Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Important question to consider.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Important question to consider.

I'm 16.
This is my first car.
I plan to goto college.
I don't have a lot of money.
I quit my job last week and am unemployed.

Heres the question:
Should I put the time, money, and effort into making my 92 Firebird really badass, or should i keep it mechanically sound and save up for a 4th gen Trans Am (and college)?

I have $715 in my account. I keep at least $300 in there for emergencies (such as deductable or stolen crap etc). So I've got $400 to work with. After all is said and done, when i worked at my job, I made only $100 spending money a month. I made $400-500 net. Then I put $150 of it in my account. Another $50 goes to insurance. $100 in gas easilly. That leaves me with around $100, 150 if im lucky. My new job (if i get it) I should be making mucho bucks, over the summer full time.

So should I keep my car nice and shiny, and running smooth (considering it is currently mechanically sound, doesn't burn oil, and has no major problems) and save up for a 4th Gen T/A and college?

I still want to keep my 92 Firebird. I want it forever. Whatever happens to her I will fix (eventually). I don't trust her in anyone else's hands!

------------------
1992 Pontiac Firebird (stock)
- 5.0L V8 TBI / Automatic Trans / Every option, excluding leather
- Killer car audio system:
  • Aiwa CDC-MP3 head unit
  • Rockford Fosgate 360a2 amp
  • pair of 12" MTX Thunder 5000s in a custom box
  • Pioneer 3-way 6x9s, soon to add more more more!
Old 06-03-2001, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't spend money on your car, save it for college. Do as I say not as I do. Im 18, going to college next year. I wish I could have saved more money and just paid for college a little easier, messing with your car isn't really all that important, but yeah it makes you feel good. Everything I have done to my car I have come out smiling, bruised, burned, cut etc.. but it was all fun.

I guess it also depends on how you are paying for college and how much mucho bucks is. If your parents are paying for college, set a new limit to your bank account, like 1000 or 2000 or whatever, and spend the rest. Thats what I did this year.
Old 06-03-2001, 07:13 PM
Banned

My dad plans to pay for some college. But I want to do it myself, just to show him I can. I don't knwo why, just something weird about me. But I mean, I'm going to be a senior next year. :P

Currently I'm all show and no go. My tiny 305 TBI isn't fast enough for me. But then again my dad says, its just transportation. Its more than that to me.

------------------
1992 Pontiac Firebird (stock)
- 5.0L V8 TBI / Automatic Trans / Every option, excluding leather
- Killer car audio system:
  • Aiwa CDC-MP3 head unit
  • Rockford Fosgate 360a2 amp
  • pair of 12" MTX Thunder 5000s in a custom box
  • Pioneer 3-way 6x9s, soon to add more more more!
Old 06-03-2001, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 TTA #1240
Engine: 3.8 SFI turbo
Transmission: 2004r
Axle/Gears: 3.27
you could always join the national guard(hahaha) and get them to pay for your school and spend all your money on your baby.i did many yers in the service it's a pita but worth it make your sacrifices now to better your way of life later

------------------
87 trans am 350 L98 aluminum heads,LT4 hot cam,slp runners,headers,y-pipe,edelbrock base,hi flo cat,air foil,ported plenum,t-5 tranny w/centerforce clutch and a 3.27 9bolt,ads strip chip,relocated iat sensor,hollowed maf

14.10@97mph w/2.01 60'
Old 06-03-2001, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
I'd suggest you go to the TBI board, look/ask for "free mods" or cheap mods, drive the car as is.

$400.00 won't get ya too far with the car or College

If you have more time than money, invest in some tools to do some port work and polish work on the heads, look for an inexpensive used intake, used headers, etc...and do things one at a time.
Old 06-03-2001, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Don't bother with any mods. save he money for college/fun at college. It will be one of the most important things you do in your life and you'll wish you had the 400 bucks when you get there, trust me. ever hear of Spring Break? you gotta go but you gotta study. Working is hard while at/in college and not as important as free time and having a little cash on the side. you'll have all the money to make all the mods you want in a few years. Save up for now and enjoy youth. take a girl that you ordinarily wouldn't ask out to the movies or something. You can have fun and be responsible with very little moeny and your parents will apreciate that in you. tell them of your thoughts/decisions, too. they'll like that.
Old 06-04-2001, 04:48 AM

Don't burn money on your car if you're going to college, period.

I am graduating next spring, and cars were a major obstruction in what is really important to me. Luckily, I had a job that made more than the average joe. BUT, I would have had that much more saved if I didn't give a sh*t and didn't crave torque.

It's cool that I picked up a '78 T/A 400/4speed for under a grand and in the end made it do 13 flat, but I coulda travelled or something or...?

chicks dont dig that your car lays rubber into 4th gear.

I have owned 3 2nd gens, 3 3rd gens, all T/A's, and now I think I'm done. =)

At least I thought I was, I just picked up a B&M Ripper shifter today. Sigh.

Later,
Hype.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Just keep the car you have running and looking good. Not many kids going to college even have a car, let alone a V-8 powered sports car....use it to your advantage if you know what I mean. After college, when the money starts to roll in (hopefully) then you can revisit the idea.

------------------
92 Camaro RS, LO3, 5-spd, T-tops

Performance:
K&N Open Air Filter, Edelbrock performer TBI intake, Fastchip Prom, Timing +4 degrees, Centerforce clutch, Xact 8mm wires, SLP 1 3/4" Headers (coated), Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Z28 Grille w/aftmkt fog lamps, MacEwen white-face guages
Electronics:
Alpine 8030 Alarm System, Valentine One Radar Detector (How did I ever drive without one?), Pioneer DEH 7450 Head Unit w/6-pack CD changer, Pioneer DEQ 7600 Sound Processor, 2 Kenwood KAC-846 Amps powering 2 12" Pro Red subs, 2 Pioneer 6x9 and 2 MTX 4x6 speakers.
NEXT UP: TBI mods, 3.42 gears w/Torsen posi
Old 06-04-2001, 12:38 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pukka:
Just keep the car you have running and looking good. Not many kids going to college even have a car, let alone a V-8 powered sports car....use it to your advantage if you know what I mean. After college, when the money starts to roll in (hopefully) then you can revisit the idea.
</font>
I wish I would have said that - I couldn't agree more. Make it reliable for the next several years, do the cheap/free stuff if you wish, and spend your extra time learing.

Be patient, and you'll have all the toys you can handle if your priorities are straight...

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Let the bodies hit the floor!"
Adobe Acrobat Reader