Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

L98 350 TPI rebuild, need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 373
L98 350 TPI rebuild, need help

Hello everyone! I am so grateful to see a forum and following of other thrid gen owners out there! My first car I ever owned was a 3rd gen firebird and 15 years later I get another 3rd gen firebird.

I own a 1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with the 350 5.7l TPI engine (vin code 8). I want to have my engine rebuilt during the winter but I have a small dilemma. Working on cars is a new hobby and I don't know much about cars even though I have done stuff like pulling the upper intake, replacing almost all emission sensors, and a handful of other things. I don't know much about the engine and would like some advice from the forum members.

For me, the most important decision on what to do with my car depends on my ultimate goal for the car. I decided that I would like to keep my TA numbers matching as closely as possible, but with a few minor super stock mods. I want to keep my car emissions friendly but rebuild the engine to get more HP than bone stock. Sure, changing out stock parts for after market replacements doesn't keep the car numbers matching, however I am not worried about points in a show, I want an original TA with all TA type parts that goes faster than stock. That is pretty much my goal.

As far as horsepower is concerned, I am not looking to top 350 at all. I want something modest but more than the rated 220 HP that this engine originally had. I was looking at replacement cams and rockers but don't know what to get as it makes no sense to me at all. Second, I want to keep the cast heads but am thinking of boring the heads because of the age and because the heads will need to be remachined anyways. Considering the boring of the heads, I know I need new pistons, but how does that affect the engine in comparison with the cams?

Maybe I need a little 101 class on automobile engines, but I was hoping that there was someone that could offer suggestions in the way of replacement cams, rockers, pistons, etc. that doesn't require any other mods like intake, exhaust, transmission, etc. Don't get me wrong, after the engine break in comes the new headers and exhaust but that comes after the engine.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-24-2008, 06:20 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Re: L98 350 TPI rebuild, need help

I moved this to the general engine area in hopes of getting you some answers.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 PM

No replies..

I am going to take it to the local pro shop and pay them for the consultancy, much easier that way. Thanks anyways.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 88' L98 w/92 tpi conversion
Axle/Gears: Stock one tire Fire!

Hey john, how many miles are on the engine? Are you sure it even needs rebuilt? if it doesnt u can still perform mods on it like cam, headers, intake, or even higher flow heads.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 PM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s

I highly recommend that you buy a few books on the matter. Whan I find my books, I'll give you a few titles that I really like and learned a ton from them. I recently moved to Florida, so some things are still not found.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by SSWOLZ02
Hey john, how many miles are on the engine? Are you sure it even needs rebuilt? if it doesnt u can still perform mods on it like cam, headers, intake, or even higher flow heads.
Thanks for the reply. The engine has 92k original miles, 100% bone stock. I am not happy with the 220 hp on this engine and would like to bump it up to 350 hp in the engine alone. I do plan on upgrading the intake, exhaust, headers, and trans after the base engine rebuild. I want to keep the original block.

The engine is in decent shape but I want to make it bulletproof since it is winter and I have the money. I am looking for some suggestions in regards to heads, cams, lifters, etc that is a good fit for my car.

I keep hearing about the ZZ4 cam in this engine. If I decide to go with this cam, what else do I need for this engine, IE type of heads, lifters, etc.? Should I base my upgrade decisions off of the desired cam or should I focus on something else?

This is all new to me. I don't mind learning about this, however I don't want to make any mistakes that will cost me. This is my baby and I can not afford to experiment on her, I want her fast and reliable.

John

Last edited by NuklearFusion; 01-13-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM

You could do what quite a few of us have done: LT4 Hot Cam, Vortec heads(machined for higher lift). 1.6 RR, Holley vortec Steath Ram intake, Dyno Don 1 3/4" headers and Y pipe, Magnaflow cat back and some prom tuning, should put you over 350 hp
Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by TransAM Joe
You could do what quite a few of us have done: LT4 Hot Cam, Vortec heads(machined for higher lift). 1.6 RR, Holley vortec Steath Ram intake, Dyno Don 1 3/4" headers and Y pipe, Magnaflow cat back and some prom tuning, should put you over 350 hp
Thank you very much TransAM Joe for the feedback! I am open to hearing about all the possible options for my engine and car, this is just a new territory for me.

Two questions about your post. First, was there any difficulties installing the Vortec heads? Second, did you replace the ECM altogether for this setup or did you have a PROM burned for the original ECM?

I am going to take a look at those items and see what it is gonna cost. I guess I am looking for anyone's opinion on a good setup that knows my car. I am looking forward to the day I can spank the hell out of my buddy's 1972 Chevelle with a 383 stroker in my Firechicken! It may not be a 70's classic, but I love my Firebird and love the features that this car came with for the price. What a kick butt car..

Last edited by NuklearFusion; 01-13-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Donkey is a swear word?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM

No trouble, vortec heads will bolt right up, a few things that they must have: self aligning Rocker arms, center bolt valve covers and a vortec specific intake.

You can reprogram your PROM, but a vortec timing/fuel tables need to be adjusted differently than any other head, most people have luck starting with a B body LT1 timing table or a late 90's vortec headed truck table.

I chose the stand alone Holley commander 950 because I have worked with it before and it's super easy to tune and uses speed density which I prefer instead of MAF. Again a few things are different, no Torque converter lock up feature on the 950, some repining required to retain all factory connectors, mostly on the fuel pump side.

To wrap up I started with my stock PROM and tuned about 30 chips and got a best 339hp. I'm sure there was more to be had, but I had a 950 laying around from a boat motor I did a while back. Started with one of the pre made tunes from the software,datalogged and tuned about half a day then made 390 hp, no other changes than the 950.