Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage 15-35%

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700 R4
My experience with it was exactly the same as safemode.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
I've been adding a small quantity of acetone to my 1995 Jeep Wrangler since early March. It has a four-cylinder engine, a five-speed transmission, five inches of lift, and 33" diameter tires. It's as slow as molasses and has the aerodynamic properties of a brick. Average fuel economy before I started the acetone was 14.1 mpg.

I started the inital quantity at two ounces of acetone per ten gallons of gasoline. Over the first few weeks of usage, I weaned this down to half and I'm now using two ounces of acetone for a complete fill (twenty gallon tank). This seems to provide the best results. It costs about $0.38 in acetone at each fill-up.

My mileage has been a steady 17.0 mpg since I started. Like night and day between usage in terms of the numbers. There aren't any "psychological" gains in this example because the Jeep is literally floored wherever I go -- it's just that underpowered! Three miles per gallon may not sound like much, but that's a major increase on a vehicle of this sort.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet of the results, calculating cost per mile, annual savings, etc. Unfortunately, my annual savings are only one-tenth of what they would have been -- that's how much gas prices have been increasing! Still, I could only imagine how much money I'd have lost without using the acetone.

As for long-term effects, I've read (and mostly believe) that the ratio is so small that it won't damage anything. It's not like you're soaking the fuel system in pure acetone.

I'd say that I'm a believer, however unreasonable it may sound. I've put a little bit in the tank of my Camaro but I haven't been able to drive it lately (registration issues, stupid local governments). FWIW.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:50 PM
GOY

Car: Formula, a big red brick.
Engine: A Ford 351 Windsor... ?
Transmission: Dodge 727
That's impressive!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 357
Transmission: TH-350C
Axle/Gears: 3.43
So is their some sort of equilibrium in the gas:acetone ratios or the more the merrier??

Maybe ill have to try this out sometime. i get really crappy gas mileage i havent really kept track but im around 10-12km/L and @ $1.15ca per litre ($3.63us per gallon) i could use all the help i can especially with a blower being on the horizon.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 84z28350
So is their some sort of equilibrium in the gas:acetone ratios or the more the merrier??
Yes, there is a point of diminishing returns. If you add too much, they say, the gas mileage will start to decrease. Even if you reach this point in testing, I doubt that you'll do any harm to the fuel system -- you'd have to really be clueless about what you're doing to add enough to cause serious harm.

I started out with a ratio of "0.2 ounces acetone to one gallon gasoline." I think it's easier to go by fuel quantities of ten, so that's really two ounces per ten gallons. I gradually reduced the ratio until the mileage gain remained consistent -- in this case, less really is more. You might even see an increase in mileage as you use less acetone.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying this stuff will or will not work for you. I only tried it because the scientific logic behind the theory seemed to make sense, even with my limited knowledge (and interest) in chemistry.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:41 PM
GOY

So your saying something in the area of 1.5 or 1 ounce per 10 gallons would be a good "General thumb" type rule?

What kind of acetone product are you using? Is it pure acetone, or 97% etc? Thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM

Car: camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi and 350 on stand
Transmission: 4spd auto
You always use 100% acetone, without additives, such as the kind you get in paint departments.

And if you've gone through the entire thread. acetone seems to at best, compensate for mistuning of the ignition system. So a little work at determining if your car is igniting all it's fuel and the injectors aren't gummed up and fuel filter has been recently replaced etc etc, should give you all of the results of using acetone, but actually last more than a couple months. The majority of people who've used acetone for long periods of time have seen a decline in effect... which is likely to be the computer compensating for the different O2 readings.

enough of the BS though... use it, you wont hurt your car. It'll work for a while and then nothing.... it's not going to save you a ton of money. Even at 3 bucks, gasoline is still the cheapest fuel. The only way you'll be saving any money is moving to electric or hydrogen and hoping for a cheap and efficient way to recharge either. Or hope that the oil cartels all get taken over by responsible organizations that operate for the benefit of the public.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

GOY, I'm just saying that one ounce per ten gallons offered the best performance with my vehicle -- it will probably differ in other configurations. I'd start with double that and go from there.

safemode, I agree with the fuel system cleaning that acetone may do. However, I still don't think that the extra mileage I've been seeing is due to a mere cleaning.

The Jeep always got between 13 and 14 mpg since I've owned it. This was through winter, summer, top up, top down, etc. I frequently install replacement tune-up parts. Plugs usually get changed twice per year, along with the cap, wires, and rotor. Fuel filter is a once-a-year thing, and it seems like I'm always installing a new air filter. When you four-wheel these things, you just gotta maintain them or they'll run like garbage .

Speaking of which, both the injectors and fuel filter were serviced shortly before I started using the acetone. The injectors I removed and cleaned individually with pressurized flow, and the filter was replaced after the supply line broke (that was a fun time -- glad it happened in my driveway!).

Anyway, I'm not trying to say one thing or another, just providing details for anyone who reads this thread .

Agreed, OPEC is far from a "responsible organization." I once heard the argument that Kuwait is "nothing more than a family-owned oil company with a flag."
Old 09-02-2005, 11:55 PM
GOY

I just started using it in my TBI vehicle - the difference in low speed power is.... well I won't be slacking off my acetone supplementation any time soon, lets put it that way.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
maybe I should try this is my honda. started at 32mpg when I first bought it. since then did some tune-up stuff changed the tranny fluid to 10w-30 mobil 1 and insted of using the recomended regular fuel using premium instead gas mileage went up to around 36-38mpg. maybe if I use this stuff I might be able to finally hit 40-45mpg.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:41 PM
GOY

You're kidding.... That's got to be a joke?

If it did help, would you take the warper off the acetone bottle, apply some adhesive to the back of it and stick it on your car someplace? Sorry - I love rotary engines, but you are really going to try this on a 38 MPG Honda? I'd think the mazda would have more to gain by it. (Serious)
Old 09-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by GOY
You're kidding.... That's got to be a joke?

If it did help, would you take the warper off the acetone bottle, apply some adhesive to the back of it and stick it on your car someplace?

huh?? why would I be kidding and what are you talking about taking the warper off the acetone bottle?

Sorry - I love rotary engines, but you are really going to try this on a 38 MPG Honda? I'd think the mazda would have more to gain by it. (Serious)
the mazda isn't working right now. it's not even at my house and I'm too lazy to try to fix it at the moment being I don't want to take the whole intake manifold off and fix/replace fuel rails, lines, pulsation damper nor can I afford it right now.

and with the honda I had a goal to get it to 40-45mpg since I bought it. hopefully this would push me over
Old 09-05-2005, 02:23 AM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by safemode
Even at 3 bucks, gasoline is still the cheapest fuel...
Now that "gasoline" is $3.50/gallon, and ethanol is $1.80/gallon, which is cheaper?

I'm getting E-85 for $1.849, and it's only that high because 15% of it is gasoline. 10% of the "gasoline" around here is ethanol, so it should be less costly.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:31 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 w/G92
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
I wonder what the price of ethanol or E85 would be without the pricing subsidies?

Cheaper at the pump, yes; but does it actually cost less in the big picture?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Vader
Now that "gasoline" is $3.50/gallon, and ethanol is $1.80/gallon, which is cheaper?

I'm getting E-85 for $1.849, and it's only that high because 15% of it is gasoline. 10% of the "gasoline" around here is ethanol, so it should be less costly.
but how much more ethanal do you need to run to get the A/F ratio right?

granted I might be mistaken but I thought it was damn near 7:1 at which point ethanal cost the equiv to 3.60 a gallon compared to gas

but again I might be mistaken and instead thinking of another fuel
Old 09-05-2005, 05:10 PM
GOY

I just don't like Honda's... and by "warper" I meant "Wraper" so you could use it as a sticker... maybe next to a "Type-R" or "ZEX" stickers or something along those lines. If the only thing you will use your Honda for is fuel efficient travel, I think the Toyota Echo would have been the better choice; but once again - that's biased by my down a dirty distaste for that sliver H.

I will however state that I don't see you getting much gain from this. Small space = small amounts of fuel... just how well do you need "Next to nothing" to mix to begin with? TBI v8 applications I see fairing far better due to the larger amount of fuel, and the wet flow manifold. The Rotary I saw doing better as well, because of the design of the induction of fuel into the airflow with a 13B - which I assume is what you are using. Because it was hard to time the fuel injector pulse with the airflow, the rotary's were hard to get past the green peace people... as well as the little OBDII Misfire detection problem that plagued the last year supra's as well.... but that' another topic.

Either way, I'm proud to say I'll never own a Honda unless it's a 929.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by GOY
I just don't like Honda's... and by "warper" I meant "Wraper" so you could use it as a sticker... maybe next to a "Type-R" or "ZEX" stickers or something along those lines. If the only thing you will use your Honda for is fuel efficient travel, I think the Toyota Echo would have been the better choice; but once again - that's biased by my down a dirty distaste for that sliver H.
it's ok that your biased against honda but don't lump me up into the r<x>icer crowd.
yes there are stickers on my car. they where on the car well before I bought it though and they are not stickers of companys but rather just plain ol' bumper stickers like "don't steal the government doesn't like competition" and so forth

a type R sticker? whats the point if you knew what I drove maybe you would see humor in that rather then disdain.
toyota echo? sure I wouldn't mind one would you like to give me the money though to purchase it since I'm sure my honda cost thousands less that that car would of.

also whats a wet flow manifold have to do with anything and why can't it apply to me with the honda?

I'm sure you don't enjoy it if ppl start saying where is the m<x>ullet to with the car right?

or did you get the trailer home with your car? if not maybe you should get the trailer home and to go with it why not get a m<x>ullet.

and btw if you wanna see the humor in the Type R sticker on my car look up EF1
and maybe you would understand why I didn't buy some toyota echo

Last edited by rx7speed; 09-05-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Supreme Member

well for the good ol laughs and curiosity I ended up breaking down and finally bought some of this accatone stuff and will be adding it to my tank of my car tomorrow.

just curious though I saw this xylen or something like that stuff.
isn't that the stuff that some people add to their cars to up the octane? if so how would that do for gas mileage with a little more timing added to the system?

and goy you might be right it might not help me out much but it doesn't cause any harm trying right?
still curious htough as to why your tbi system can't apply to my honda
Old 09-15-2005, 06:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Originally posted by ede
any more if you buy a gallon of it they think you're running a meth lab
lol How do you know so much about that stuff?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:50 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Originally posted by rx7speed
well for the good ol laughs and curiosity I ended up breaking down and finally bought some of this accatone stuff and will be adding it to my tank of my car tomorrow.
Are you serious? Wouldnt you want to find some kind of non metal part on your car that is in constant contact with gasoline, then soak it in acetone to see if put damages it? I would test in three different ways. Same part soaked in gas only, acetone only, and the gas and acetone mix.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by redbird_400
Are you serious? Wouldnt you want to find some kind of non metal part on your car that is in constant contact with gasoline, then soak it in acetone to see if put damages it? I would test in three different ways. Same part soaked in gas only, acetone only, and the gas and acetone mix.
might try that.
but then again only have lot of metal tubing then a little bit of fuel hose and then some aluminum at the end to worry about.

only thing I think would be damamged would be the fuel line which isn't that hard to fix

oh yeah and the fuel pump as well
forgot about that little bugger
Old 09-15-2005, 03:29 PM

Car: camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi and 350 on stand
Transmission: 4spd auto
acetone and mixtures with gasoline in the recommended quantities have already been through several tests such as those described in the thread and more strict ones. In all cases nothing in the majority of domestic cars is affected by acetone except gaskets. In extreme ratios or in pure acetone mixes, the gaskets swelled in size slightly.

Much more damaging to your fuel system is rust, rust caused by water being left in the fuel system due to the alcohol that's added to your fuel (almost everywhere now alcohol is added in various percentages to gasoline). Acetone actually reverses that negative effect of alcohol by bonding to the water, which prevents the water from oxidizing metals.

Worst case you can do with experimenting with acetone (using the recommended ratio) is waste your money. acetone and derived chemicals are used in fuel additives,cleaners, octane boosters that are sold all over. the plastic pieces in your fuel system aren't going to melt, acetone only dissolves a specific type of polymer.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

how would xylene work vs acetone?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 71 Nova
Engine: Superramed 383, Topline heads
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 8.2 posi 3.08
This is interesting. This is a material data sheet for a fuel injector cleaner.

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Port.../msds/0216.pdf