Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

im confused and in need of help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac trans am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
im confused and in need of help!

88 lo3 , i did an upper engine rebuild after a blown head gasket " new seals on valves " , after putting it back together it ran rich , so i brought it home and tried to find out what it was , later i found out that my drivers side exhaust manifold was loose and so i tightened it and that fixed the problem for a little bit , the problem came back as soon as i set my timing to 0* TDC , ever since then i cant get the white smoke to go away , i was getting a couple of codes " one wich was a coolant temp sensor " so i replaced it and now i have no codes , and still runs rich , i have gone through 2 oxygen sensor because of the rich condition , i dont know what else to do , im not an expert mechanic but i am willing to give it a try , what else could it be , i have no SES light and it runs like crap , i even tried advancing the timing " since im running 91 octane" and it ran worse , what else could it be ? could some sensor have got messed up after running so rich for so long , any suggestions?