Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1986 Iroc Z28 camaro 305ho tpi emissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Iroc Z28 camaro 305ho tpi emissions

my father bought this car new when he was about 22 and after several years of storage he finally gave it to me i slid a new cam in yesterday (of course i skipped the details) if anyone knows camaros they know taking the 305 apart isnt fun .. although it may not be the most difficult thing in the world so far i have done everything all by my lonesome and btw im 16 i am fairly good with mechanics only because i have worked with my dad since i was a little tot at West Coast Cycle if anyone here knows that place you probably know me or my dad Bill. sorry for the run on this is my first post and i hope a few people will take a few mins to try and help me. OK now to state my issue im wondering about all the emissions systems i want them all gone (please dont lecture about emissions) i do not want any of it on my car in the future the car will be specifically for racing. on the intake of the fuel injected 305 there was some kind of smog pump or something i think the name for it is a egr pump? correct me if im wrong but i would like information regarding what i can put in its place and everything that can be taken out and what measures ill need to take if i do take everything i can out ....appreciate any help i get thanks a lot
Old 02-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10
Ok, I'm kinda drunk so I'm sure I'll leave a few things out. You want to get rid of your emissions equipment all togather. Here goes, Pull dist carb and intake. Replace with aftermarket intake, non computer controlled carb, and vaccum advance distributor of your choice. Remove exhaust manifolds, replace with aftermarket headers that have no A.I.R provisions or 02 bungs in em. Remove A.I.R. pump and reroute belt or use delete pulley if its a serp setup, if its v-belt.. hmm I don't remember how they look factory.. I'm drunk as I mentioned, probably eliminate that belt if the air pump is the only thing driven by it or use a shorter belt. There will be a tube running to the cat. conv. from the air pump, but that's an emission component and u want to get rid of em so from your headers back have a custom exhaust system welded up. Preferably 3inch to a muffler of your choice or a custom dual setup if you can afford it. Remove the bulb from the check engine like on your dash, or ******* it with some electrical tape over top. Last and final step: Smack your self for just making your car illegal, killing its resale value and costing yourself money along the way.
----------
But hey it's your car so have fun with it and do what you want! On a side note who knew that r3dn3ck was a curse word on these boards?

Last edited by 89RsPower!; 02-28-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-28-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Sikone, welcome to the 3rd gen family.

89RsPower!, drunk already? I'm tempted to delete your entire post for general priciples, and specifically for inaccurate information, but maybe I'll leave it so you can feel bad about it later.

Okay, Sikone, back to your car. First, it isn't officially "HO". That was reserved for the L69 engine, which was a 305 with a computer controlled carb, decent cam, decent exhaust. You have TPI (or so you said in the subject line), which had about the same cam and exhaust, and made about the same power, but it wasn't called "HO". A technicality, but important so there are no misunderstandings (like we already seem to have).

Now, what kind of racing do you plan on doing? Until that is established, there isn't much point to talk about modifications.

With regard to emissions specifically, you can eliminate the air injection reaction system (A.I.R., aka "smog pump"), and its associated tubing. You can remove the cat. After that, everything (except EGR - which doesn't get in the way of anything or hurt performance) is part of the TPI control system, so you can't eliminate any of it.

The best headers made for our cars which follow the stock routing have emissions (A.I.R.) provision, as well as the oxygen (O2) sensor, and the O2 sensor is part of the TPI control system. You'll probably hear someone pipe up about "long tube headers and true dual exhaust!", but as long as you have a 305, and for sure as long as you have TPI, they ain't necessary.

That about does it until you provide more details about your racing plans.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

yeah i have an 86 iroc 5.0 tpi 2 and the only emissions stuff i got on my car is the egr and the two lines to the charcoal canister that run to the throttle body.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 PM

i like this place already :-D ok thanks for the info on the ho status thats just a bit of info my dad juiced me up on ;-) ok im planning on maybe taking the car to the drag strip ocassionally but i will be driving it on the street (majority of on the street will be done with other vehicles) i just want a street modified so that i can be safe on the roads and still eat up the track and the cam i installed i wish i could give you technical details but the cam was given to me as a gift from a good friend that is very much into the racecar business he advised me that the cam would give me about 35hp what i do know is that it is a summit brand cam for street modified racing as for my engine nothing is hooked up but the heads to the block ...btw on my egr pump the brass valve on the egr broke off when i tried to remove it to clean :-\ the egr is still intact but do i need the lines? thank you very much for your help i wish i would have known about these forums long ago ;-) (like a year) :-p
Old 03-01-2007, 04:17 PM

I think you are confusing EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) and A.I.R. (air injection reaction). It sounds like you are describing A.I.R. It isn't necessary, but may cause some rich running under conditions. Not a big deal.

The Summit cam most likely will not be friendly to your TPI. The good news is '86 was a more friendly type, but you'll probably confuse the oxygen sensor with that cam, and disappointment will be the name of the game. You'd be much better off getting a computer compatible cam from Crane, Comp, Lunati, etc. Summit brand cams are old generic grinds, nothing special, made for carbs without feedback computers, and can generally be outrun by cams of only slightly more expense.

Removing "emissions" will basically do nothing to improve performance, in spite of what you may hear from the old timers.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:33 PM

hmm im talking about the small pump located on the intake under where the fuel rails used to be it was just a small rubber line going to the bottom of the pump but when it broke off it looked like there was a metering spring or something can i just block these small holes off and leave it be? on the oxygen sensor i removed the screen and installed a special chip for the computor if i remember correctly he told me it is a chip commonly used for these cars (for people that removed the screen in the m.a.f. ill try to get the information i still have the stock chip btw hmm other than that i would much appreciate guidance on the best things to do ;-) thanks a lot
Old 03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10
Sorry for my previous post, although I don't think my info was all that bad, if it wern't a tpi car (I was thinking it was an l69 because of the HO). It sounds like you are infact describing the egr valve. The part you are describing that broke off sounds like the electrical connector to the valve. It won't work with out it. Can you take a pic of it and show us? It may be fixable..
Old 03-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Well, there is no EGR "pump" or "lines".
Old 03-09-2007, 02:42 PM

umm im close to positive there is.. lol maybe not pump but egr valve after a little research i think what i broke off was a heat sensor that when warm closed off the hot air to the intake correct me if im wrong, also on my camaro on the back of the car it has a oem sticker plate that says HO Tuned Port injection i dont know im getting a lot of different opinions without a straight answer on the ho status :-\ anyway i deffineitly have a comp cam that was supposed to boost my car at least 35 hp (the guy that gave it to me knows what hes doing) now should i replace the lifters rods and rockers as well? i would like to get roller lifters roller rockers and performance rods .. is it worth it? thanks

Last edited by Sikone; 03-10-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: changed wording ;-)
Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Re: 1986 Iroc Z28 camaro 305ho tpi emissions

just got a 86 Z28 carb has got about 6 vac lines blocked off with rubber tube and bolts wonder what hooks up to them car runs
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: 1986 Iroc Z28 camaro 305ho tpi emissions

007 - Welcome Aboard.

It may be best to begin a new thread with your specific issues. This one is already ten years old and confused with TPI information/misinformation.