Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I PASSED EMISSIONS!!! I cant believe it...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS Convertible
Engine: 96 LT1
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9-Bolt
I PASSED EMISSIONS!!! I cant believe it...

Hey guys,
I am sure that you have read one of my recent posts about my camaro failing emissions in NJ. Well, I finally broke down and took it to a shop to have them see what they could do. Well, $125 later... They got it to pass. All they did was retard the timing till the engine was running so bad that it almost stalled. Then the put it on the dyno. OH well... Atleast it passed!!
Old 11-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It really makes you wonder sometimes, doesn't it? Exactly how helpful are these "emissions" tests? Imagine if you actually left the timing retarded and drove it around like that. With all the wasted gas exactly how is that helpful to the environment?
Old 11-22-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi and 350 on stand
Transmission: 4spd auto
Of course emissions tests are pointless. Like almost every kind of test out there, it's testing a very narrow band of a broad band problem. Is CO2 and NO2 the only harmful emissions from a car, no. Is it easy to get around the test, yes. Is the test actually helping the environment, overall I would say yes, but it's like saying having a lot of crack is bad, but a little is ok. The only way to make cars environmentally friendly (emissions wise) is to not have ANY toxic emissions. These tests are almost purely political. That being said, until they find a safe alternative to the internal combustion engine that has the same or better performance, finding ways around the emissions test is #1 priority.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Re: I PASSED EMISSIONS!!! I cant believe it...

Originally posted by JerseyMark
Hey guys,
I am sure that you have read one of my recent posts about my camaro failing emissions in NJ. Well, I finally broke down and took it to a shop to have them see what they could do. Well, $125 later... They got it to pass. All they did was retard the timing till the engine was running so bad that it almost stalled. Then the put it on the dyno. OH well... Atleast it passed!!
What did it fail? NOx? If so they should have checked teh egr.

There is also a programming mistake that shuts the smog pump of prematurely. Hudreds of thousands or millions of dollars bore by consumers to pay for these horrible pumps in the tbi cars and they shut off at 2000 rpm. All because someone forgot to change a memory address when they cut and pasted the code in. By the looks of it they probably let the interns do some of the programming.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: ZZ4 Crate Engine w/Hot Cam
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 with Transgo and MW 3
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Eaton Posi
If you think emiisions tests are to save the environment your wrong. They are enstated to secure the future jobs of those working in the federal government. Period.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:46 PM
GOY

Car: Formula, a big red brick.
Engine: A Ford 351 Windsor... ?
Transmission: Dodge 727
Re: Re: I PASSED EMISSIONS!!! I cant believe it...

Originally posted by dimented24x7
What did it fail? NOx? If so they should have checked teh egr.

There is also a programming mistake that shuts the smog pump of prematurely. Hudreds of thousands or millions of dollars bore by consumers to pay for these horrible pumps in the tbi cars and they shut off at 2000 rpm. All because someone forgot to change a memory address when they cut and pasted the code in. By the looks of it they probably let the interns do some of the programming.
Are you sure that is a "Mistake?" Let's reason this out - TBI uses a wet manifold. Too keep fuel in the air mixture, the air has to be moving at a high velocity, otherwise it falls out of the intake suspension. This can cause some intake charges to be lean, while others are grossly rich. In order to compensate for those rich charges that may result in unburnt fuel - pump some fresh air in there to "Fool" the emissions test and dilute the unburnt fuel at low engine speeds. After about 2000 RPM, the air is moving fast enough that this is not a problem..... I know both of my TBI vehicles tend to chug at times, or run rough under load, under 2000 RPM, but after about 2500 it's all gravey.

Sounds reasonable to me... but it's just an opinoin :lala:
Old 11-25-2004, 04:53 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Originally posted by Damon
It really makes you wonder sometimes, doesn't it? Exactly how helpful are these "emissions" tests? Imagine if you actually left the timing retarded and drove it around like that. With all the wasted gas exactly how is that helpful to the environment?
If the car ran properly he wouldn't have had to do that. My 500hp motor passed emissions, and ran a 119mph 1/4 too.

-- Joe
Old 11-26-2004, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Re: Re: I PASSED EMISSIONS!!! I cant believe it...

Originally posted by GOY
Are you sure that is a "Mistake?" Let's reason this out - TBI uses a wet manifold. Too keep fuel in the air mixture, the air has to be moving at a high velocity, otherwise it falls out of the intake suspension. This can cause some intake charges to be lean, while others are grossly rich. In order to compensate for those rich charges that may result in unburnt fuel - pump some fresh air in there to "Fool" the emissions test and dilute the unburnt fuel at low engine speeds. After about 2000 RPM, the air is moving fast enough that this is not a problem..... I know both of my TBI vehicles tend to chug at times, or run rough under load, under 2000 RPM, but after about 2500 it's all gravey.

Sounds reasonable to me... but it's just an opinoin :lala:
Its a mistake. In the 7747 the code is exactly the same, and its set to shut off at 4000 rpm. The bypass is also mediated by engine load but that stuff seems to be fine.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

I went back and looked. They added alot of stuff in but that address used for the max speed is the same. Of course, it means something totally different in the car ecms. In the trucks its set to stay on to 3600 rpm. In the cars its only set to stay on to 2050 rpm. If I had a stick and I had to go for emmisions testing, Id be really worried of the smog pump shutting off prematurely. I could be intentional, but that would allow for increased emmisions when cruising around in a lower gear. If I had to do inpection and I didnt have an auto, Id definatly increase that to 4000 rpm to help with emmisions. Maybe in a stick car they do have it set to a higher threshold but it would still seem stupid to cut the air off to the cat when the cars driving in closed loop.

Beleive it or not that smog pump really works. My friend went for emmisions with it and his car was blowing super clean with the pump working and a good set of cats.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:08 PM
GOY

Car: Formula, a big red brick.
Engine: A Ford 351 Windsor... ?
Transmission: Dodge 727
Re: Re: Re: Re: I PASSED EMISSIONS!!! I cant believe it...

Originally posted by dimented24x7
Its a mistake. In the 7747 the code is exactly the same, and its set to shut off at 4000 rpm. The bypass is also mediated by engine load but that stuff seems to be fine.
7747 - that's that truck computer right?

Hummm.....

Well, since you are definately as opinionated as you want to be, I guess you are just right all the time :hail:
Old 11-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Supreme Member

Im not saying Im right all the time. As a matter of fact, Im wrong alot. Im just giving my take on what Ive seen so far. Im also not trying to come across as arrogent and opinionated. Ok, maybe I can be opinionated, but I generally try not to be arrogent. Sorry if I gave that impression. Hard to tell what someones mood and attitude is through text.

For all I know the one hac that I have for the truck ecm could be all wrong (it was one of the first) and the rpms could be the same as those that are stored in both my 8063 and the later ecms. In which case Id be full of ****. Although It does seem counterintuitive to turn the pump off prematurely. Maybe they intended to do that to prevent overheating of the cat. Who knows. My answer to that whole question is just to toss that pile of junk in the garabage and try and dial the tune in to get it to run cleaner.

As far as that whole smog cheating thing. Wasnt there a story of ford doing somethign crazy awhile back? I remember hearing a story that since the drivers side door is (or maybe was) open during the emmisions test, they set the computer up to use different perameters to pass emmisions when the doorswitch indicates that the door is open.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi and 350 on stand
Transmission: 4spd auto
that's a really good idea. Actually i've wanted to see someone code up a chip that has economy mode and performance mode operated via some switch the driver utilizes. That way you can daily drive the car around in economy mode and switch it over to perfromance at the flick of a button. Some commercial chip makers do this. Having a special emissions mode would be great.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:13 PM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: 700r4
We jersey people just have to be glad we switched to 2 year inspections. Thus... I have no emissions I love the smell of unburnt hydrocarbons in the morning... its the smell of victory