Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

the curse has struck

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the curse has struck

well after owning my third gen for a year and a half, i've been fortunate enough not to have major problems that are a pain to diagnose (well, i did blow up the motor lol but at least i knew what the problem was) anyway, on my way home from work today i was cruisin on the higway and all the sudden my motor cut out instantly, then came back on by itself. this happened a few more times, somethimes it would just kick back on or sometimes i would have to crank it over to start it, but eventually it died and wouldn't start again, so i get it towed home.
i'm thinking its an ignition problem, since it was just cutting in and out, nice and clean (no sputtering or anything) the distributor is a year old, i'm just gonna replace it (work at a parts store, i have the power to 'defect' things hehehe) for simplicity and ease of fixing this. it'll come w/ a new module and all, and i will also replace the coil (like i've been meaning to do) if this doesnt fix my problem, what else would you suggest? btw it was just the motor losing power, everything else (a/c, radio etc) stayed on. it's a carbed motor w/ manual fuel pump and the gas filter is relatively new. thanks for any ideas....

------------------
85 Z28- 350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb and Edelbrock cat back, Summit headers and vette servo
-JVC, Eclipse, Pioneer, MTX, Phoenix Gold, Planet Audio
Old 08-15-2001, 08:16 PM

Sounds like your coil to me,loose wire etc.on it.
That was the problem with my Camaro that I used to own.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:25 PM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
What about fuel??
Ya say Carbed engine......
Could it be a clogged fuel filter??