Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine Gasket installation techniques to net Zero Leaks??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: WCT5
Engine Gasket installation techniques to net Zero Leaks??

Hey all.

I'm going to build my first engine soon hopefully. though I've done lots of mechanic work (pro race mechanic) but I've always worked for teams that had the engine builder at the track (so I never even messed with engines). now I'm going to do some an engine for my '83 and wonder what works for you folks as far as assembling an engine that doesn't leak all over. I REALLY want to finally own a car that doesn't leak oil! so what has worked for you. I don't want theories and hearsay. I want proven results anyone use silicone or other sealants? anyone do everything dry? let me know please

thanks
Clem
Old 03-26-2001, 07:54 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i'm no expert but i pretend to be one on here. this is what i do. make sure each surface is clean, i use brake cleaner to remove oil and other contaminates. use a wire brush in a die grinder to remove gasket material. for all pan gaskets, except valve covers, i use permatex high tack to hold the gasket to the machined surface, use thin bead of permatex ultracopper, or ultra gray o nthe pans. hammer out any dimples around the bolt holes in the pans. ultracopper on the last bearing cap and offset the ends of the main seals (on 2 piece blocks) and use ultra copper in the main seal. #3 permatex avaitaion form a gasket on the metal part of the front crank seal, or any other similar seal. ultra copper on around the water passages in the intake to head and k&w spray copper sealer on the intake and head gaskets. if the engine is on a stand i use a punch and make as many ***** marks on the china walls and the intake and use high tack to hold it in place. if the engine is in the car i use permatex ultra gray instead of the intake rubber seals. use locktite PST on all bolts the go into a water jacket.

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
Old 03-26-2001, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
After you've done what ede says, and you really want to ensure the motor never leaks...don't fire it up
Old 03-27-2001, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: WCT5
When I build hewland gearboxes for the TransAm cars, the theory is...If you don't want it to leak, don't put oil in it

I know you can get a small block to run without leaking, so who's got tips?

thanks
Clem