Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car sputters at idle, and WOT

Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 camaro RS, 87 T/A
Engine: 350 TBI, 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.42/BW 3.45
Car sputters at idle, and WOT

Ok, so in my quest to get my New T/A up and running perfect i seem to have hit a snag. My mechanic attributed my surge at idle to bad plugs and wires. Boy was he correct, my plugs and wires were not up to par to say the least. I replaced them with NGK v power plugs, gapped to .035 with moroso wires. Took me about 4 hours to do myself on a lift cursing GM engineers the whole way. But i thought this would solve my problem. It did for about a day, car ran great no surge no nothing however WOT still did not feel correct. Ive had this problem with WOT where i feel as if its not responsive enough till higher RPMs' It doesnt pull like i feel like it should. Its sluggish and slow to accelerate till higher RPMS where i really feel that torque kick in.

Needless to say my surge came back, sometimes the car surges and will cut off. Most of the time it doesnt though, rpms will just surge up or down about 200-400.

I have done the following 87 305 tpi
plugs and wires
new IAC
Plugs and wires

My other car, a 350TBI RS pulled noticably harder when i put the pedal to the floor, but my T/A seems to just slowly glide along till higher RPMS, and this little surge is annoying.

Any hints of what direction to go in now?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: factory T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 limited slip
Re: Car sputters at idle, and WOT

Have you checked your tps?
http://www.iroczone.com/2009/10/adju...on-sensor-tps/

Some other basics you may be overlooking are to check your base timing and check/clean your maf.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 300hpse
Have you checked your tps?
http://www.iroczone.com/2009/10/adju...on-sensor-tps/

Some other basics you may be overlooking are to check your base timing and check/clean your maf.
Yea, i set the tps when i replaced the IAC, also the MAF is all clean, its a refurbished one. Timing is good also, verified by my mechanic when i had the car in his shop about a month ago. Ive had this problem for like 2 months.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Try maybe disconnecting the charcoal canister from the intake and see if that fixes it (just temporarily, to check if it's the problem). A fuel pressure check may also be a good idea, you can atleast pull the vac line off of the fpr and check it for fuel (leaking diaphram, there shouldnt be any in the vac line).

Another thing you may want to do is field service mode. What you do is use a paperclip to ground the diagnostic terminal on the aldl connector (same process as checking codes with a clip). Heres a little more detail in a quote from Vader:
Field Service Mode

On the OBDI ECMs, you can jump 'A' and 'B' terminals on the ALDL while the engine is running.

WARNING! This must be done after the engine is running. This is called "Field Service Mode" and will not harm the ECM.

If the ECM is in Open-Loop mode, the SES light will flash rapidly, about 2½ times per second. If it's in Closed-Loop mode, it will flash about once per second. When in Closed Loop mode, flashing less than once per second indicates the ECM is enriching the mixture above the 128 count base line. Flashing more than once per second indicates the ECM is leaning the mixture below the 128 base line.
Let us know the results you get.

Another simple test to do yourself is get a multimeter and check the injectors. You just unclip the wires from them one at a time with the car off and check the resistance by touching your multimeter contacts to the 2 contacts on the injector. They should be somewhere around 14-16 ohms, but more importantly, they should all be very close to each other.

Without access to a scanner, you pretty much just have to check things one at a time and try to narrow the problem down. What's your mechanical ability and how's your access to tools? I dont want to be overly descriptive of something you may know or not be helpful enough if you aren't too familiar with a lot of this.

Last edited by 300hpse; 11-09-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

i have a ? on checking the voltage if you unplug the wires from the injector why would there still be voltage in it
Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Youre not checking voltage, youre checking the resistance (ohms), 2 different things.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86' IROC-Z....and 5 other 3rdgens
Engine: 383 hsr
Transmission: built 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 3.23, 10bolt

any dtc's?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

oooh okay thank you
Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by cIaRmOaCrZo
any dtc's?

Whats a DTC? And ill try and get out and check those things today or tomorrow, Charcoal canister, injectors and ecm. Im not throwing any codes but im assuming this ecm check is checking my fuel mixture from what you posted. is this correct? And with the charcoal canister, just disconnect it, take it for a spin and then see if that fixes the problem? Today when driving out of the garage i gave it some throttle and it pulled hard, like it should so this is definatly intermittent.

One thing i did notice. On a TPI engine, coming off the throttle body there is a rubber hose, that plugs into a hard metal line, this metal line goes down the passenger side valve cover and just stops, nothing is connected after that. Could this be the problem? i did a TB coolant bypass also but had this problem before and after the issue.