it too much and screwed it up...
Old 09-23-2002, 01:55 PM

Well, if you want to be exact use the torque spec. I have it in my manual (spelling) at home. I won't be there for another 6 hours. I'm sure it's pretty small like 5 to 7 ft lbs or so.

I have the pre-86 style and use a 10 inch extension instead of a ratchet to tighten by hand. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to get a seal since the oil is just sitting on top of the heads and draining back into the motor. Put your socket on the bolt and see if it is loose. If you put a socket on it and can easily turn it, then it was probably to loose. Tighten it till its snug then give it a half turn or so if you don't have a torque wrench.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:40 AM
Supreme Member

Will do. Thanx
Old 09-24-2002, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
You probably don't need new valve covers, only the gaskets. Personally I wouldn't replace the VCs themselves if I could help it, it's just extra expense and the possibility of unforeseen hassles.

There will be a bunch of wires and hoses and brackets in the way, but nothing major. Replace the PCV valve while you're there, and any pieces of rubber or plastic vacuum line that are deteriorated.

I'd spend alot more time and effort gettting everything cleaned up so that it seals as well as possible, and going over every vacuum line and connection looking for leaks or cracks or brittle stuff that's just about to fall apart, than I would worrying about the torque spec. Use nothing larger than a ¼" ratchet, preferably use a hand spinner (like a screwdriver with a socket on the end of it), if you use that, as tight as you can possibly get it is probably just about 8 ft-lbs which is about right. Use gorilla snot on the gaskets (3M 8001 or 8008 or equivalent), not silicone.