Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

pop pop pop

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 S-10:(
pop pop pop

Sometimes it is a backfire, sometimes it is a pop pop pop. The new engine runs great. But when I let off the gas, I get the pops, or the backfire. I guess it is dependant on how much gas I was giving it. I know If I rest my foot on the gas, just above idle, while it is in gear, It will pop until I let off. Then everything is normal. So, what do you guys think. Here's what is different from before
Headers
no cat
10*adv. timing
305 inj & chip (old but working)
I think that is about it. Like I said, it runs like a dream. Just makes the noise when you let off of it. Thanks
FBird

Last edited by 88fbird; 05-31-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Have you changed the cam or valve timing for any reason? Are you getting valve sealing problems, or valve sticking (can happen on a fresh build)?
Old 05-31-2004, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
What did you replace the cat with? What is your fuel pressure? That 10º is the base timing you set correct? Are running really rich? What type of gas are you running?

It sounds superficially that you are running a tad rich or your timing is retarded. Post up a bit more info and hopefully it'll clear it up for someone to answer.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:30 AM

The cam is the stock LB9/L98 cam. I installed it when I built the engine. It has about 1500 miles on it now. I replaced the cat with a 3" piece of pipe. Yes the base timing is 10*. I'm not sure what the fuel pressure is, but I didn't change the settings from the 305. I basically just removed the intake and fuel rails and reinstalled them on the other engine. The problem is there no matter what fuel I run. 87, 89, or 91 octane. Hope this is enough.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Is that 10º total or base? It really sounds like your timing is retarded or you're running really rich and combustion is still happening in your exhaust (pop,pop,pop). How are you setting your timing? Are you throwing any codes?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by 88fbird
Yes the base timing is 10*.
I unhooked the brown/white wire. Set the timing on the balancer to one notch above the -8 on the cover. Someone told me it was because of my freeflowing exhaust. I agree with you. I think it is running rich. I'm getting horrible gas mialage. I don't know if that is because of the small injectors though. I don't know. Oh yeah, I'm not throwing any codes either.
Thanks again
Old 06-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

K, this'll be a fun one. Check your timing after the EST is connected again. Also check to see if you are running in closed or open loop when it happens, but I'm assuming it happenes all the time.
Popping does happen now and again, but not like you described. You may want to increase the timing a tad more, the timing tabs have been known to be off now and again, BUT, before you do that, pull your plugs and take a look.

After re-reading your original post I'm thinking you may be missing on one cylinder or have one injector leaking or some such artificial enrichment. Of the times when I've had the popping, it was always on deceleration, either rapid, or by using the engine for assistance, so I was provoking a rich condition. The only other time was for lack of tune and that would only happen when taking any load off the engine, not putting it under load.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:13 PM

You are right about this being fun. To start with, I don't have a timing light. I borrowed one when I set up the engine. So, It might take me a couple days before I can check it with the EST hooked up. I don't know how to tell if I'm running in closed or open loop. I have heard of it before, but I haven't really messed with my computer stuff much. It pops most of the time when I change gears. If I let off the gass all the way! One big pop. I know what you mean about the timing tabs and balancer marks being known to move around. That is possible. I didn't change the balancer when I built the engine. I don't think it is missing any cylinders, because it runs really good. It pulls real hard, and doesn't sound wierd doing it. It may be the tuning thing though.
I cleaned the IAC. Set the TPS. And set the timing over and over until it was all right. I don't know. Sometimes it surges at idle. Not much, but it does. Well, let me know what you think.
FBird
Old 06-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I have been known in the past to set my timing by ear. Never very accurate, but it should get you in the ballpark.

You may want to do it this way prior to setting the light on it to see if the tab is off. Also get the total timing if you can when you get the light. If you get a chance try a compression check as well to make sure your valves are seating correctly.

IMO fuel is getting into the exhaust so that's where I'd be concentrating.

Some other info I scabbed off some guy wearing a phallic symbol style metal can on his head. Gave off some evil vibes too. EEEEvviilll....

Originally posted by Vader
Actually, the jumper (or any resistance below 500 ohms) can be inserted after the engine is running to invoke the Diagnostic / Field Service Mode. Attempting to start an engine while in Diagnostic Mode (diagnostic request terminal 'B' grounded, engine off) can damage the firmware (not always does, but can).

Diagnostic mode will will display malfunctions stored in nonvolatile memory and perform other functions as described below when the diagnostic display mode is enabled. This mode requires that the diagnostic request line be grounded and that the engine not be running (see EST).

Solenoid Energization
When the diagnostic display mode is enabled and the battery voltage is less than 16.9V, the diagnostic control logic will energize the AIR control, AIR select, TCC, EGR solenoid, A/C and EVAP canister purge solenoids. In addition, the idle air control motor will be continuously pulsed to retract while in diagnostic display mode.

The solenoid energization function is capable of operating without a calibration PROM installed in the ECM. The purpose of this function is to allow a means to force the ECM to energize its outputs for troubleshooting purposes, and to provide a means for exercising the ECM output devices during burn-in at the factory.

Malfunction Code Suppression
While the diagnostic display mode is enabled, the diagnostic control logic will force the diagnostic control counter to zero. This action has the effect of preventing new malfunctions from being logged into nonvolatile memory while the diagnostic display mode is enabled.

Malfunction Code Display
Each malfunction condition is associated with a two digit code number. When the diagnostic display mode is enabled, the diagnostic control logic will flash the check engine lamp in a logical sequence to depict the two digit code associated with each malfunction stored in nonvolatile memory.

Each code displayed will consist of a number of flashes representing the first digit followed by a short pause, followed by a number of flashes representing the second digit, followed by a long pause indicating the end of the code.

Each stored code is displayed three times before proceeding to the next code. After all malfunction codes stored in nonvolatile memory have been thus displayed, the entire flashing sequence is repeated.

Field Service Mode will display some basic ECM information via the SES lamp. If the ECM is in Open-Loop mode, the SES light will flash rapidly, about 2½ times per second. If it's in Closed-Loop mode, it will flash about once per second. When in Closed Loop mode, flashing less than once per second indicates the ECM is enriching the mixture above the 128 count base line. Flashing more than once per second indicates the ECM is leaning the mixture below the 128 base line.

Inserting a 3.9K ohm resistance in the diagnostic request pin to ground will invoke Factory Test Mode or Backup Fuel and Spark Mode ("Limp Home Mode"), which forces the ECM to use predetermined fuel calculations in the ECM PROM instead of the learned inputs in active RAM. Backup fuel is usually around 12:1 or richer from the factory. Tthe ECM will turn on the check engine lamp in this mode.

A 10K ohm resistance in the diagnostic terminal to ground will invoke the factory End of Line Test Mode, or ALDL Mode. When the assembly line diagnostic mode is detected, the fuel logic will bypass the closed loop time criteria. The fuel logic will enter closed loop mode as soon as the coolant temperature and oxygen sensor thresholds are met. There will be no reset of the integrator function. The IAC will use the calibration memory table value corresponding to a battery voltage of 8 volts, bypass certain criteria for RPM closed loop enable, and bypass coolant restrictions for enabling IAC kick-down mode. The EST system will disable the Burst Knock logic and bypass the RPM and coolant temperature criteria for ESC retard enable. That will force the engine into a condition where spark knock should occur if the throttle is suddenly opened (Burst Knock). Additionally, if ALDL mode has been enabled longer than a PROM timer value, the timer will be removed from the spark advance calculation. The TCC logic will allow the TCC to be enabled sooner and without regard to the CTS input.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Oh yea, field service mode is what you want to look at to learn how to check the computer's mode.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:34 PM

Well, I'll see what I can find out. If I ever get any extra time. Too much time at work and not enough time at home! As soon as I come up with something, I'll let you know. Thanks Devil.
FBird
Old 06-27-2004, 04:44 PM

I think I had the valves set too tight. I loosened them all up 1/2 turn, and it runs alot better now. It still pops a little, but It idles and runs better. The pop now isn't anything like it used to be. I messed with the timing some, but that didn't really help much. That is why I tried the valve lash. Thanks for the help.
FBird
Old 08-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
im having the same problem with mine. I was told at the dyno that my valvesmight be stuck open or something since the engine seemed to be shaking more then normal at 1500rpms. how did you reset your lash. engine running or not?
Old 08-10-2004, 05:12 AM

I set it with the engine off. I tried to do it with it running, but it didn't work for me. It still isn't perfect, but it is alot better. I'm going to change my wires and plugs when I get a chance. I'm still using straight plug wires. I just bent them away from the headers. Hopefully it is just a bad connection. I'll see when I finally get a chance to work on it.
FBird
Old 08-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by 88fbird
I replaced the cat with a 3" piece of pipe.
In my experiences, when there's no cat there you sometimes get a crackly sound that sounds sorta like a pop?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:42 PM

On my way home tonight, It started missing some around 2200RPM. I thought it was another burnt wire, so, I changed them. The car seemed to idle better, but the drive was horrible. Around 2200-2300RPM, it just dies. When it sputters to about 2500-2600RPM it doesn't sputter, but it isn't as strong as normal. I can't mess with it right now, but tomorrow I'm going to check the plugs. That is the only place I can think of to start right now. I'm really starting to get frusterated here. I've put close to 4000 miles on this engine now and can't seem to get it right.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:17 AM

Car: 1987 Trans-Am
Engine: LG4
setting lifter preload

All this info is assuming you have a non roller hyd lifter cam.

with that said, this is how i have set rockers for the last 15-20 yrs with very few 2nd adjustments needed.

1st disable your coil/ign so that turning the engine over will not start the car.

after pulling the valve covers and getting setup bump the engine over (with key if you have help, or with a 5/8 socket on bottom crank pulley) until you see the number 1 intake valve close (give it a little extra to be sure its off the cam lobe, this will be the compression stroke) at that point grab the pushrod with 2 fingers and rotate it (might need a rag for grip) if it doesnt rotate back off the rocker nut until it just starts to rotate with your fingers, (if it already rotates then loosen it 1/2 turn) next ease the nut back down slowly and stop as soon the you cant rotate the pushrod (make sure your socket isnt pushing down rocker and giving you false indications) then simply give the nut 1/2 a turn clockwise (tighten) and your done with that valve ( you can go 1/2 to 1 full turn and be in spec, but i always go the 1/2 turn only and its always been enough and gives you enough preload that it wont click, big cam guys may want to push to 3/4 turn for the extra lift but i would'nt go all the way to 1 full turn just because i hate to chance going to tight).

now do the same to the number 1 exhaust valve since your on compression stroke it will already be in position to set.

continue down that bank of the engine setting each cylinder to compression stroke, setting preload, and then do same for other bank.

replace valve covers, re-enable coil/ign, start engine, have fun.

As a side note, if you rotate the engine and check each pushrod and they all rotate (even slightly) when you when you check them your for sure not too tight, and if they are not clicking then not too loose. I can get further into detail on these instructions if needed, just ask.

Last edited by yugi-master; 08-12-2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:08 AM

I believe all 86 and up have Roller cams. I know my 88 does. Thanks anyway
Old 08-12-2004, 05:13 AM

being the factory rollers are still hydraulic i would say the process is same, but since i dont mess with rollers much i dont want to say it will work when i am unsure.. i would say plenty of members here set thier valves the way i do and could tell you if the process is the same.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
with a 5/8 socket on bottom crank pulley
Whatever you do, DO NOT follow this "advice". This is a sure way to a stripped crank or a bolt broken off in it. We see this "advice" given here all the time, and then usually have to counsel the victim on how to repair a damaged crank.

They make tools for that. One is a socket that slips over the crank snout, and another is a crow's-foot looking thing that bolts to the pulley bolts and accepts a square drive. You can also use a strap wrench or a chain wrench around the perimeter of the balancer. If you're going to turn the crank by hand, get one of these tools, as it will save you money in the long run.... and the long run isn't really very long.

There is no difference in valve adjustment between a roller and non-roller, or between roller rockers and ball-fulcrum rockers, or any of that. If the lifters are hydraulic, then they'll all adjust the same way.

It's a whole lot more reliable, if you don't have the understanding of what the lifter is doing as you adjust it and the experience to be able to identify it, to adjust them with the engine running. Use any of the "on the stand" methods to adjust them; but then once it's running, do it that way.

Just back each one off until it begins to clatter, and slowly re-tighten it until it just stops. Go all the way around the engine doing just exactly that, NO PRELOAD, until you get all 16 done. Then shut the engine off, and add your desired lifter preload to all 16.... ½ turn is good. Then re-install the valve covers and so on. That way, you avoid the problem where the engine runs terrible for a while after preloading each one, and you end up having to run it without valve covers for longer then you really need to, and the mess just gets bigger.

The amount of preload has nothing to do with how "big" the cam is. Above all, one does not increase it in proportion to lift. All it does, is to locate the plunger in the lifter body farther down; such that it can take up more slack as things wear out. But, it also increases the chances that if there is any slack in the valve train at high RPMs, such that spring tension on the lifters is momentarily lost at some point in their operation due to valve "toss" or whatever, the lifters can "pump up" to take up that additional slack, and then they won't allow the valves to close when they're supposed to. Most experienced people with "big" cams leave their preload set as low as possible; 1/8 to ¼ turn being typical.

All of this about the various tuning issues, seems to be just that, tuning. Tackle it one thing at a time, and move on to the next, don't get frustrated; this is normal with a new engine if it's modified from stock. Set your timing to the stock spec and then leave it alone. It isn't the problem. That is, twiddling the distributor won't solve whatever problems you have, so once it's right, leave it alone. Set the valve lash with the engine running and then leave it alone. Make sure you have a good set of plugs and wires installed, and that the wires are off of the headers and secure.

If you have the original 305 injectors, you'll never be able to get it to run right; they simply don't flow enough fuel. They're sized to feed a smaller motor, which requires less fuel. In fact, your original question about popping in the exhaust on deceleration, is probably caused by an excessively lean mixture, which is directly caused by the wrong injectors. Get the right injectors; 22 lbs/hr, or very slightly larger, but no larger than 24 lbs/hr.

Then get a more suitable chip, since as is well known, the fuel and spark curves in a 305 chip aren't right for a 350; a stock 350 chip, and a few blank PROMs and a PROM-burning setup, would be the best place to start. You're going to have driveability issues as long as that mismatched and inappropriate chip is in there.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:53 PM

well i got RB woke up, I guess the 5/8 to the crank wasnt the best advice for a novice, i too have seen them strip from that as well, but i have turned them for years with no problems that way so i mentioned it. (the tools they make for this are great but assume that you have the crank pulley off in most cases) BTW every aftermarket repair manual maker will tell you in their books to turn the crank when needed with a 5/8 on the crank bolt so it is a tried and true way to turn the engine when fully assembled and no power to the starter to bump it over. (as a side note i didnt mention in my instructions, i pull all my spark plugs to make the engine spin easier by hand, and can make a huge difference in the stress on your crank bolt)

as far as setting your rockers with the engine running, this works fine but since we are worried about breaking crank bolts, lets also worry about an oil fire (just as likely for a novice) because i have seen my share of them while rockers were adjusted engine running.

either procedure will get your rockers set proper for you which is the end goal of the process,(doing them engine running is 90% foolproof since you can hear whats happening as you go, i dont like the mess and have done them the way i listed for years with no problems) if you ask 50 mechanics about rocker settings you will prob get 15-20 different ways of setting them.

personally i set preload the same for all cam sizes, i have been told a little more preload for larger cams, and we was just told the opposite by RB, who is right? i think it goes to the tech's preference with both of us being in "spec" just more or less total preload.

All of this about the various tuning issues, seems to be just that, tuning. Tackle it one thing at a time, and move on to the next, don't get frustrated; this is normal with a new engine if it's modified from stock. Set your timing to the stock spec and then leave it alone. It isn't the problem. That is, twiddling the distributor won't solve whatever problems you have, so once it's right, leave it alone.
thats some of the best advice your gonna get towards tuning, once you set something move on and be patient.

Last edited by yugi-master; 08-12-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
For keeping the oil mess to a minimum, take a pair of stock valve covers, and either hole-saw 8 holes in them or cut a long slot in them right above the rocker nuts, and put those on for the adjustment process.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:35 PM

Well, thanks for the info. However, I don't think my valve lash setting procedures are the problem. I appreciate all the help there, but it isn't really helping. I agree with RB. I know my setup isn't ideal, but it is what I have right now. I just wanted to know if my problem was caused by the injectors/chip or something else. I'm already planning on changing them. I just want to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not. Thanks again,
FBird
Old 08-12-2004, 05:33 PM

Car: 92 Rally
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Originally posted by RB83L69 If you have the original 305 injectors, you'll never be able to get it to run right[/B]
BINGO!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:09 PM

I have to fix the current problem before I can keep going on the backfire thing. It just started. It idles fine, and goes fine, but when you floor it, it falls on it's face. I've checked the plugs and dist. cap. Changed the wires, and fuel filter. Once I get this problem fixed, I'll get back to the original problem. I know the injectors aren't causing this. I already have close to 4000 miles on this combo! Thanks,
FBird
Old 08-13-2004, 10:11 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 350
Transmission: Bowtie Overdrives 700R4
When I had my 305 in my car the engine ran fine for a long time until i floored it one day. At around 5500 rpm i heard a loud pop so I let out. From then on, after 3000rpm, I would hear this terrible popping noise. I tried everything like you did but nothing worked. My Dad's engine builder said I had wiped the cam. Sure enough, I pulled the cam and one of the exhaust lobes was almost perfectly round! Don't know if this is your problem but it is something to look into.

My suggestion would be to pull the valve covers, disconnect the fuel pump and ignition, crank the engine and watch how far your rockers move. I know it is a lot but if you are that desparate.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:06 PM

It doesn't really pop more than normal after 3000RPM, it just stops going. If I'm going pretty good, it will surge, then start to pull some. It isn't as strong as normal though.