Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

where to get valve cover bolts...quick!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: LG4 305ci 4bbl
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt open diff.
where to get valve cover bolts...quick!

i was able to get the broken bolt out with a small flat head screwdriver with no damage....thank god.

HOWEVER....

i went to the hardware store and got bolts that were the same thread and just about the same length as the old valve cover bolts and they seemed to work but they wont tighten all the way and i dont know why. they're holding but they're nowhere near being tight enough..its drivable but it leaks oil the same if not worse than before and i'm NOT comfortable keeping those bolts in there for long.

i need to know where to get new valve cover bolts (specifically) for an 83 firebird LG4 with perimeter valve covers (the short 1/4 x20 bolt ones)

suggestions??
Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 S10 pickup 2700lbs
Engine: 4.3L Z TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 7.625"
Re: where to get valve cover bolts...quick!

probably wou;dnt tighten because they are too long

you could use studs like most of the LG4 engines did, especially the 1985 model year and 1983 and so on

go to junkyard and pull all kinds of them for free or cheap

use the load spreaders on them, dont forget that, or youll have leaks

wider the ones you use the better

the factory ones were super wide in the '80s and really nice

i have millions of the short lngth factory VC bolts/screws in all kind sof ocntainers and stuff around here but does no good being here and not where you are lol

if anything go by small time repair shops in your town and see if they have any laying around in drawers or buckets, etc

or if you have to shorten the ones you have so they dont bottom out the you can cut them by first threading a nut on them and then cutting them shorter and then grinding the cut end burs off and then threading the nut off them

or use a washer/spacer

this is a very minor problem here, easy to solve in many different ways

also jut to be trivial did you know that the very first years of the sbc engines(265ci and 283cifor example) used large round flat headed screws instead of hex head bolts for the VC's ?

i have some of them around too, they are pretty cool

good luck
Old 07-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like using studs for the valve covers. You put them in once and never remove them again- little chance of cross-threading or stipping them out. Plus they hold the gasket it place while you put the valve cover back on. Moroso and Mr. Gasket make sets of various lengths. Just install the stud with a screwdriver until it bottoms in the threads, tighten a little and you're ready to begin reassembly.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 350 Ramjet
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 9 bolt 3:27

The use of spreaders with either bolts or studs I think are required especially with chrome valve covers. I usually use red lock-tite when putting studs in just for extra security.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,290 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

They are ¼"-20 x whatever length your gaskets & VCs require.

I'll "third" the spreader recommendation, with sheet-metal VCs. Also, since it sounds like they've maybe been overtightened at some point in their life, I'd suggest taking them back off, removing the gaskets, and hammering the holes back out; get the sealing flange completely flat, and the holes a little bit higher than the rest of the flange, so that when you tighten them, they get pressure on the rest of the flange instead of it all being concentrated on the holes.

You want something like these right here. When you tighten them, tighten them until the center of them around the bolt hole just barely touches the VC, and not much farther. Your hardware should be ¼"-20 x 1" if you're using factory VCs; you can get stainless bolts at Lowe's or other hardware stores, Allen head ones even if you want that look, and stainless washers. BE SURE NOT TO make them bottom out in the holes!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 AM

Car: 96 Chevy P/U

Does anyone know if they make stud kits for centerbolt?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: LG4 305ci 4bbl
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt open diff.

thanks for all the input guys...i think i'm just going to get some small washers and try to get the bolts i have to work...if all else fails i'll go get the stud kit.

and i dont think the retainer clip things will work on the stock lg4...it looks like there's not enough room cuz there's a lot of stuff in the way. could be wrong though.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,290 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

could be wrong though
Yeah.... could be...

There's no difference in that area between the LG4 and any other SBC with perimeter-bolt valve covers. They all fit the same. I've been using them for years. In fact, I have a set of some like that right now, on my mostly stock L69.