Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

POR-15 Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2000, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
POR-15 Questions...

...okay, I'm rather ticked off that Restomotive Labs didn't answer my email, and it's been 2 weeks. If they weren't the "best", I sure wouldn't buy from them...

Anyway, I plan to paint the axle with this stuff before I put it on the car. I'm trying to keep this axle install as "cheap" as possible, it almost looks like I should've just spent $200 for gears and $200 for an install! Oh well, at least I'm doing it myself, hey? So can someone help me out? I'll be buying their "Super Starter Kit" for $14...

1. They sell a regular black, and a semi-gloss. I'm a little confused because half of their website says "Topcoat POR-15 because it's UV-light-sensitive." Why would they sell semi-gloss black then? Do I -need- to topcoat it, considering it's an axle, and won't see sunlight that often?

2. Should I topcoat it anyway with a semi-gloss black and a clear-coat to make the axle "easier" to clean? Will grease/road tar ruin the POR-15?

3. I used engine cleaner already on the axle, and it's got some pretty dirty areas. I think I'll use brake cleaner on those areas. The POR-15 site says not to use solvent-based cleaners before applying POR-15. Can I use the brake cleaner, THEN use their Marine Cleaner? Or should I just hope that this Marine Cleaner will get rid of all this crap on the axle?

I think that's it.. if anyone can help me iwth these I'd appreciate it! I'm pretty sure I'm putting too much thought into this stuff and making it seem more difficult than it is.

Thanks!

-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.v6fbody.com mailbags
Old 07-31-2000, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TomP:
...okay, I'm rather ticked off that Restomotive Labs didn't answer my email, and it's been 2 weeks. If they weren't the "best", I sure wouldn't buy from them...

Anyway, I plan to paint the axle with this stuff before I put it on the car. I'm trying to keep this axle install as "cheap" as possible, it almost looks like I should've just spent $200 for gears and $200 for an install! Oh well, at least I'm doing it myself, hey? So can someone help me out? I'll be buying their "Super Starter Kit" for $14...

1. They sell a regular black, and a semi-gloss. I'm a little confused because half of their website says "Topcoat POR-15 because it's UV-light-sensitive." Why would they sell semi-gloss black then? Do I -need- to topcoat it, considering it's an axle, and won't see sunlight that often?

2. Should I topcoat it anyway with a semi-gloss black and a clear-coat to make the axle "easier" to clean? Will grease/road tar ruin the POR-15?

3. I used engine cleaner already on the axle, and it's got some pretty dirty areas. I think I'll use brake cleaner on those areas. The POR-15 site says not to use solvent-based cleaners before applying POR-15. Can I use the brake cleaner, THEN use their Marine Cleaner? Or should I just hope that this Marine Cleaner will get rid of all this crap on the axle?

I think that's it.. if anyone can help me iwth these I'd appreciate it! I'm pretty sure I'm putting too much thought into this stuff and making it seem more difficult than it is.

Thanks!

A bunch of my Jeeping friends use POR 15 on their frames and axles and they tell me the only time you need to top coat it is if you are using it on something that sees regular sunlight. Frames and axles are *usually* covered by the body of the vehicle and do not see regular sunlight. POR 15 does not really break down in sunlight, but it does fade the color and most people are not happy with what it fades to.

The stuff is hammer tough like they advertise assuming you prepare the surface well. Their cleaner should be sufficient, but obviously, the cleaner you can get the surface, the better the results.

I've seen people paint it on right over nasty rust covered metal, dirt, grime, grease, etc. and it still holds up well, but if you are looking to make this a show car, you will want to clean it up the best you can. Hit it with a wire wheel if you can. Don't get it all shiny, but at least knock off what falls off.

------------------
90 Wrangler with Firebird Formula TPI 305, Chevy granny low 4 speed tranny and Scout Dana44 axles.
Old 08-01-2000, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Great, thanks! That helped alot- I've already wire brushed the axle, and like you said I'm trying to go for the best finish possible. I figure while the thing's in my backyard I might as well do a good job on it! And that's great about the color changing... that cleared up the mystery of "why topcoat".

Thanks again! I had a feeling I was making this job out to be more "exact" than it is..