Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car Takes a While To Turn Over??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Takes a While To Turn Over??

Just wondering if it is normal and/or if there is any "fix". My friend had a 91 RS and his car turned over right away. My 87 Iroc w/ 350 seems like it has a hard time turning over.. sometimes it turns over quicker but other times i can sit there for a good 10 seconds waiting for it to turn over.. just wondering if this is normal as it is a 20+ yr old car or if there is something that I can change out to help fix it.. thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Firebird, 90 bird coming soon
Engine: 355 Chevy Vortec Heads TPI, LT1 inj
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi 9-bolt
Re: Car Takes a While To Turn Over??

The term "turning over" refers to cranking. Is your engine cranking and not firing? What type of fuel system do you have? TPI, TBI or carb? This will help us help you. If TPI, check your fuel pump relay with a meter. From there we can eliminate issues.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

Originally Posted by birdtojag
The term "turning over" refers to cranking. Is your engine cranking and not firing? What type of fuel system do you have? TPI, TBI or carb? This will help us help you. If TPI, check your fuel pump relay with a meter. From there we can eliminate issues.

pretty much but cranking and turning over have to deal with the starter, flywheel etc, the starting system whereas the actual firing of the engine has to do with your fuel and possibly spark, my tbi varies depending on how i shut it off and what i was doing right before i killed it, if i roll up to my house and kill it in neutral before i let the idle drop it will start right up afterward, if it sits overnight it takes 4-5 seconds to fire.

Plus you should look at how well your "turning over" is it a weak whine where you can hear the engine struggle? or is it a consistant, strong crank?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is TPI. The cranking will vary. Sometimes it is a very slow crank while other times it cranks fast but in both cases it sometimes takes10 seconds to actually start. I mean there are times when I go to start the car and it starts in 2-3 seconds but the majority of the time it takes 10+
Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 AM

Car: 87 Firebird, 90 bird coming soon
Engine: 355 Chevy Vortec Heads TPI, LT1 inj
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi 9-bolt

You may have a few issues here. If the cranking speed varies during the turn over, then you may have compression issues. If when you are cranking it and it starts to get slower and slower, you may have a bad battery. You may need to check your fuel pump relay to make sure it is still good.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

if youve got the time (and patience) get a compression gauge and check each cylinder to rule out or prove the compression thing, id say fix that starting system even if it wont help the firing speed its still something you dont want on your car lol, the varying speed kinda worries me, if it cranks then slows down on the next one id say the battery is suspect like birdtojag said and possibly the wiring depending on where you live and how the corrosion rate is there, ive seen cars with new bateries and starters but corroded cables from hell that would crank like an old beater on its last leg.