Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

MAF sensor problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 350 TPI, With roller lifters
Transmission: 4 speed 700r4
MAF sensor problems!!!!

Hello and good day to you all. I have a 1988 GTA with a year old L98 motor, it has a new computer, fuel pump, injectors were replaced when the engine was rebilt, and it looks like all the wires are ok. Now the problem. I am on my fourth M.A.F sensor, and recently I put my fathers M.A.F in my car, from his camaro. My car ran good for about one month, and then it quits. I have a new M.A.F and I put it in today, and the car runs fine. So my question is. Is there something that can burn the sensor out?
Or is it something else.
The car will run for a while then I will shut it of and go into the store or somewhere, and when I go to leave the car will start for a second and then die, and I can not get it going again.
If you know anything about my problem please let me know.
Thanks
kevin
Old 06-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
If the MAF burnoff relay or circuit has failed, it could either leave the MAF filament powered fulltime and cause it to fail early, or it could never power up and cause it to get dirty enough not to work properly.

The relay should close immediately after engine shutoff for ~2sec or so, and apply 12 VDC to the circuit. If you look at the MAF, you'll see the sensor filament glow during this time.

So...go disconnect your MAF from the air duct, run the engine for a brief time, then shut it off and watch the filament. It should glow for ~2sec. If it glows constantly, or not at all, start troubleshooting the MAF burnoff circuit and relay.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:47 AM

maf

I was wondering how long I have to run the car before the m.a.f will burn its self off. And if the it is not burning it off were is the relay located to replace it. THANK YOU so much for all your help, and hope to hear from you soon.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Not sure exactly how long the engine has to run before the ECM triggers a burnoff when you shut it down...try it out and report back.

The burnoff relay is on the firewall, drivers side, alongside the fuel pump relay, ESC module, and whatever that third relay does.

I sold my '88 Helms when I did the LS1 swap so I'm not much help on which one of the three relays you're after, but I know it's not the oddball one...that's the fuel pump.

The other two relays are same part and you can (if I recall right) just swap them to see if the problem follows the relay.

Last edited by kevinc; 06-30-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Re: maf

Originally posted by #32pontiac
I was wondering how long I have to run the car before the m.a.f will burn its self off. And if the it is not burning it off were is the relay located to replace it. THANK YOU so much for all your help, and hope to hear from you soon.
Depends, they will all resct a little differently. Below is Vader's car with the relays labled (similar to later years, it's a chicken, not a maro). Some f/p relays are the same as the MAF ones on some years, can't really recall which ones though. They only run ~$13.00 so it's no big deal to go grab one to swap out. Have you pulled any codes yet?
Attached Thumbnails MAF sensor problems!!!!-tarelays.jpg  
Old 07-01-2005, 11:30 PM

M.A.F

Thanks alot guys, the problem was the burn off relay, and it had a cut wire going to it (DAMN Mice)
It is guys like you that make this site so amazing to be apart off.
Thanks again too the both of you.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:53 PM

Car: 1985 silver metalic iroc
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 373 posi
Re: MAF sensor problems!!!!

just changed cam and lifters and the maf cant get car to run or idle properly. it dumps fuel and shuts off a little confused