Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need help with Walbro install (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Need help with Walbro install (pics)

Trying to install my Walbro fuel pump today, I got as far as putting the sock on the new pump, but it won't clear the bracket! I also think it may be the wrong sock, it is kind of big (see pics) but I don't want to test fit it as that is supposed to be a one time installation part.

My first instinct was to just trim the bracket but I figured I better run that by the people on this board first, maybe I am just doing it wrong.

The instructions for the pump installation sure have too many words and make it confusing. It's been suggested by others to ditch the pulsator, should I do that as well?

Sock looks too big

Sock neck does not clear the mounting bracket and the fuel pump does not stick through enough to secure it.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9"
Re: Need help with Walbro install (pics)

well it looks nothing like the oem sock. not sure if it is supposed to or not. make sure the sock faces the same way as oem did. if the inlet to the pump is different than oem id call walbro and ask (if it was supplied). i did ditch the pulsator, didnt like the way it fit in there and heard too many horror stories. its your choice tho.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:22 PM

So what happens if I get the sock angled wrong?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56

It'll most likely flip off the end of the pump.
Trim the rubber grommet at the bottom of the pump.
Hammer that sock on in the right position. But do it in the air. You don't want the shock going through the pump.
Shove it all in the tank.
Mine was the same way.
I didn't re-use my pulsator. I just replaced it with some J30R10 hose.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 PM

Ok well I just cut the factory bracket the opposite side of the weld (the bottom bracket for the fuel pump) and removed the pulsator, replaced it with EFI hose included with my installation kit. I hammered the sock on there and the pump is just kind of sitting there, not really in the bottom mount very well, it doesn't fit that well with the adapter I was supplied, but I don't think it's going anywhere.

I hope I got the sock on there right, I just hope the crimps on the power lead don't ever come loose and blow me up. I hate it when that happens.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Supreme Member

Pull the insulator off the old pump and shove it on the new one. Then bend the bracket on the sending unit around the new pump. It won't go anywhere.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Car: 2011 Cummins HO
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.43

Whats a pulsator? Sounds erotic!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ricco
Whats a pulsator? Sounds erotic!
You put a quarter in it and your fuel tanks pulsates.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:11 PM

Car: 2011 Cummins HO
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.43

Seriously... I'm guessing its that weird looking peice of plastic half way up the sender unit??
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ricco
Seriously... I'm guessing its that weird looking peice of plastic half way up the sender unit??
Yeah it is the little box looking thing immediately above your fuel pump.

On another note, does anyone know if you can order the Racetronix Walbro-GM harness they include with their pump kits by itself? I just don't think I am going to be able to bring myself to put this thing back together and turn the key with a crimped hot wire in my fuel tank. I need a pinned connector but suck at that sort of thing.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by vilespankmachin
Trying to install my Walbro fuel pump today, I got as far as putting the sock on the new pump, but it won't clear the bracket! I also think it may be the wrong sock, it is kind of big (see pics) but I don't want to test fit it as that is supposed to be a one time installation part.

My first instinct was to just trim the bracket but I figured I better run that by the people on this board first, maybe I am just doing it wrong.

The instructions for the pump installation sure have too many words and make it confusing. It's been suggested by others to ditch the pulsator, should I do that as well?

Sock looks too big

Sock neck does not clear the mounting bracket and the fuel pump does not stick through enough to secure it.

The filter sock you have is a Nylon mesh sock. This sock is rated at being able to filter a 70 micron or larger particle. All HP Walbro pumps require a graded-media filter sock which filters down to 30 microns. Using a 70 micron filter sock will shorten the life of your pump.

The reason your sock does not fit is because you have a non-machined pump usually meant to be used in Ford applications. Walbro pumps used for your application (many early GM models) are suppose to be machined to fit a press-on filter sock:

http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...kc=FPK-835&eq=

http://www.racetronix.com/F20000169vs340.html
Old 04-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Supreme Member

So now Walbro is including sub standard filters with their pumps?
Mine's staying now.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Viprklr
So now Walbro is including sub standard filters with their pumps?
Mine's staying now.
Perhaps the kit you purchased was meant to be used with a bucket in which case the primary filter would be 30 micron? Either way you have the wrong filter sock to be used as the primary filter protecting the pump. The 400-812 is the kit which includes the proper filter sock for a Mustang in this style:
http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...kc=FPK-812&eq=
If you had the correct 'M' series pump and filter you would not have to modify your sender. You would also have the proper shaped rubber pump mount with the teardrop hole.

This type of application is a prime example of why Walbro does not offer warranty on their HP pumps.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the help from the Racetronix guys, I would have bought my kit from you guys but I found you too late. I actually have ALSO found out I had the wrong pump as well, I was sent a 190 LpH pump instead of the 255 that I ordered, so I sent that back. Seeing as how I've already cut my sending unit up to mount the pump, my new problem is the wiring. I bought a Walbro connector to GM style connector harness from Lingenfelter (once again, if I had bought from Racetronix I would not be in this mess) but I have already cut the factory connector for the original pump off and am trying to repin it.

Does ANYONE have any idea where I can get new pins in the same style that crimp & insert into the factory plug? I have no idea what they are called or what to search for. The connection end is square with a extra tab extending from one corner to lock it in the connector. I can possibly provide a picture, don't know if the camera will focus on something that small. I searched for "crimp pins" on ebay and google, I can't find anything like what I need. Radioshack and the autoparts store are clueless.

Should I just look into getting a new/used sending unit that isn't butchered? Thanks for any help.

Racetronix, if I need anything that you sell in the future, you are on the top of my list.

Where I did buy my current install kit & pump from is TPI Parts, the install kit is crap and I got the wrong pump, to their credit however the wrong pump was in the right box and matched what I ordered, that may not even be their fault. The install kit looks to be the standard one offered with most Walbro pumps, but nowhere near as nice as the ones Racetronix or a few other places provide. They are working with me to get the correct pump & new install kit.