Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car wont start, electrical seems fine but starter wont turn.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wont start, electrical seems fine but starter wont turn.

Okay, after freeing a piece of brass from my rotating assembly and getting all my belts lined up, I am ready to start the car. I turn the key, and nothing happens. The interior lights work, the headlights, and the lights on the dash come up. BUt no clicking or anything, doesnt sound like its moving at all. Any ideas? I changed batteries (now my camaro doesnt run either, because its got no battery), to no help. I did not touch any other electrical wires but the ones on the alternator and the battery. I just removed the A/C and all that, maybe I disturbed something there?
Its almost like its not in park, but the car is in park. Its jacked up, Im gonna lower it and try it then, maybe the tranny is confused
Old 01-09-2003, 11:18 AM

I have had the same problem, but I sent the car into get fixed. They found out that it is the nuetral safety switch. I was suprised because I thought that it would have been the starter or the solenoid. Is your car a 5-speed or automatic? You should beable to fix it all on your own. Check to see if that is what it is, then get back on and tell me what happened.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:47 AM

Where is the switch located, my car is an automatic. I dont see how that couldve happened, I didnt touch any of the tranny stuff, unless its located near the TV cable, thats about all that was disturbed. Im clueless here, and want to take the car out before I go back to college.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:52 PM

Okay i earned the dumbass award for the day, it was a loose ground. Right out in the open. But anyways, I just started it, and the idle is racing. Any ideas? Like 2500 rpm. Im thinking one of thos vacuum lines I plugged is killing it, or its the weak return spring on it.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Probably one of those vacuum lines that's not plugged in
Old 01-09-2003, 02:43 PM

It was the spring holding it open, i attached it in the wrong place and it was worn. Now I have a new one on, but it will still hang up, then drop back, like the linkage is sticking. The motor smoked a lot when I started it, but is most likely blowing off oil. The stuck linkage will give me some entertainment tonite. I have all the right lines in use, except the PCV and the AIR. The AIR is gone and I broke a fitting for the PCV, so I need to get one. I also have a rocker to adjust. But its idling fine until ill step on it to kick it down, it will either kick down or pick up an extra 500 rpm when it sticks.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:29 PM

Ive really earned the award, I just found out I put the throttle cable on the wrong thing on the carb. It runs beautifully now. Oh well, get to drive it tommorow as soon as my driveway melts.