Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Winter storage precautions and what to do in spring....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: Automatic Transmission
Not really sure where to put this thread but...

I was wondering how many people in here have to store their cars for the winter and what precautions do you take before storage and what do you do in the spring? (ie: tune-up, plug change, etc) Your imput would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there are many levels of care you can do so I will be extreme and let you choose what you feel like doing:

Change oil and filter: don't let used oil sit in the engine over the winter, acid will pit the bearings over time.

Change trans fluid and filter

Change rear end gear oil

Flush and refill coolant system

Fill up fuel tank and treat with Seafoam, stabil, startron or any stabilzer (Full tank is important because when temps change and there is space in the tank from not being full condensation forms on the walls and water and fuel don't mix)

Change spark plugs and spray fogging oil into each cylinder for corrosion protection

Balance and rotate tires

Clean car inside/out and wax

Charge battery weekly and fill up ONLY with distilled water

Inspect brakes, ignition, belts, hoses and all systems and repair now so when weather is nice you just start up and go.

Grease door, hood, trunk hinges

Grease all available zerks in front and rear chassis

I'm sure there is plenty more to do this is just a short list of how I do it, but I also come from the marine industry where you have to be this extreme.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:50 PM

Thanks.... I appreciate your imput.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:51 PM

Winter storage precautions and what to do in spring....

I was wondering how many people in here have to store their cars for the winter and what precautions do you take before storage and what do you do in the spring? (ie: tune-up, plug change, etc) Your imput would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: A Portly 85 Z28
Engine: 4.530 X 4.250 BBC
Transmission: under rated for this application
Axle/Gears: also under rated
put it on jack stands, tires will flat spot. change your oil BEFORE you store it, fill tank to the top so there is no room for condensation. be sure to store in a dry place. I always put a "stick up" or some sort of air freshener inside along with some moisture absorbent packs. let air out of slicks, release spring pressure on valve springs for HP engines/ cars
Old 01-14-2007, 11:57 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Perform a search. You'll find lots of threads with good information.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Yea, I remember someone asking this back in the fall.

I just fill up the gas tank to the gunnels, put fresh oil in it, and park it in my garage. Every month or so I fire it up and let it idle for 1/2 hr or so, then rev it around a bit, and drive it around the cul de sac in the snow, then put 'er back to bed.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:13 AM

The first thing I DIDN'T do was fill her up. My car has about 1/4 tank of gas. I didn't change the oil either. I felt it would be better to wait for spring. I did put some fuel stabilizer in the gas tank when it was full but I don't think I was permitted to have a full tank at the storage facility I am using. I also was waiting to change the gear oil as well figuring it would be better in the spring.

(Quote: ) TransAM Joe

Change oil and filter: don't let used oil sit in the engine over the winter, acid will pit the bearings over time.

Change trans fluid and filter

Change rear end gear oil

Flush and refill coolant system
(END Quote: )

What bearings are you referring too? and what is the side effect of not doing these things?

Your imput is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:37 AM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
My Z28 snoozes every year from October through May...I pull it in with a full tank, 1-2k mile, 6 month old Mobil 1 in the crankcase, throw some Stabil in the gas tank, close the door, and don't look at it for 6 months I guess you can put the car on jackstands, but if you have decent tires they will NOT flat spot. I've had this car for 7 years, and never once have the tires flat spotted. Even if they did, often I've heard of people driving the cars for a day or two, and the flat spots work their way out.

The RS has yet to even go off the road...its barely snowed or done anything in MA, so if the roads are dry and free of salt dust, out it comes for a January romp I've never NOT taken one of my Camaros off the road for the winter, but considering this one was going back on by April to do the paint job and interior anyway?? I guess it will stay on all year!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro, 1986 Trans AM
Engine: V6 2.8 multi-port and V8 5.0 FI
Transmission: 5-Speed and Automatic
Axle/Gears: no idea
with my car i always start it up and let it run for like an hr once a week during the winter. i'm not sure if this is needed but that's how my dad taught me to keep the car fresh.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 AM

I'm talking about main, cam, rod bearings, I have seen it before leaving used oil in the engine for months at a time with out the engine running over time, how long nobody nows for sure, will pit and cause the bearings to prematurely fail. Used oil has a tendency to collect condensation. I have rebuilt a handful of engines because this very fact spun, pitted rod bearings, so don't leave used oil in a sitting engine. Why, how hard is it to change now and then in the spring, just get in and go no messing around.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

where are the rod bearing and how hard are they to replace?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

the reason i asked because the car i'm putting away for this winter sat last winter with the previous owner. so i'd like to know how much i should be concenred about teh bearings and if they go bad or are bad how would i know. car runs greats. it has a fresh oil change radiator battery and satbil in a fresh full tank etc... so what should i look out for?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM

Letting old oil sit in the engine a few times will most likely not do any harm, it's repetative lack of regular oil changes combined with old oil sitting on the bearings that cause trouble, like I said, in the long run. Rod bearings are not a preventative replacement item and they are either perfect or bad. You would hear a serious metal on metal like a hammer hitting concrete if you spin a rod bearing because of the rod hitting the crank. They are actually two bearing shells in a half moon shape. One goes on the rod side and one on the rod cap side around the crank. I would not worry unless you hear a subtantial knock from the engine. You can not do anything about how the previous owner took care of the engine. All you can do from hear out is give it regular oil changes. How often depends on your driving style, climate and usage. My recommendation is if it's a weekend warrior I would do it every three months and right before you put it up for the winter. If a daily driver every three thousand miles.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Supreme Member

oh ok thanks, i have already done some tune up and maitenence to the car and unfortunately it has to sit outside. i have a weatherproof tarp over it and i'm letting it run once a week. stupid winter. not much of one in connecticut yet but the temps are getting worse.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by TransAM Joe
I'm talking about main, cam, rod bearings, I have seen it before leaving used oil in the engine for months at a time with out the engine running over time, how long nobody nows for sure, will pit and cause the bearings to prematurely fail. Used oil has a tendency to collect condensation. I have rebuilt a handful of engines because this very fact spun, pitted rod bearings, so don't leave used oil in a sitting engine. Why, how hard is it to change now and then in the spring, just get in and go no messing around.
Its not hard at all, its just a precaution I was unaware of. Thanks for letting me know. I will change them in the spring when I go and get her out of storage. Do you know how much the bearings will set me back in terms of price. In Canada those type of parts are sometimes cheaper in the winter for some reason, so I would pick them up now if they are cheaper.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 08:35 PM

depends on what bearings you need and the grade you select. For stock to mild modified stay with speed pro regular (not coated)(sealed power or maybe called federal mogul, really all the same brand family) I assume you are talking rod bearings since they are the only ones you can change with the engine in the car. Sealed power rod bearing set #2555cp go for about $30 at summit racing, not sure how much to ship to Canada. Would not change them unless you feel the engine is knocking real bad, not to be mistaken for valve train noise. Read my post a few back.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 PM