Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

So how do we feel about storing a car and not starting it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 AM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac
So how do we feel about storing a car and not starting it?

A search showed many mixed opinions.

So here's the deal. I store my car in the winter. For a short time (5 months). Before I store it, it gets an oil change, Stabil in the gas, and I disconnect the battery. The coolant is a 50/50 mix, and is on the newer side. The garage NEVER falls under freezing temperatures. So once I disconnect the battery, I let it sit for 5 months. In the past 6-7 years, I've never had a problem firing it up in the spring, always runs great.

My friend insists by letting it sit for 5 months, that I am slowly killing all my gaskets (intake, head gaskets....etc). I disagree with this. In my opinion, 5 months is nothing. His logic is "gaskets expand from getting warm, when they're never warm they get brittle".

I've also heard letting it sit that long, will cause "all" of your oil to go to your pan, creating a dry start. Every time I start it in the spring, I have instant oil pressure. There is absolutely no hesitation building the oil pressure like when you change the oil.

Just curious on your guys opinion. Many people in my area store their cars like me since it is not long term. I haven't heard of any horror stories yet. I really don't like the idea of all the condensation getting the car warmed up in cold temperatures.

Last edited by IROCThe5.7L; 02-03-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: \
Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So how do we feel about storing a car and not starting it?

doesnt everyone with a sports car store them in the winter? i cant really see it screwing anything up. although i dont know about you but i find it impossible to let my car sit alone. its seems every week im out to the other garage starting it and listening to it, pretending im driving.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56

I store a couple every year. The only thing I learned is to make sure you have a full tank of gas. Condensation in my tank screwed my sender 1 year.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:42 AM

Car: 1987 pontiac trans am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700 R 4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by IROCThe5.7L
A search showed many mixed opinions.

So here's the deal. I store my car in the winter. For a short time (5 months). Before I store it, it gets an oil change and I disconnect the battery. The coolant is a 50/50 mix, and is on the newer side. The garage NEVER falls under freezing temperatures. So once I disconnect the battery, I let it sit for 5 months. In the past 6-7 years, I've never had a problem firing it up in the spring, always runs great.

My friend insists by letting it sit for 5 months, that I am slowly killing all my gaskets (intake, head gaskets....etc). I disagree with this. In my opinion, 5 months is nothing. His logic is "gaskets expand from getting warm, when they're never warm they get brittle".

I've also heard letting it sit that long, will cause "all" of your oil to go to your pan, creating a dry start. Every time I start it in the spring, I have instant oil pressure. There is absolutely no hesitation building the oil pressure like when you change the oil.

Just curious on your guys opinion. Many people in my area store their cars like me since it is not long term. I haven't heard of any horror stories yet. I really don't like the idea of all the condensation getting the car warmed up in cold temperatures.
I did the same thing last year and had no problems although i have been working on it this year and have been starting it once a month and it seems to be fine so i would think both are ok
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 1984 z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 4.11

The only thing I do as a precaution on the initail start up in the spring is to pull the plugs and just crank the motor over until I see my oil pressure rise. Since the plugs are out the motor spins freely and builds oil pressure quick to lube the entire motor. Other than that the steps you take before storing your car are good and you should be ok.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Car: 1989 iroc
Axle/Gears: 2.77

i do the same. i add stabil and a full tank of gas. i also change the oil before i start it. never had a problem.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 1984 z28
Engine: 355
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 4.11

Originally Posted by ml258-89iroc
i do the same. i add stabil and a full tank of gas. i also change the oil before i start it. never had a problem.
I know your in east jesus kenmore but check out this local site if your interested.

http://www.rochesterracing.com/
Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 AM

Car: 1989 iroc
Axle/Gears: 2.77

kenmore is a suburb of buffalo. i do work in rochester at the airport. cool site. thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: No more birdy

I let them all sit for extened periods of time. Disconnecting the battery is great most people dont do that! The only downside is the seals on the crank the front and the RMS do tend to have oil run down drying the top portion. This can cause a leak but its not likey unless were talking years of storage even then its unlikely. The bearings seem to be eveyones big issue but a little secret is bearings wont run dry unless were talking 30 years. How many of you have pulled apart and engine that has been sitting for 5+ years and found dry bearings? I havent seen one bearing that doesent have a coat of oil on it. The major problem spots when sitting are fuel, tires and brake system. Fuel goes bad thats why we have stabel tires crack that why we have jack stands. As far as the brake seals thats a toss up. Flushing the brake system every few years seems to be the safest bet but condesation and just the nasty nature of the fluid loves to eat seals so that one is kinda out of our control. Newer brake fluid claims to be safer for rubber seals but I havent really used enough of it to have an opinion on it. Maybe one of out chemical gurus can chime in here and tell us if the new fluid still makes rubber grow.

Last edited by SSC; 02-03-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: cant type on laptop. lol
Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60

When I shut down the SB2 for the year, I also use fogging oil on the cylinder walls.