Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Will these plugs fit my dizzy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Will these plugs fit my dizzy?

I've never bought universal plugs but I need them becuase the stock straight plug boots get burned up on my headers. Anyone use these Accel plugs?
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=KeywordSearch
Old 09-10-2005, 04:08 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
The description says they have "male / HEI ends", so they should plug into the distributor with no problem. The question is if they fit the locator ring that holds the wires together at the distributor.

I particularly like this claim:

"...Ignition wire performance that exceeds SAE specifications."

What specification? For resistance wires? For 1939 DeSotos? For trailer wiring? That's a pretty vague statement, but typical of advertising hype. I noticed no mention of resistance per foot, dielectric strength, ozone resistance, or anything that someone purchasing plug wires might be remotely interested in.

I'd find a set of angle boot Sorenson or Packard wires and forget about the hype. You probably won't get an Accel decal with them, though.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Hype? Its $30- the cheapest I found for black right angle spark plugs.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
That's probably a good price for what are acceptable quality secondary wires. I just always get a giggle from reading the advertising that apparently has to accompany even the most mundane parts and supplies when these "tuner" supplier places get their hands on them.

Evidently, they can't just sell a universal wire set without some spin. My point was that you could likely get the same (or better) wires at your local parts house for the same or better price, and not have to ship them from a warehouse in Mexico.

NHRA/NASCAR/SAE approved flat washers. These washers meet or exceed SAE specifications. These precision washers are stamped from solid extruded high-tensile steel wire, SPC tested, specially treated, then are cleaned, electopolished, and zinc dichromate plated to produce the finest washer in its price range. These versatile washers are approved for use with bolts, studs, AND nuts. Holes are precision punched to SAE specifications and to tolerances as low as 0.0100000"

Dude. It's a friggin' hardware store variety washer, made by the gazillions in China and India. 2¢ apiece anywhere but Jegs and Summit. It's all in the sales pitch.