Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine is running now but......

Old 04-07-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Depends on the day!
Engine: the kind that runs on money
Transmission: One that holds up, I hope
Engine is running now but......

Well I finally got the GTA running but I am having a problem with a couple of things. I am hoping that someone can point me in the correct direction. To start with I bought the car with a locked up engine. The kid that had it ran through some deep water and bent a rod or two and the car sat for a while. Fast forward--> pulled the engine and put a rebuilt 350 in it. Used the same TPI system. Car is running but it is hard to start cold, takes many cranks and then runs rough until it warms up. Once warm it idles ok but searches some and when I give it gas it falls on its face then picks up and accelerates good. I took the IAC apart and cleaned it. There was alot of rust on it and I am guessing could be damaged from the water that the engine swallowed. I put a brand new EGR valve on it but it has the same EGR solenoid. Could the solenoid be bad? I have set the TPS and the IAC. There are no codes stored. I have new plugs and wires and the timing is set correctly. Thanks... Once I get it running good I will post my very first burn out with it.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Sounds ALOT like unmetered air entering the intake behind the MAF somehow...

How is the PCV system hooked up? Is there one hose to one valve cover from one of the 2 places on the TB, and another hose from the other place going over to the PCV valve?
Old 04-07-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Depends on the day!
Engine: the kind that runs on money
Transmission: One that holds up, I hope
The PCV hose runs from the TB on the right side to the valve cover on the right side. The other hose on the right side of the TB runs to the canister. The left side PCV hose runs to the left of the intake manifold.